Breast feeding moms help

Options
Moms I need help... I was trying to do the ketogenic diet... And I've messed up my milk supply:(
Can someone help?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Suggestion-go back to what you were doing before you decided to do keto. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit, keto is just one of many ways to create that deficit. Just eat what you did before but smaller portions.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    carb it up. Oatmeal can be a breastfeeding mum's BFF. And I'd suggest saving the hard core dieting until you're ready to wean (sincerely, it can wait)
  • babyseal_24
    babyseal_24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't give you baby a bottle and research how to pump up your supply. I know it's hard, but don't try to diet too hard while you're still breastfeeding- you really do need to eat the extra calories. It's better to focus more on exercising when you can and building your strength back up.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I would be really hesitant to be doing any type of diet when breastfeeding. You need extra calories. Maybe just use MFP for tracking purposes?

Anyway, try fenugreek. You'll smell like maple syrup, but it will help. Also pump in between feedings in order to increase demand.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Also, as a side, with my second child I held onto the extra baby weight until I weaned at 14mo. Then it just dropped right off.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding women should never do low carb, you need carbs even more when breastfeeding. If you want to lose weight set Mfp to lose .5 lbs a week add 300-500 breastfeeding calories to that and hit all 3 macros daily.