Zero calorie rice

Options
Trying to find new recipes. I have only just discovered this. Cod, stock cube, spinach, and a few spices. 148cals. Goal size 6 in two weeks. f3o0tknaqdvi.jpeg

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. Rice cannot be zero calories. And then your post content mentions nothing about rice.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Also confused.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. Rice cannot be zero calories. And then your post content mentions nothing about rice.

I'm confused too. If there was advertising I would call the title click bait, but . . .
  • rabia_bassar
    rabia_bassar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ah sorry! When I say zero calorie rice I'm referring to this bad boy! I was wondering if anyone else had a few recipes to share for it. uut3gtvquzra.jpg
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Someone figured out a way to suck the carbohydrates out of rice? That makes me sad. :(
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    I never heard of the stuff so I just googled. No thank you. It has essentially zero nutrition, smells funny, and is chewy and flavorless. I'll stick with my cauliflower rice. There may be a few more calories, but it's a lot better for you.
  • rabia_bassar
    rabia_bassar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe I should join the weight loss journey chats instead and post there...I figured it would be helpful to start here and I'd get a few tasty ideas from people that are likely to know about nutrition and have a few decent recipes I could try out. Never mind.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi!

People are so judgemental without even trying the food! I haven't tried this rice but have tried shirataki noodles which aren't as good as "real" noodles but make for a very filling low calorie dinner when I have few calories left. I usually use them in stir fries with shrimp/chicken and veggies or curries.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hmm maybe I should join the weight loss journey chats instead and post there...I figured it would be helpful to start here and I'd get a few tasty ideas from people that are likely to know about nutrition and have a few decent recipes I could try out. Never mind.

There's lots of people here who know about nutrition and have been very successful with their weight loss/weight maintenance/fitness goals. And I'm going to guess not a whole lot of them would recommend Frankenstein rice :p Regular rice isn't that high in calories (150-200 calories per serving), so not really seeing the point of eating the fake stuff. But, if you like it more power to you!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    First of all, I'm not judgemental, I just prefer to eat real food that has nutritional value instead of fillers and junk.

Second, the OP made zero sense. Perhaps something like "new here, I found this great food that I enjoy. Do you have any recipes or foods that you'd care to share as I'm new and just starting on my journey". Being clear and concise will get you the responses you are looking for, not click bait.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    So this is basically a shirataki noodle but rice-sized. I wish I liked them. :( No, they suck.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    Someone figured out a way to suck the carbohydrates out of rice? That makes me sad. :(

It's a fake rice made out of the same stuff as lychee cups.
    I've had lychee cups, I like them, but I'll stick to normal rice.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Eat real food for real results
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    So this is basically a shirataki noodle but rice-sized. I wish I liked them. :( No, they suck.

jatq074xobco.gif

I can't get past the look of shirataki noodles. Just so much nope.
  • yoyeen1981
    yoyeen1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/25/scientists-have-figured-out-a-simple-way-to-cook-rice-that-dramatically-cuts-the-calories/

Apparently, this method works with a certain kind of rice and it's a bit more labor intensive. I'm Filipino and grew up having rice at every single meal, so this may be something I'll look into in the future. For now, I just try to fit in the calories in rice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Strange, because I have always been able to successfully cut while eating regular white rice, chicken, and vegetables 3 or 4 times per day. Why would I want zero calorie fake rice instead?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you use shredded cardboard instead of Slim Rice, you can cut out another 9 calories!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    It's not the "type" of rice you eat. It's the amount. Problem is, it's not uncommon for many people to eat 2 cups of cooked rice at one sitting. Well at least in the US when I go to parties.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's made from konjac flour. According to the internet (which is of course never wrong):
    konjac flour has a long history of safe use. The first documented use of konjac tuber as a source of food In China and Japan was In the ancient Japanese written work entitled, "Man-you-shuu." which was edited In the sixth century AD. A comprehensive collection of historical materials, which reference konjac in novels, essays and poems, was published by the Japanese Konjac Society in April 1985. The collection of materials document that its use as food is deeply rooted in the lives and customs of the people in Japan and China for centuries, Historical[y, konnyaku, the alkali•treated konjac flour, was used to cleanse one's digestive tract of irritating and poisonous substances and keep one's internal organs clean. The konjac tuber was introduced into Hawaii in 1858 and konnyaku was commonly eaten as food once or twice a week by Japanese in Hawaii.

So low calorie rice AND cleanse?

Anyway, I don't eat enough rice to worry about finding a lower calorie version, but if you like it, OP, go for it. The cod and spinach mix ins sound good. You might want to try the recipe section.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP - so I think everyone has already covered the comments about the rice - I don't eat a lot of rice but when I do, I don't find it hard to fit in 200 cals for a serving into my day. The meal you posted looked tasty, I would just make it with regular rice.

I'm more intrigued by your comment about your goal is to be a size 6 in two weeks. How much weight are you trying to lose? What size are you now? Aggressive time bound goals are often a recipe (pun intended) for failure. What happens in 2 weeks that you need to be a size 6 for? How would anyone even know you are a size 6, compared to a size 8 or 10 or whatever you are now? Generally for me, about every 10 pounds is a pants size, so even if you are one size bigger (8) that's a goal to lose 10 lbs in two weeks? That seems pretty aggressive...