Cutting out wheat - tips/suggestions?

Options
I'm looking to cut wheat out of my families diet any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Read ingredient labels before you purchase things. There is at this time a great many food products which do not contain wheat, even available at Wal-Mart, so I know you can find them all anywhere.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Use cornstarch to thicken sauces instead of flour.

There are gluten free grains. Check out the Bulk Barn for alternatives.

Spelt is an ancient wheat you may want to try if gluten is not a problem.

Reading labels carefully you can find steel cut oats that are wheat free.

Alternatives I've played with include Tigernut flour, rye, buckwheat and teff. These grains will have a different texture that you will have to get used to.

Buckwheat is not wheat.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Don't.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason why?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Unless it is for medical reasons (a DIAGNOSED condition that requires it), it is not needed to cut wheat out of your family's diet.

As far as suggestions, Udis, glutino and Schar products are pretty good substitutes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The glutino wafers are so very good and so low calorie.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of bread dishes, cook baked potatoes/or sweet potatoes. Instead of pasta, cook rice or quinoa.
    Look up recipes for crust-less pizza.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Wheat is very versatile and is a staple in our Western diet. Don't bother unless it's for real medical reasons. Is this a wheat allergy? If it's gluten allergy, be aware that also barley and rye contain gluten. To cut out wheat, stop eating foods containing wheat. Eat other things instead. Wheat is added to lots of convenience foods. You may have to cook more from scratch and eat out less.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Unless you are gluten sensitive or have coeliac disease DO not do it. You actually might cause more harm than good by cutting it out. Also it is a HUGE waste of money to buy gluten free if or when you wish to add variations in.

Seriously? While it may not benefit them to cut wheat out, how on earth could it possibly cause harm?
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Unless you are gluten sensitive or have coeliac disease DO not do it. You actually might cause more harm than good by cutting it out. Also it is a HUGE waste of money to buy gluten free if or when you wish to add variations in.

Seriously? While it may not benefit them to cut wheat out, how on earth could it possibly cause harm?

Because it is so expensive! And your teaching your kids to follow the latest diet trend. There is nothing wrong with wheat, gluten and maltodextrin. As long as you aren't with a condition.

I think you and I have very different definitions of what "harmful" is. Also, just because you are cutting out wheat does not mean you are replacing it with expensive alternatives. There are tons of things that are naturally wheat/gluten free.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Because it is so expensive! And your teaching your kids to follow the latest diet trend. There is nothing wrong with wheat, gluten and maltodextrin. As long as you aren't with a condition.

Cutting out foods, whether its for personal preference or medical necessity, does NOT harm people. It doesn't teach them anything bad either. There are plenty of foods I cut out because I don't like them. My wife has to cut out gluten (not just wheat) due to medical necessity. Based on that, she just replaces one type of food for another.

OP, just make sure you read labels. Generally, you will increase meats, dairy, fish/shellfish, fruits and veggies/starches, and decrease packaged products/breads. Honestly, cutting out wheat won't improve your health unless there is a medical condition. If you are looking to healthier breads, look for ones with high fiber.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The best take out pizza is Dominos gluten free. Spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta.
  • elphie754
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    The best take out pizza is Dominos gluten free. Spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta.

But is usually cross contaminated in the kitchen and not safe for those with and allergy or celiacs.
  • Proter12
    Proter12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Get used to reading food labels when you shop.

All packaged food in the UK and the EU is covered by a law on allergen labelling, meaning you can tell whether or not a product is suitable for a gluten-free diet by reading the ingredients list. If a cereal containing gluten has been used as an ingredient in the product, it must be listed in the ingredients list (no matter how little is used).
    The specific grain will be listed, so look out for mentions of wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, Kamut® or any other grain which has been made through breeding these together as these all contain gluten. Often, these ingredients will be highlighted in bold.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    It's actually not too hard once you get in to the swing of things, but can definitely be overwhelming in the beginning.

A lot of cereals now offer GF (gluten free) versions. Or you can always just stick with those that are made with corn and rice if allergies aren't an issue.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of replacing wheat products with non-wheat products, but I do know that these days grocery stores have a lot more to offer than they use to from GF cookies to GF pasta to GF bread and to almost anything in between. Using some of those things in the beginning might help with the transition, but I honestly wouldn't recommend them for the long term.

I am GF due to an allergy and my family is mostly GF just because I do most of the cooking. Honestly, I don't think they even have any idea. I mostly do rice or some sort of potato as a side dish, I just replaced regular bread crumbs with the GF version. Lunchmeat rollups instead of sandwiches. Etc.

Good luck, feel free to message me anytime.
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Look at some simple and easy recipes at annavocino.com.
  • ljocker
    ljocker Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was eating more keto or low carb when I did and I found I really never had any cravings for bread or pasta.
  • dxt925
    dxt925 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

It is easy to become deficient in some nutrients when cutting out wheat. Many people with coeliac disease are often medically monitored for deficiencies (e.g. iron, calcium, magnesium, Vit. D, zinc, folate, niacin, B12, riboflavin as well as others). So it's important to ensure that these nutrients are consumed in enough quantity from other sources.

Unless there is a diagnosis of intolerances then it's easy to be healthy without eliminating wheat entirely. Many people see gluten as an enemy, when in fact it's protein.

Either way, considerations should be made.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    lamitch11 wrote: »
    I'm looking to cut wheat out of my families diet any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Before and answer can be given, have to ask why?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Putting this out there

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/most-people-shouldnt-eat-gluten-free/

They have a good point.