Is it me or does skim milk taste watery sometimes?

Options
I've always been on the bigger side so I've been drinking skim milk since I was a young kid, the pediatrician told my mom I should drink skim instead of whole because it had too much fat that I didn't need. My skinny sister drinks regular and we both think the other milk tastes weird. Anyway so I'm not a stranger to skim milk, but today it tasted a lot like water to me. I never noticed that before. And whole milk to me tastes like cream, yuck.

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I think it depends in part on the brand of milk - did you buy a different skim one this time around? Have you been drinking 1% or 2% more consistently for a while and recently went back to skim?

Whole milk tasting too strong is most likely due to your taste buds being used to skim. I grew up drinking 1% and only will drink whole with cereal.

~Lyssa
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You've been lied to all your life about fat in your milk and your other food. Stick around. Something tells me that you have been living with the evidence all your life.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is water that's lying about being milk
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    yep i reckon its watery too.i only drink almond milk now unsweetened of course
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    "I've always been on the bigger side so I've been drinking skim milk since I was a young kid" -- so I have to ask: how has drinking skim milk worked for you as a weight control measure?

My personal preference is for 1% but I don't drink much cow's milk -- though I do eat cheese. Milk's for baby cows. :p
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Try cashew or almond milk. They're grrrrreat
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,104 Member
    Options
    Try cashew or almond milk. They're grrrrreat

Yes, like water with almond or cashew in it. ;-)

I do like them, but nothing beats actual milk. We do 2% but I like full fat. If I cold get farm fresh that I my favorite.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Thatonechickoverthere Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    "I've always been on the bigger side so I've been drinking skim milk since I was a young kid" -- so I have to ask: how has drinking skim milk worked for you as a weight control measure?

My personal preference is for 1% but I don't drink much cow's milk -- though I do eat cheese. Milk's for baby cows. :p

I don't know. I bet if I always drank whole milk I would have gotten fatter as I grew up than I already did, so that's a plus side to only having skim.
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If I have milk, it has to be skim, mainly because I have problems digesting a lot of fats since I don't have a gallbladder. To me it tastes just fine, I've tried some cheaper store brands before that taste like water though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've always felt skim milk was pretty much white water. There is 1% or 2% as options between skim milk and whole milk though.
    I don't drink milk. I get more satisfied when I chew rather than drink my calories. I put whole milk on cereal or use it in cooking.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would go with 1% or 2% if I could drink milk.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think skim milk is just milk that has been watered down. I think I remember somewhere that you could make your own. Just buy 1 or 2% and water it down. More milk for your money.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I personally think Skim Milk is disgusting and prefer 2% or whole milk. The calorie difference is not huge, and I'm a believer that fat doesn't make you fat, so there's that.
  • Rockchick09
    Rockchick09 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think all milk tastes way to much like pure cream - I usually go for the 1.5% lactose free milk or I just skip milk all together.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I think skim milk is just milk that has been watered down. I think I remember somewhere that you could make your own. Just buy 1 or 2% and water it down. More milk for your money.

@kimdawnhayden

No. The clue is in the name - skimmed milk has had the cream skimmed off, it's not watered down.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Personally, I limit my dairy intake to a drop of half & half in my morning coffee (1 mug) (OK, it's a BIG mug!) typically 3 or 4 Tbsp. Other than that, an occasional slice of really GOOD cheese on a burger, if my GF buys something besides cheddar or jack (she uses it more frequently). It's the only paleo cheat I allow myself.

I agree with vingogly - milk is for baby cows.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Personally, I limit my dairy intake to a drop of half & half in my morning coffee (1 mug) (OK, it's a BIG mug!) typically 3 or 4 Tbsp. Other than that, an occasional slice of really GOOD cheese on a burger, if my GF buys something besides cheddar or jack (she uses it more frequently). It's the only paleo cheat I allow myself.

You realize that you are contradicting yourself, right?

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Almond milk is for baby almonds but it's not stopping me