Cut Booze to Lose Challenge

Options
I committed 42 days ago to cut booze from my diet until I am at or very near my fitness goals. It was hard at first because I'm use to the reward of having a delicious craft beer (Kellerweise is delish) after a long day. However, I decided my long term fitness goals are more important than a fleeting feel good moment.

In 42 days, I've dropped 12 pounds of fat and put on 2 pounds of muscle in a ridiculously short amount of time! I feel incredible.

Would love to add more friends who want to commit or have already committed to this challenge!

Just wanted to put this out there in case there are other MFP warriors already on this challenge, or want to team up, share stories, tips, etc.!

Best,
Rooski

Replies

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking on Jan 1, 2016 and so far haven't touched it. I also strictly drank scotch so do I win this challenge? lol

I used to drink twice in the week heavily. Friday and Sunday night. So far no plans to start since I haven't reached my goals.

How long before you reach your goals?
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I didn't completely cut out the booze but I did slow down a lot. I was used to having a glass of wine or two every night and now I might have a glass once a week. It's crazy how many calories booze has. Also I sleep a lot better now.
  • Bullitt4686
    Bullitt4686 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with Tarah above. I've cut down to one drink/week. Be it beer or an actual drink. My inner Scottish is freaking out!
  • Zijagal2016
    Zijagal2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am finding also that its very hard to stay on track with your eating when you consume too much alcohol. The odd glass of wine is ok and now it's summer I do spritzer so 5 oz will do like 3 drinks very refreshing. And only 4 points on weight watchers.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of no alcohol for the next 12 weeks for me. I started Body Beast and am hoping to reach goal by the end of the 12 weeks and cutting the alcohol will definitely help. Especially since drinking is basically the whole reason I gained weight in the first place. :/
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I should be here but just can't commit to it yet. I use my running to make room for calories from drinking and if I slow or stop running I gain. I am sort of stuck at 3 or 4 oz. of scotch, 1/2 bottle of wine and a craft beer during the week. Weekends see more beer. I have grown to enjoy wine with food but must admit I could save a fortune if I quit.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I cut out the booze but I just had a Snickers for lunch. Priorities amirite?
  • mcgowanc2
    mcgowanc2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had a glass (about 9 oz actually) of wine every evening for years, but recently began making lemon drop martinis (yum). I quit last week because I have become overweight, something so foreign to me as I was always the skinny one, but Birthdays & booze make a lot of differences in our bodies, dang it!! So I am on day 5 alcohol free. Gotta admit I miss it, but I have dropped 3 pounds already (of course when I drank I had to eat something salty, like nuts, etc. & those calories really add up quickly! & I am not doing that anymore either, sob).
    Good luck to all of us!! I am really determined!!
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am cutting out alcohol for the next month and will re-evaluate after that point. I am training for a half-marathon in the Fall and want to focus on my training plan. I am already at my maintenance weight but wouldn't mind dropping a few more pounds (like 5ish) to give me some additional wiggle room.

I am very much accustomed to having a few glasses of wine several nights a week, so this will be a change for me, but one that I'm looking forward to. The wine calories really add up, and I would rather eat food to fuel my workouts than drink them!

Good luck with your goals everyone!
    Karen
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Really cutting back on drinking wine during the week (don't normally drink anything else) - but it is not easy. Been at it a couple of weeks and would like to continue until I am at my (first) goal weight... 7 lbs to go.
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You can add me.

I cut out the booze too, I love my Bourbon but it just inst worth the empty calories. I've lost track of how many days ago I stopped drinking, but it was a few weeks before I re-joined MFP.

edit: spelling
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That has been hardest for me. I enjoy drinks.. I can go all week no problem. Once the weekend hits Its all over. It doesn't help that my wife is fairly thin and has drinks so then im tempted. I am trying to stop drinking slowly. Went from beer, to wine, to wine/0 cal tonic with vodka or diet coke and whiskey. It's slowly working, i've been losing weight but eventually it will stop and I will need to re-evaluate again.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Cutting it out definitely helps me lose weight, but I can't commit to it for more than two weeks or a month or so at a time. I enjoy a drink, and I find I do better when I focus on cutting back rather than cutting it out. It is one of those things that we certainly don't physically need.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I tend to be all about cutting back in the morning but (looks at clock) its almost five o'clock and I just don't have the same enthusiasm. Come to thick about I do remember cutting back on scotch when I first came to MFP. I developed a easy way to reduce scotch intake....I measured it.
  • jacsfit4life
    jacsfit4life Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I normally don't drink during the week unless something comes up, but I need to cut back on weekends. I know this would help me drop lbs quick! My drink of choice is vodka/soda with a lime!