Yoga?

Options
KristyMichelle92
KristyMichelle92 Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't get exercise, hardly ever. I can't really afford my local gym (it's really nice and quite overpriced), but I do actually like to exercise. With how my schedule is I find it so hard to find the time. My husband goes to work during the day and has the car, so I can't go to the gym or the park or anything. I can't walk where I live, its a heavily trafficked area with no side walks. Anyways, I'm thinking I may start taking a walk with my husband in the mornings every morning at the park before work. I'm wanting to do something at home while he's at work though that isn't super loud (like jumping jacks) because people live below me. I'm thinking of doing some of the youtube yoga videos, because it also helps with anxiety which I have.

Does it really have any impact on your fitness though? Should I even consider it a workout? I mean I do consider it good for health, I just don't know if it helps with weight loss or anything. My main goal is that in a few years I want to be able to have a baby. With PCOS, the highest chance that I will have at a healthy baby are to have a healthy body. I already went down from 299 to 260, just from cutting out meat, refined sugar, and smoking. Now, I really think that I need to work on the fitness aspect, since I've been stuck at this 260 for over a year now.

Anyone had any success with yoga at all?

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to do DDP yoga, it'll make you sweat and is a killer workout.
  • KristyMichelle92
    Options
    I used to do DDP yoga, it'll make you sweat and is a killer workout.

I've always read that it was fantastic, I may actually try that. Thank you :)
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I saw this article last year, and I think it may inspire you ;)

huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12/11/obese-man-loses-weight-with-yoga_n_8781368.html

I LOVE yoga. I got really attached to Bikram Yoga, which can be super pricey, but you can buy the audio guide and the book to practice at home. It's an incredible workout for the body and mind, but I've always found yoga to be more effective in a class than alone. That's a personal observation, though. I like to have a teacher that can correct my form if I'm off, and having the energy of the other students to carry me through when I feel tired.

If it burns calories and you like it, it will work. Just remember that yoga is not a race, it's not a competition. You do what your body can do each day, and whatever that is, it's okay. And if you mess up or fall out of a pose or fart or wobble, that's okay too. Smile, giggle, and be joyful...it's just yoga :blush:
  • KristyMichelle92
    Options
    MlleKelly wrote: »
    I saw this article last year, and I think it may inspire you ;)

huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12/11/obese-man-loses-weight-with-yoga_n_8781368.html

I LOVE yoga. I got really attached to Bikram Yoga, which can be super pricey, but you can buy the audio guide and the book to practice at home. It's an incredible workout for the body and mind, but I've always found yoga to be more effective in a class than alone. That's a personal observation, though. I like to have a teacher that can correct my form if I'm off, and having the energy of the other students to carry me through when I feel tired.

If it burns calories and you like it, it will work. Just remember that yoga is not a race, it's not a competition. You do what your body can do each day, and whatever that is, it's okay. And if you mess up or fall out of a pose or fart or wobble, that's okay too. Smile, giggle, and be joyful...it's just yoga :blush:

Thank you :) I'm about to read the article right now. Your response was funny, adorable, and helpful lol. I appreciate it!
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ashtanga & vinyasa flows I'm sure have calorie burn. You could also try Pilates or a barre video & just use a chair & the wall.
  • KristyMichelle92
    Options
    I am looking into the Yoga with Adriene on youtube. She has a "yoga bootcamp 30 day challenge" I may do. I do like all of these suggestions on here, though, for whenever I am finished.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Low impact cardio like Walk At Home may be an option too. These are great because there is no choreography. You can start at your own pace, and there is no jumping required. I do this on a carpeted floor.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

I also like yoga. Any exercise you like - it's all good

This is Jessica Smith, she's very encouraging.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUzcdRE30gzp7TZS7LpN2stTpG2hfKbFdso helpful
  • breeana1202
    breeana1202 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my friend and I started yoga at her house before doing hip hop abs (shaun T) for 30 mins. Yoga we worked out to was free on brighthouse on demand (if you have) for 20-30 mins. All was going great and I absolutely loved the yoga; great for stretching and priming you for tougher excercise. Only suggestion is go slow starting. I pulled my groin muscle and haven't been able to workout in two weeks. But when healed I am definately going back to our yoga routine. Love it. Also check on craigslist periodically people are selling work out dvds alot on there cheap, along with excercise equipment. If you are in mindset you'll be able to stick with it even without a workout partner.