Protein powder for women - which ones are good?

Options
Howdie.

Have been on my fitness journey for some time but have seriously gotten into weight lifting in the last few weeks thanks to excellent PT and a gym that focusses more on this than boring ole cardio. I am buzzing from the energy and motivation this is all giving me but I am confused about protein shakes. Lots of people at my gym have post workout protein shakes of varying flavours colours, etc. For someone wanting to build muscle, shift some fat but has all the wobbly bits of a middle aged female (lol) what would you recommend as a good protein powder to get started with? There seems to be a LOT of choice and I am confused. Thanks in advance

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The same ones that are good for men.

I prefer my protein powder to have as few extra calories as possible, mixes well, and tastes good enough. Right now I'm using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard as reviews of the brand give it good results for ingredient safety and I can get it for a decent price and like the flavor.

However, protein powder isn't needed for building muscle and losing fat, as a proper diet and exercise routine is. You don't even need a post workout shake, as meal timing plays a very minor role in getting fit (in other words, it can be as a snack before bed, or first thing in the morning, or whenever it'll provide pretty much the same benefits). Meal timing may provide slight benefits for top tier athletes and body builders, but isn't something you have to worry about if you aren't even close to that level yet. Use protein powders for what they are, a convenient source of protein. I prefer to get my protein from meat (chicken tends to be a cheaper source than powders), but if I'm low on protein for the day and just want a quick and tasty source, then I make a shake and drink it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You don't need a protein powder specifically made for women.

I use protein powder to fill in the gaps when I'm short on protein and when I feel like having a treat (shake.) Protein powder is not a weight loss tool. I'd suggest trying a few and seeing which you like. In general, I've had good luck with Optimum Nutrition, as it tastes pretty good. (Same stuff @nordlead2005 said he uses.)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is one way to fill your protein macro. I use unflavored Whey Isolate and add the flavors and sweetening I want. By itself it is rather plain, but blend it with some milk, ice, cocoa, powdered peanut butter with the sweetener of your choice and you have a very tasty protein shake. Swap Almond milk for the milk and the calories come down. Pre-flavored powders are nice to minimize calories as you can simply mix them with water and they have the flavor and sweetening in them already. However, as stated protein powder is the same no matter what sex you are.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder to make smoothies (along with fruit, yogurt, and milk). It's convenient and adds some protein and it's something I can drink in the car on the way to work if I don't have time for breakfast. And my kids like it. I have one every few days.

I have a bad taste aversion to splenda/sucralose though, which a lot of the popular brands seem to have. So I found one at Whole Foods that is sweetened with Stevia (365 brand). I also tried one from Costco that was made of peas and it was so disgusting I returned it. So I'm sticking with my WF brand for now.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I prefer my protein powder to have as few extra calories as possible, mixes well, and tastes good enough. Right now I'm using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard as reviews of the brand give it good results for ingredient safety and I can get it for a decent price and like the flavor.

However, protein powder isn't needed for building muscle and losing fat, as a proper diet and exercise routine is. You don't even need a post workout shake, as meal timing plays a very minor role in getting fit (in other words, it can be as a snack before bed, or first thing in the morning, or whenever it'll provide pretty much the same benefits). Meal timing may provide slight benefits for top tier athletes and body builders, but isn't something you have to worry about if you aren't even close to that level yet. Use protein powders for what they are, a convenient source of protein. I prefer to get my protein from meat (chicken tends to be a cheaper source than powders), but if I'm low on protein for the day and just want a quick and tasty source, then I make a shake and drink it.

^ This is a great answer. I personally like Trutein but I don't use powders regularly. I've started using them again recently because I'm moving some of my lifting to mornings and I don't want to work out completely fasted, and yet I rarely have much of an appetite before 10-11:00 a.m.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Wheybelline.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    iso pure low carb vanilla is my personal new fave
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I personally like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    ON is good. There are many different types (sources) many brands many flavours. Look at how much protein you're getting for the calories and what else has been added. Some have lots of added sweeteners for example. One thing I'd say is don't go out and buy a huge tub unless you know you like the flavour and it mixes well.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use Pink Sun protein powder which is made from grass-fed cows whey isolate. I have tried many brands and this is the only one that doesn't upset my bowels in any way. I can tolerate PHD diet whey as long as it is for example just half a bar every other day or a serving of the powder. But since discovering Pink Sun I no longer use the PHD brand. Like others have said, if my protein intake is low for the day I will take a serving. Usually as part of a smoothie or using my own flavourings as it is an unflavoured brand.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I despise the taste of most protein powder because of the whey... Most people don't mind it at all but I definitely do. I don't drink protein shakes because of lifting, so I can't comment on that, but my personal preference is the vanilla flavor made by Arbonne. It's pea protein, and I believe it's vegan friendly, and actually tastes pretty good alone but I try to blend in some berries for a treat. It looks pricy, but you get a large package so I think it is worth it. My fussy husband likes them too.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    The same that are good for men. If we required different proteins then how can we both live off of chicken and steak? To gain muscle and become harder, maintain a surplus and lift progressively. To cut away your extra fat, maintain a deficit and lift progressively to reduce lean mass losses.
  • kydseoul26
    kydseoul26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

^ This. You want to hit your macros with whole food and use protein powder in the case that you need that extra bit of protein to hit your macro. But to answer your post, I personally prefer Optimum Nutrition Isolate (during the day) and cottage cheese (casein) at night.
  • leannraya
    leannraya Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am in LOVE with my Fitmiss Vanilla Chai, it's amazing alone or with banana!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my vote is for Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, i love the vanilla flavors
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Iso Dymatize ... fudge brownie, birthday cake, cinnamon bun ... their flavors are amazing! Low carb and it's a fast absorbing protein powder good for after lifting!