Cardio vs. Strength (newbie)

Options
TheresaLisaJulieJean
TheresaLisaJulieJean Posts: 44 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,

So I am real new to weight loss and fitness. I just logged my 60th day on MFP and I'm down 19 lbs. I have been counting calories and doing cardio only. My goal is so close I can taste it...only 6 lbs left to go.

I keep telling myself after I hit my target weight I'll ease up on the cardio and start strength training and I'm dreading it.

Is this a good strategy or should I start now? Also, once I do start strength training what is a good cardio/strength ratio for an hour long workout and why?

Sorry if you have seen this question a million times over and TYIA

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    IMO, waiting until you hit your goal before starting strength training is a bad strategy. That is because proper strength training (resistance training) will help you maintain muscle mass as you lose weight. Waiting until you hit goal weight to start resistance training almost certainly ensures that you lose some muscle mass that you will then have to spend time and effort rebuilding.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I am totally in the lifting weights side. I only do cardio as a warm up and to complete my daily activity (walking 10 k steps at day)
    I suggest you read MFP Most Helpful post at the beginning of this board.
    here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Rom3oJuli3tt
    Rom3oJuli3tt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can do both actually. I'm in the midst of cutting for competition season, but I do both on an almost daily basis. I wouldn't go by a dedicated time. If you begin placing a time-limit on your workouts, you can do more harm than good. "I only have an hour so I need to hurry" isn't a good frame of mind to be in. Myself, I prefer to do fasted cardio early in the morning so I can focus on my lifts in the evenings. That or I do cardio right after I lift depending on my schedule for the day.

There are numerous ways to accomplish your goals. You could do a HIIT session after lifting if you're crunched for time. 15 - 30 minutes is quite effective and often moreso than an equivalent amount of time walking on a treadmill. I highly recommend a simplified lifting regimen until you're more comfortable with weight training overall. That'll help reduce the time you spend in the gym if you're constantly crunched for minutes. Hope this helps.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy more
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    IMO, waiting until you hit your goal before starting strength training is a bad strategy. That is because proper strength training (resistance training) will help you maintain muscle mass as you lose weight. Waiting until you hit goal weight to start resistance training almost certainly ensures that you lose some muscle mass that you will then have to spend time and effort rebuilding.

I was just reading about this yesterday which is what prompted me to ask this question. Thank you.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I agree with this
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    You can do both actually. I'm in the midst of cutting for competition season, but I do both on an almost daily basis. I wouldn't go by a dedicated time. If you begin placing a time-limit on your workouts, you can do more harm than good. "I only have an hour so I need to hurry" isn't a good frame of mind to be in. Myself, I prefer to do fasted cardio early in the morning so I can focus on my lifts in the evenings. That or I do cardio right after I lift depending on my schedule for the day.

There are numerous ways to accomplish your goals. You could do a HIIT session after lifting if you're crunched for time. 15 - 30 minutes is quite effective and often moreso than an equivalent amount of time walking on a treadmill. I highly recommend a simplified lifting regimen until you're more comfortable with weight training overall. That'll help reduce the time you spend in the gym if you're constantly crunched for minutes. Hope this helps.

I only have about an hour because I go while my oldest is in school. My youngest goes to the daycare at the gym and can really only last in there for so long before she crashes (only 1 y/o)

So by a HIIT session you mean....what exactly? Lol My purely assumed knowledge of this is something like crunches and weights broken up by short bursts of cardio
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Most people who lose weight in the absence of resistance work are somewhat "unimpressed" with the end results...they were expecting be lean and "toned" and whatnot...but that doesn't really happen without resistance training. To have that look requires muscle...and without resistance training, a greater ratio of muscle is lost during the weight loss process than otherwise would happen if you are doing resistance training. But really, it comes down to what you envision as the "end product"...just keep in mind that maintaining muscle is a lot easier than having to build it back up again.

Also, from a general fitness, health, and wellness standpoint, both are essential. Just google some of the benefits of lifting, particularly for women...you will come across lots of great stuff like prevention of osteoporosis, etc...it's not just about the muscles.

