FITBIT questions :)

Options
Hi everyone. I am currently looking for a heart rate monitor/ calorie tracker. A lot of people I know use this but I'm really not getting answers to my questions.
Is there an option to start/stop calorie tracker for workouts?
Does this device automatically track when your heart rate changes? For example, if doing interval training...will it detect the high and low without having to 'reset' the way you do on cheaper/not very fancy heart rate monitors?
What do you like most about this?
Do you recommend another device?
I am currently using my Jabra wireless earbuds (has heart rate monitor) for tracking calories. I find it somewhat bothersome to have these on during a Zumba class, but hey, its accurate...
What say you??????

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    - HR is continuously reading all day. It's a 24/7 thing with Fitbit unless you turn it off in the settings.
    - Most models have an activity mode that you can start/stop. I know that the models with HR will also "auto" detect to the best of their ability a workout if you forget to start it (Example, I was walking circles around my apartment tonight. I didn't bother with workout mode. Looking in the app however, my Blaze has a 25 min walk with an avg HR of 96 bpm). Even if you don't start the workout mode, Fitbit will track the calories burned.

It's important to note that Fitbit is an all day activity tracker. It's reported calorie burn includes BMR (broken into 15 min time segments...example: My bmr breaks down to 13 calories every 15 mins. So every 15 mins without activity I get 13 calories added to my calorie burn. If I move around then it's 13 calories + a few for whatever activity I did. By the end of the day my calorie burn reflects my BMR+my daily activity+any exercise.), calories burned by moving around for daily activity, and your exercise calories burned.

If your just looking for something for workouts, then Fitbit isn't for you.
  • ohYeahbaby
    ohYeahbaby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is great information. This definitely helps me understand what this device does and it sounds great. Thank you so so much for breaking this down for me. Have a wonderful night!