pasta servings?

Options
how do y'all measure pasta? dry or cooked? the box says 2/3 cup 200 calories.

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Dry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »

That would be cooked...

Most pasta I buy gives the dry (uncooked) weight as the serving size.
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The pasta I have right now has an uncooked serving as 75g and 270 calories. I have no idea how many grams 2/3 a cup is but maybe you do.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think the whole wheat pasta i buy is 56g (dry) per 200 calorie serving. Could be wrong as I'm at work right now.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    On a digital food scale, 2 oz of dry pasta is one serving (200 cal)
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone! I think I have been counting it wrong.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Dry with a scale.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Dry with food scale is right. I rarely eat pasta, but when I do I go for the big 3.5 oz dry serving. Very satisfying, esp. if you use barilla's protein pasta.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank y'all for the help. i will try the protein one next!
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    dry, mine says 85g (dry) and its so sad to look at uncooked haha.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »

I measure dry, but you can find cooked pasta measurements and calories in the MFP database.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    dry, mine says 85g (dry) and its so sad to look at uncooked haha.

So sad! I think that every time I weigh out my pasta! It looks so pathetic I do a serving and a half.
  • scolaris
    Options
    Yes I would rather eat it less often and enjoy it to satiety when I have it!
  • scolaris
    Options
    Just had barilla's protein spaghetti with homemade Piedmontese meatballs last week when my daughter was home from college.
    So. Damn. Good.
  • krish385
    krish385 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have a related question...when you're cooking pasta for multiple people, how do you figure out the amount you ate? Obviously the weight's a lot different after it's cooked. Do you cook your serving separately? I usually just weigh it when it's dry so I know the total weight and eyeball my proportionate share...probably not a good strategy.

Edit: I just saw the post above that mentions there are entries for cooked pasta that I can use. Duh.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thanks y'all. yeah definitely not something i can fit in everyday. there is not that much for the calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    krish385 wrote: »
    I have a related question...when you're cooking pasta for multiple people, how do you figure out the amount you ate? Obviously the weight's a lot different after it's cooked. Do you cook your serving separately? I usually just weigh it when it's dry so I know the total weight and eyeball my proportionate share...probably not a good strategy.

Edit: I just saw the post above that mentions there are entries for cooked pasta that I can use. Duh.

The entry for cooked pasta is a good idea.

I recently saw someone here who cooks her pasta separately in a metal colander so she doesn't have to use a second pot. I thought that was pretty clever.
  • krish385
    krish385 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That is clever! I will give it a shot. Probably more accurate, since the amount of water absorbed probably varies a bit. Thanks for the tip!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have made for every pasta or rice kind two entrees in my data list.
    Cooked and uncooked

So i started with the uncooked 56 gram = 200 calories ( for example) Cooked the 56 gram and when cooked weighed it again so i had the cooked amount too.

Now it doesn't matter if i have it cooked or dry it is always right when i choice the right option to log it. I did this also for meat and potatoes etc.
    I do this with every new food that i get. And i never have to do it again.
    Some find it a lot of work, but for me to figure out later how much cooked is ( when my husband cooked something without weighing upfront) was more annoying.

• reddevil614
    reddevil614 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    per usda, 140 grams of cooked pasta is equal to 221 calories....definitely a sad little pile for this full-blooded sicilian lol