Cardio work is for the benefit of your cardiovascular health and aerobic fitness...resistance training is for muscular skeletal health and fitness. Both are really important overall.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options

I only have about an hour because I go while my oldest is in school. My youngest goes to the daycare at the gym and can really only last in there for so long before she crashes (only 1 y/o)

So by a HIIT session you mean....what exactly? Lol My purely assumed knowledge of this is something like crunches and weights broken up by short bursts of cardio

And the proper time to do it would be AFTER lifting for best results?
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    Hi:
    I am totally in the lifting weights side. I only do cardio as a warm up and to complete my daily activity (walking 10 k steps at day)
    I suggest you read MFP Most Helpful post at the beginning of this board.
    here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1
    Good luck in your healthy journey

Thank you! It's nice to have something to follow when u are just starting out.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hello,

So I am real new to weight loss and fitness. I just logged my 60th day on MFP and I'm down 19 lbs. I have been counting calories and doing cardio only. My goal is so close I can taste it...only 6 lbs left to go.

I keep telling myself after I hit my target weight I'll ease up on the cardio and start strength training and I'm dreading it.

Is this a good strategy or should I start now? Also, once I do start strength training what is a good cardio/strength ratio for an hour long workout and why?

Honestly, I think if you follow through with your plan, you're going to regret it and wish you started weight training earlier. Weight training is what transforms the body. Yes, cardio will help with burning calories and adding to a deficit, but building muscle will make you appear toned and shapely. There is nothing to dread about strength training. Once you get started and begin seeing progress you will feel empowered. You will find beauty in your strength. I typically do 15-minutes on the treadmill and an hour or so of strength training.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    Hello,

Honestly, I think if you follow through with your plan, you're going to regret it and wish you started weight training earlier. Weight training is what transforms the body. Yes, cardio will help with burning calories and adding to a deficit, but building muscle will make you appear toned and shapely. There is nothing to dread about strength training. Once you get started and begin seeing progress you will feel empowered. You will find beauty in your strength. I typically do 15-minutes on the treadmill and an hour or so of strength training.

I only dread it because I know it is hard work...harder than my cardio routine...but I'm down I just have to mentally prepare. Also, I know I will have to just buck up and do it to get the result I want. So I guess I'm going to resolve to start on Monday

So now the question is...does timing matter? Should is be doing cardio before or after? Or is it beneficial to break it up with short bursts in between?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I only dread it because I know it is hard work...harder than my cardio routine...but I'm down I just have to mentally prepare. Also, I know I will have to just buck up and do it to get the result I want. So I guess I'm going to resolve to start on Monday

So now the question is...does timing matter? Should is be doing cardio before or after? Or is it beneficial to break it up with short bursts in between?

First of all, I'd recommend following a structured program...I'm partial to full body programs which are usually 3x per week. It takes a ton of knowledge to program your own lifting routine and you're not going to get nearly the efficiency with your results doing your own thing.

I do a full body program 3x per week...on lifting days, the emphasis for the day is lifting...because it's a lifting day. I do cardio on lifting days, but it's usually in the AM...generally a recovery ride on my bike that is pretty low intensity and then I lift in the PM...I want to be relatively fresh getting under a barbell. If I was going to do it in the same session I would do some kind of low intensity cardio after the lift...because lifting day...that is the primary focus.

I do more aggressive cardio on my non-lifting days as that is my focus on those days. And of course rest.

Note that your should not be lifting using the same muscles/groups of muscles on consecutive days, they need rest...and this is also where doing a structured program will come into play...and I personally am not a big fan of split routines for noobs, but that's just me.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    Thank you very much...This info is exactly what I needed.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all of the other comments on this thread. Strength training can transform your body and once you start to see results it can be addicting :) I would say start as soon as you can! I personally love strength training and do not enjoy running, so I do 3-4 weight-training exercise days per week, with some HIIT/strength training combos in there to get my heart rate pumping. For general health, I try to hit 10,000 steps a day and take my dog on several 30 minute walks a week. This is just my preference.