Do you workout better with a partner?

Options

Replies

• Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes, but with certain activities. Outside workouts like cycling, running, and open water swims are better with others. I seem to push myself more and get more out of it. Inside workouts like lifting, gym cardio, pool swims are mostly alone with my ear buds.
  • weightlossissues
    weightlossissues Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love to walk alone when I need to walk faster and longer. But I do like my best half to walk with me. I don't ask him to do it much because he does not need the work out he weights 20 pounds less than me neutral:
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I don't play well with others. I do like to have my canine companion on my walks, though. She and I understand each other.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Solo all the way when it comes to the gym, too distracting otherwise and too time consuming when you're having to constantly switch out weights on a bar.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Alone. I'm busy pretending i'm she-hulk, don't appreciate distractions.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Solo all the way when it comes to the gym, too distracting otherwise and too time consuming when you're having to constantly switch out weights on a bar.

Eh. Switching weights takes almost no time at all. I've been working in a group with working weights from 75-165kg and it takes seconds to switch around.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options

Eh. Switching weights takes almost no time at all. I've been working in a group with working weights from 75-165kg and it takes seconds to switch around.

If I'm benching 280 lbs, that's a lot of weight to take off for a partner that's benching 125lbs and back again. Depends on who you're working out with.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options

If I'm benching 280 lbs, that's a lot of weight to take off for a partner that's benching 125lbs and back again. Depends on who you're working out with.

I also take limited breaks in between sets, no longer than a minute and allowed longer break after final set between next exercise, no longer than 3 minutes. Working solo, you don't feel rushed or expending unncessary energy on set up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I like lifting alone...having a partner just takes more time. My trainer owns the gym that I go to and he practically lives there so if I need a spot or an extra kick in the *kitten* or something, he's more than happy to oblige.

I like cycling both alone, and in groups. Group rides are fun in that they can push you...because if you don't keep up, you're getting dropped...in cycling there is no "wait up"...you just get dropped and then you make your way on your own.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

My wife and I lift together in our garage gym. She can spot me with the little tiny help needed on most minor fails, and I keep the safety pins in the power cage set so if I fail hard on a heavy rep it's not a problem. We generally don't use the same stations at the same time so we don't have the change the weights between sets.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

280 to 125 and back again is nothing. I should have taken a picture of the bar from Saturday because it was a very entertaining way to get to 165kg.

I've also max tested with a guy who was 4 sets of plates ahead of me. We just laughed that we were getting more work changing plates than benching.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options

280 to 125 and back again is nothing. I should have taken a picture of the bar from Saturday because it was a very entertaining way to get to 165kg.

I've also max tested with a guy who was 4 sets of plates ahead of me. We just laughed that we were getting more work changing plates than benching.

Glad you had fun racking and unracking weights, not my thing. Waste of time for me and my gym time isn't social time for me either. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm anti-social when I'm in the gym but I go there to focus on me and my lifts. I can interact with others when I'm not in the weight room.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

Glad you had fun racking and unracking weights, not my thing. Waste of time for me and my gym time isn't social time for me either. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm anti-social when I'm in the gym but I go there to focus on me and my lifts. I can interact with others when I'm not in the weight room.

Meh. I spend most of the week essentially alone in the gym. At the very least I tend not to have too many of my teammates around. So when on Saturdays I get to hang with my bench crew and get hands on work to improve my bench, yes I'm happy about it. Talking shop about bench is my social life and I like it that way.
  • leannraya
    leannraya Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like both, alone and with my husband. My husband and I just purchased our first bikes and we rode around town tonight and it was so nice to spend time with just him and no phones or distractions (except the car I almost hit, and the dog I almost ran over...) :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

That's 2 45's on each side and some side plates. It doesn't take that long.

I get not wanting to lift with other people- but there honestly is no need to be a d**k about how much you can lift more than someone ONLY lifting a "paltry" 125.

• JoRocka
    Options
    Also- 280 isn't that much for a dude- I'd stop trying to brag on it.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    No . . . just no. I'm normally a social person but when I'm working out I don't want to chit-chat or be companionable, I want to work out. In addition, I'm told I have resting b***h face when I work out and I think I do that unconsciously so others won't be tempted to talk to me while I'm trying to get in zone.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

But he's doing it on only one minute rest. Just think about how much more he could lift if he would let his body recover properly between sets.
  • Mudakon
    Mudakon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually workout alone, but when i workout with my friend usually we go pretty hard and give our everything and for me when im training solo i just can't do that the best example is Chest Day, on solo days i just go High Rep for like 190lbs at the bench when we train together i can go up to 250-270lbs without being scared that im gonna crush my neck.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

But he's doing it on only one minute rest. Just think about how much more he could lift if he would let his body recover properly between sets.

But- he's got to hurry up and get out of the gym so he can stop being anti- social and get on with his life where he can regularly be social.

Sacrificing gainz for social life. Makes so much sense.