Xenical/Orlistat/Alli - Would you or wouldn't you?

Options

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I still diet and exercise so a boost won't hurt..

well.... it might.....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Nope. These pills prevent your body from absorbing some of the fat you eat, but fat isn't bad, and I'm of the opinion that it's the *type* of fat (mostly fried, trans/processed fats) along with the processed carbohydrates that people eat that are the biggest problem, along with overall quantity of calories.

Why would you take something that's *completely* unnecessary? Try this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet

Here's a well-written blog about what these type of pills do and don't do, and how they work and why they may not be the best choice. http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/my-take-on-diet-pills/
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options

well.... it might.....

It's not so much a boost as it is a squirt. It doesn't hurt, but it does stain.
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't take any pills. While it would be great to lose the weight faster, I have a horrible fear of side effects. The side effects of eating right and exercising are only positive (and no oily discharge) :blushing:
  • Qattusa
    Qattusa Posts: 139 Member
    Options

well.... it might.....

Oh that is hilarious!!!
  • BexC
    BexC Posts: 53
    Options
    my experience (summed up as at work ;) )

I was 205lbs and struggling to lose weight due to my PCOS
    I took Orlistat for 6 months and lost 28lbs and kept EVERY lb off
    I never got mega side effects on it apart from when i ate high fat foods normally was just.....softer than normal when going to the loo (sorry TMI)
    I have started them again now on advice from my Gynae dr due to my PCOS and IR I would recommend them to anyone because its not blocking ALL the fat you eat its 25% of it, and anyone i know who has taken them and properly has lost weight on them - i do understand though everyone is different so maybe i am a lucky one x
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I never got mega side effects on it apart from when i ate high fat foods normally was just.....softer than normal when going to the loo (sorry TMI)
    I have started them again now on advice from my Gynae dr due to my PCOS and IR I would recommend them to anyone because its not blocking ALL the fat you eat its 25% of it, and anyone i know who has taken them and properly has lost weight on them - i do understand though everyone is different so maybe i am a lucky one x

Thank you :) I've done my homework. Everyone is different, so I'm game in trying... If it works great, if the side effects are too much, I'll deal or quit. Only one way to find out :)
  • allibabaadw
    allibabaadw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't take Alli! My mother's friend tried and and the result was that she had to wear a diaper because the fat that turned to poop would basically just flow out of her uncontrollably! -- Sorry I know this is really disgusting, I'm just warning you of the possibilities.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    2 words keep me from taking it: ANAL LEAKAGE!!!!!
  • BexC
    Options
    The leakage is when you eat HIGH fat foods - I have been on them 3 days now with not one leak! ( and months before)
    They are an aid not a miracle cure! xx
  • BexC
    Options
    Thank you :) I've done my homework. Everyone is different, so I'm game in trying... If it works great, if the side effects are too much, I'll deal or quit. Only one way to find out :)

Good luck, add me as a friend if you want xx
  • Qattusa
    Options

Wow, congratulations on your weight loss! That is pretty impressive! It is also so good to hear that someone with PCOS can combat the situation. I have endometriosis and PCOS and put on lots of weight when I had the Mirena fitted to ease the symptoms. You have made me feel so much more hopeful, thank you. x
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    Nope. These pills prevent your body from absorbing some of the fat you eat, but fat isn't bad, and I'm of the opinion that it's the *type* of fat (mostly fried, trans/processed fats) along with the processed carbohydrates that people eat that are the biggest problem, along with overall quantity of calories.

Why would you take something that's *completely* unnecessary? Try this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/233474-the-latest-diet

Here's a well-written blog about what these type of pills do and don't do, and how they work and why they may not be the best choice. http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/my-take-on-diet-pills/

I was going to say that, fat isn't bad. Everything in moderation is fine in my opinion.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    my DH uses Alli and he lost 25 lbs so far. No leakage, but maybe he has a strong... TMI.
  • srenebailey
    srenebailey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm getting ready to start next week. I read all the side affects, did some research, and am following those instructions to the "T". Even those who oppose the drug state that you do well on the Alli plan if you follow the instructions carefully. I'll keep you updated.
  • deewildwoman
    deewildwoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just be very careful when you start Alli to see if you will have the side effects. I tried it, and had the "Oily Leakage" even if I didn't go over the recommended fat grams. So while some only have problems if you eat a high fat diet, other people have the side effects regardless.
  • Qattusa
    Options
    Well... I think it's generally a good aid to a diet if you can manage the side effects. Turns out I have lost too much weight to be able to get it anyway, go figure!
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle of Alli, and I take one when I've had a meal with too much fat...I don't really mind the side effects (which there are..but not "uncontrollable")...&& That way, when I do make a mistake and eat too much fat, at least I can get rid of 25% of it.
  • newtswifey07
    Options

well.... it might.....

That is hillarious...and true! Tried it once and NEVER AGAIN!