Lame exercise question .... going to a water-park / amusemen

Options
Hodar
Hodar Posts: 338 Member
Ok, this is perhaps the lamest form of exercise I can think of; but it's the family activity for Sunday and Monday.

We have a waterpark / amusement park we are all going to. I've packed my lunch already - so the food intake is healthy, tasty and pretty much defined. (Plus a HECK of a lot cheaper than eating there). I do know that after going to the park, riding the rides, swimming and sitting in the tubes - we are hungry.

How do you log this in exercise?

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    TBH I'd log it as walking or something, since most the time thats what you're doing. Not sure.

You're better off UNDERESTIMATING than overestimating.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    cleaning, shopping, or something similar
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    I don't log things like that because I think it's silly and just about pointless. There isn't a real way to monitor it so I'd rather now just burn what little calories I did burn and didn't know about so I'm not tempted to eat those exercise calories back. Always works for me (=
  • errantfirefly
    Options
    where can i find the shopping exercise? I sweat like no business and am exhausted when i am done.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    where can i find the shopping exercise? I sweat like no business and am exhausted when i am done.

I drool alot.
    That's got to be burning calories, right?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Now... I went to a play barn with my 3 year old and some friends. There was a huge slide (about 2 storeys high) with no queue. I went up and down it for a while, until I had to say I had to stop. At first I logged 5 minutes stair climbing, but I was so exhausted I knew I'd burnt more than it said, so I logged 10 minutes.

I'm not trying to lose anymore, so for me there's no advantage in underestimating my calories. If your normal day is pretty sedentary, then a day of standing and climbing stairs is going to burn far more than you're used to. I never swam much at water parks, just spent all day going up and down flumes.

I'd log differently depending on the burn I FELT. Climbing stairs and swimming ARE NOT the equivalent of shopping!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Ok... So I got curious (secret math nerd that I am)...

I learnt in Junior High that it takes 1 joule to raise 1 Newton by 1 metre.

I am guessing from the OP ticker and photo that he might weigh 300 lb (sorry if I've gone way over!), which is 136.1 kg or 1361 newtons, so that is the joules it should take to climb one metre. That is equal to 325 calories, or more importantly, .325 kcal.

So, rounding up, it should take about 1kcal to go up 3 metre (almost 10 feet). A short slide might be 10 feet high, and many are more, and you go up them soooo many times in a day. Plus standing burns more calories than sitting, and walking more than standing... So you will burn a good number of calories in a day.

Research increasingly shows that it is the exercise we don't think of as exercise which burns the most calories, so I think we should all stop knocking the valiant attempts of those who are doing their best to keep moving!
  • wendyco
    wendyco Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    if you have any GPS tacking apps like runkeeper, and mostly its a walking activity, I'd turn it on soon as u get to the park and leave it on the whole time ur walking...it'll underestimate for sure since you most likely will be stopping a lot bringing the pace down. but it'll give a gist...i try to pause it when i stop n unpause when i start again, and if at the end it said my pace was 2.7 mph for say 3 hrs...i plug it in as 2.5 mph for 3 hrs....

hope it helped..but walking is what u log it as.!