Lisfranc Fracture/Injury - Knowledge Sharing

Options
Yarahuan
Yarahuan Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I experienced a Lisfranc dislocation on Feb 17, 2016 and underwent surgery on March 10. I was moved to a rigid cast 2 weeks later and am waiting for next appointment (April 22) to learn what the next step is. Between the way the foot feels now, and that I have been reading a lot about this injury, am afraid am in for the long haul, so I am looking for people with the same condition to share knowledge, nutrition and exercise tips to learn and then share my experience.

I am 51 years old, I like triathlons and am hoping I can return to do this again. I am motivated and am not really looking for emotional support. It is what it is now, and am working on getting better to come back to do what I love and live a great life.

Replies

• sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Not the exact same injuries but I fractured my 5th metatarsal and had bone bruise on 3rd and 4th nutrition wise make sure you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D, just found out I'm vitamin D deficient and dr says it's probably the reason my foot is healing so slowly.... Also listen to dr about how often you should be on it. Rushing back to normal activity level will make things worse in the long run
  • Yarahuan
    Options
    Thanks much Sarah
    Was the calcium prescribed or an OTC choice? If so any preferred product/brand?
  • spacegirllost
    spacegirllost Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not a good person to give advice on it. I'm about 4 yrs post op and hardware removal with arthritis setting in where my dislocation was. I'm just having to power through it and hoping once I reach my weight loss goal that the reduction of weight on that joint will help things. :\ Unfortunately I was not advised to due any physical therapy but I'm thinking it would have been a good idea since my gait is pretty off and standing on my toes to reach anything isn't possible on that injured foot. I have zero strength in it. As for exercise or nutrition... wasn't given any info on that. I basically just do my best and listen to what my body is telling me as far as what is too much. So not much help I'm sure.

It's a hell of an injury though, isn't it? I don't often come across people who have experienced it.
  • Yarahuan
    Options
    Yes it is spacegirllost, this injury is no joke. I "am" a runner and had a bad one and was training 6 days/week so am with you. See pics

jixb5e626yzb.jpeg

Thanks for the PT advice. I'll take it and will ask for it on the 4/22 . This is exactly the reason I started this discussion. Thank you again.
    image.jpeg 1007.3K
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    How did you injure it, if I may ask?
  • Yarahuan
    Options
    Thanks for your question. At work unloading equipment from my truck.
  • sarahkanzalone
    Options
    Yarahuan wrote: »
    Thanks much Sarah
    Was the calcium prescribed or an OTC choice? If so any preferred product/brand?

The calcium and Vitamin D were prescribed by Dr but was given OTC as he only wrote script to make sure I got right dosages

I also would talk to dr about PT my gait got thrown off by crutches plus a boot (if you get a boot next get a shoes for other foot that's close in height to boot. It's suppose to help reduce gait issues and don't wear any shoe you want to wear once healed as they end up being super worn out in one shoe and not the other) didn't do PT and can definitely tell limitations in foot and gait and think PT might have helped
  • Yarahuan
    Options
    Thanks again. Will keep all suggestions in mind. You are absolutely right about wearing off faster the shoe on the good foot with the crutches, especially the heal. Live and learn.
  • sarahkanzalone
    Options
    I killed two pairs of shoes I really like because of that so I figure I'd share to save you the pain. I was surprised when I had the same issue with boot but I think my body was still not wanting to put weight on that foot so even without crutches I still put more weight on good foot causing uneven wear
  • Yarahuan
    Options
    Update 04/23/2016 - Cast came out yesterday and it was replaced with boot for 6 more NO WEIGHT bearing weeks until new assessment so that will add to a total of 12 weeks. Mid foot is fusing well and HW is expected to stay there for life unless it creates problems later.

Learnings from yesterday:
    - Foot was beyond dry and dead skin and flaking so read before your appointment, not after like me to start finding ways to treat that and running to the store.
    - Hot foot baths and a Dr Scholls abrasive rubbing stone are making the trick to treat hydration and dead skin. Nivea deep moisturizing lotion is working very well after that. If you guys have further tricks, please share.
    - Moving ankle and toes as much as I can was prescribed to incentive muscle maintenance.