High protein low carb diet

Options
Has anyone tried this like Adkins? My sister has and she is very thin and lost very fast. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and how did they do it?

Replies

• eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    yes many people do it, although it is called a ketogenic diet. It works because you eat less than you burn, just like any diet. It is not special.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Actually keto is high fat, low carb.
  • odessablondie
    odessablondie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    yes many people do it, although it is called a ketogenic diet. It works because you eat less than you burn, just like any diet. It is not special.

Actually ketogenic diets put you in ketosis so you burn stored fat for fuel instead of the carbs you eat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »

Actually ketogenic diets put you in ketosis so you burn stored fat for fuel instead of the carbs you eat.

Yes, but it still works the same way as any other diet method. By eating less than you burn.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    mskurski wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this like Adkins? My sister has and she is very thin and lost very fast. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and how did they do it?

I do high protein, moderate carbs and low sugar. My goal is to get 110 grams of protein, stay under 40 grams of sugar and around 105 grams of carbs. Since changing to this diet, I've had significant progress with muscle growth and fat loss.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't believe in following regimented "diets" to lose weight. I've lost 125 lbs.

I believe in changing life habits, restricting daily calories, eating the kinds of foods that make me feel full and sated w/o going over my calorie goal (which usually means more fiber, fat and protein, and less carbs and sugar, but I just do this naturally by know what foods have which macronutrients.) I believe in eating chocolate every day, too!

Eating certain KINDS of foods can be a great help to making weightloss easier, and building new habits that will help you keep off that weight. But in the long term, it's about how MUCH food you eat daily that is at the core of it. Track your calories, eat what MFP calculates for your stated goal. If you're very large and just starting out, you can do 1-2 lbs per week. I'm smaller (already in normal BMI range) so I do 0.5 lbs per week, while trying to gain more muscle for toning.

I hope that helps!