Weight Traning for Dummies (Dummies: meaning me!)

Options
cookie62877
cookie62877 Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
To anyone that can give me some pointers!

I wanted to incorporate weight training into my cardio routine, but I have no clue where to start. I make it a point to make sure I watch the others at the gym lift weights while I am either on the treadmill or elliptical, so ultimately I get the gist. Choose weight amount and lift! lol

But where do I start? Should I have some sort of schedule? Is there a certain piece of equipment that is more beneficial than the other? How much cardio should I get in before weight training? Do I lift before doing cardio? Should I start out with a weight that is far less than what I feel I can lift or do I start out at the weight that I can feel some burn in my muscles?

Just an insight on who I am and my weight loss goals. I am an athletic overweight person. I know that sounds like an oxymoron. Let me explain, I was in sports my entire life. My Dad definitely wanted another son but was blessed with a daughter instead, so he made sure I was a tomboy. Soccer, football, boxing, and other outdoor sports consumed my childhood. I cant thank my Dad enough for that because being that I have always struggled with my weight, even during playing all these sports as a child, my body has actually stood up pretty good to the abuse and weight gain over the years after I stopped being so active in my adult life. So I am strong and tough, I never really lost that athletic drive that was instilled in me and my workouts are pretty intense for a woman my size because of that, but I carry around a nice amount of excess weight in my midsection (tummy) area. I am currently in the 260 range, I am 5'5, and 28 years old. Looking to lose 100 pounds by next year. I have never done weight training but am excited to add it to my routine.

I just want to make sure I maintain the muscle mass I do have while on my journey to my goal weight, and weights seem like the route to go.

Sorry for the long intro! Any suggestions would be awesome!!! :)

Replies

• myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have always heard to do cardio and weights just alternate days. I have also heard weights 3 time a week to build muscle. I use resistance bands. good luck!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to barbells? Stronglifts or Starting Strength would probably be the two beginner routines I'd recommend first (or Ice Cream Fitness if you have extra time on your hands). After you've spent six months to a year on those, you'll know enough about your likes and dislikes to figure out where to go from there.
  • cookie62877
    Options
    Yes! The gym has that whole set up! Ill have to look up strong lifts and see what I can find out online about some routines. Thank you so much!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Besides videos, I strongly recommend the book "Starting Strength" (even if you don't do the program). I learned a ton from that book when I first started out.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting - all great beginner programs. I would also recommend doing cardio and weights on different days.
  • cookie62877
    Options
    Perfect! Thank you all so much for the info!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    engodwin wrote: »
    Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting - all great beginner programs. I would also recommend doing cardio and weights on different days.

I really learned a lot from the New Rules of Lifting for Women book (though the routine I found long term to be too complicated, and am going to restart with Stronglifts). Got it from my local library if you are hesitant to drop the money.

Also, I'd say don't have to NOT do cardio on your lifting days...but if you want to focus on lifting, make sure you do your lifting first to get the most from it.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is a good starting point for beginners. 3 days a week with an off day in between. I do cardio 6 days a week as I have weight to lose yet. I'm in my 5th cycle right now and don't plan to stop. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I agree with all above. Don't forget bodyweight workouts. Pushups, pullups, squats, split squats, pike pushups, tricep dips, are all great ways to lift weight (i.e. yourself) and can be done anywhere. Good luck!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Watch some videos on form. You do not want to injure yourself. I especially find Alan Thrall videos to be very informative. I do cardio first because it gets my blood going. I do some accessory work on machines to hit my problem areas and then move to barbell lifts after that. I've tried many combos and this is what works for me. I love deadlifts and overhead presses most. Total body lifts are great. I'm still learning proper squat form as I have tight ankles. I go 3 days a week but am looking to incorporate more days since my gym just moved closer to where I live. I've been going seriously for 2 months and have seen newbie gains that make me happy! I used to be fit when I was younger as well so my body is responding well. You're muscle memory will work for you because of your past conditioning. You can do it!
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I started stronglifts 5x5 about a month ago. I LOVE IT! I always check the videos on the app for form, ps, the app is awesome!! I totally recommend watching the whole routine. It's broken down into A and B days, then alternate. 90 sec rest between sets (I'm only telling you cus I didn't know why my phone kept buzzing at the 90 sec mark, duh, next set!). Also, start at the beginning, whatever weight the app tells you, it may seem a lil slow but it's worth getting form right first, before adding weight. Have fun and good luck!!
  • cookie62877
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!!!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out with it also. I've been googling info on it, and I keep seeing advice that says to focus on just a few key moves, like deadlift, squat, bench press, rows, curls, and add in a couple more extras if you want. I also started using a tracking app to log workouts (I'm using Jefit, although there are tons). It is easy to create your own or follow a set workout, record your reps, and even has the rest timer in between for you.