PLATEAU ????

Options
HELP ME ! I was doing so well , went from 217 and now im bouncing between 188-190. The pounds were shedding off and i was averaging 1.5 - 2 lbs off per week but NOW ive been stuck at 188 - 190 lbs since April 8th , having the scale not move for the first time is making me frusturated :neutral: Have i hit a plateau ? I'm 5'10 and would like to get down to 160 ! I would also like to be down to 170-175 but the end of June. I'm not to sure if i've been doing something wrong or if it is just becoming harder because i weigh less now. I stick to healthy foods for the most part but , i allow myself a treat from time to time. I work in a gym so i usually work out after my shift. I do weight training and cardio but , maybe i should be working harder ? I'm worried , frustrated and a bit discouraged. I just want to loose this weight already. I know i need to be patient but , if there is anything i need to be doing to help get these pounds off please let me know !

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    can you cut a few more calories per day or go for long walks? every time i go to disneyland (we go a lot), i burn like crazy from walking for hours. also is it possible that something you're eating regularly has a wrong amount of calories listed in the MFP database? one guy here was eating something every day and logging at 49 calories (he found it in the database) but it turned out to be over 400 calories per serving.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Oh wow that crazy ! I do not eat the same things everyday , i change it up as best as i can. I do eat bananas, strawberries, and oranges throughout the week with my breakfast or as a snack . My breakfasts consist of fruit , oatmeal or toast with peanut butter. sometimes ill have go lean crunch cereal. Lunches are sometimes a salad , soup , or some type of sandwhich like egg salad. Dinners vary , my boyfriends mom is italian and she is a very good cook! usually have a salad with dinner , some type of carb , and a meat like chicken , steak, or homemade burgers. The other day she made spaghetti squash enchilada boats and they were fantastic ! She usually cooks healthy and i make sure i am controlling my portions.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    10 days is not a long time to be considered a plateau. Your body is adjusting to the new changes. Continue eating right, staying in your calorie limits and drink plenty of water. The weight will come off in no time.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    10 days is not a long time to be considered a plateau. Your body is adjusting to the new changes. Continue eating right, staying in your calorie limits and drink plenty of water. The weight will come off in no time.

Thank you for being positive ! It is frustrating seeing the scale drop every week to not seeing it move or fluctuate 2 lbs between ten days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think you've been told in other threads not to expect weight loss to be linear. This is just weight loss being its normal nonlinear self.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

That was very helpful ! Wasn't sure what you meant by linear but i get it now. I do need to be patient and i should be proud of what i HAVE lost , and youre right i am trying to focus on FAT loss rather then weight loss. Hopefully with time ill be nice and toned ! ALready have been noticing some muscle build in my body and it feels great. Thanks xo.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

That was very helpful ! Wasn't sure what you meant by linear but i get it now. I do need to be patient and i should be proud of what i HAVE lost , and youre right i am trying to focus on FAT loss rather then weight loss. Hopefully with time ill be nice and toned ! ALready have been noticing some muscle build in my body and it feels great. Thanks xo.

That's the way to do it. You'll get there :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Fluctuating 2 lbs for 10 days is completely normal. It happens to me regularly. Just when I'm convinced I'm not gonna lose any more weight, Whoosh! A few more pounds come off. I've lost 138 lbs like this!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    This just happened to me. The reason was I was just before ovulation. The day after had a whoosh.
  • ericbfline87
    ericbfline87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, I've lost 45lbs since November 17 of last year, and I've sat at certain weights for a couple weeks before, floating up and down 2-4lbs every time. It sucks to see that happen the first time, but it doesn't bother me anymore. It's just part of what your body does without extreme dieting. Be proud of how far you've come already, that's an awesome weight loss! And just keep doing what your doing
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Wonderful attitude, keep up the good work! :smile:

And don't forget to focus on your calories as well as your exercise. They say losing weight is 80% food and 20% exercise, this has rung true for me.