Do you weigh your pet's food?

Options
Clawsal
Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
I do.

My cat is a bit chubby and the veterinarian really insisted I weigh her food, because other forms of measuring aren't accurate and a little bit of extra quibble every day adds up very fast. Just like for us!

What about you, do you weigh your pet's food? :)

Replies

• MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Nah, I just feed them the recommended cups.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Our yorkiepoo is in training for the 5-6.5 pound category at the Arnold Classic so he trains with us and we strictly control is macros. He's already hit 8 pounds at the top of his bulk. He's gonna be hyoooge!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh their food. My cats split half a can of wet in the morning, have unlimited crunchers, and finish the can before bed. They seem fine.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    No I feed her with a great diet and she's chill and exercises , she's fine
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I just gave my cat the recommended cans for a kit Kat of his weight.

If I watch my sister's dog, I'll stick her bowl on the scale and weigh out the food she leaves. I'd probably use a cup if she left me one
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My dogs are free fed and still on the lean side, but they are also extremely active border collies.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yes. One of my cats is smart and chubby (needs to lose a couple pounds). I used to work out of town a lot and they (I have 2 cats) had an auto feeder. I couldn't understand why he gained weight until I saw him stick his arm up the auto feeder to get more food out (like someone trying to steal from a vending machine). If I try to feed them together, he will eat my other cat's food. He also eats really fast and will proceed to throw up.

So I bought them slow/puzzle feeders, weigh his food, and feed them separately (a door between them). Then the other night I saw him open the cabinet where their food is, so now I'm locking up their food as well. He's a little *kitten*.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I should for my dog. He's chubby. But I'm not the one feeding him, so... (plus the measurements come in cups, of course).

My cat is a good weight though, and she just eats cans anyway.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    ahhh pet food nothing like feeding pets their fellow dogs & cats
    go cannibalism
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    ahhh pet food nothing like feeding pets their fellow dogs & cats
    go cannibalism
    Admittedly, part of the reason I haven't gotten another pet is that I intend to go raw, something that wouldn't go well with everyone in the house. If I didn't prepare my let's own dishes, I would only trust a brand I thorughly looked in to.

There are a lot of reasons not to go with crappy brands, but the idea that pet food companies would go through the trouble of grinding up dead kittens and puppies is fairly tin foil.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It's not okay to body shame your pet
  • Suzeq66
    Suzeq66 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, keeps you from over feeding one gets only 1/4 cup morning and night per her vet. She would eat as much as you will feed her.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I actualy want my dog to eat more lol he looks kinda chunky but when we cut his hair he's as skiny as a chiwawa idk how to make him eat he'd rather wait 3 days and wait for somthing to fall off our plates
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I give my cat 1 cup of ultra premium cat food and that lasts her 2-3 days.