Does anyone do P90X?

Options
Cleaning our family room last night and I found these DVDs that I totally forgot about. I don't think it's a currently sold workout anymore, and I never did it when I actually bought them, so I'm wondering, how much will I die? I'm fairly sedentary, but try to get 10,000 steps, but mostly don't make it LOL

Replies

• Papajin68
    Papajin68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    P90X is still sold, but I personally would recommend P90X3 over P90X unless you have at least an hour to dedicate to exercise 6-7 days a week. The Yoga workout alone is 1.5 hours!

If you do decide to give P90X a try, and you really push yourself to keep up with the videos as best you can, then there's a good chance you'll be pretty sore the first week. Also some minimal equipment will be necessary to complete some of the workouts -- I recommend either a pullup bar and weights, or resistance bands (or a combo of the 3) and a yoga mat if possible.
  • fontes830
    fontes830 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm actually currently in phase III of p90x :)
    Have lost roughly 8.5 lbs with exercise + diet and I love this program!
    It is long, 60+ min, 6 days a week, but I don't regret it one bit. In fact I think it's benefitting all aspects of my life!

If you don't have the time p90x3 is likely a good option.

Cheers! Feel free to add or msg me any questions you have

Sara
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I did them for a month or two years ago but they are so long. I like quick workouts. I never finished because I developed some unrelated health conditions and ended needing brain surgery. Anyhow they are really good workouts. I don't think you'll die but you might be sore. :) If I were to do it over I'd sub out the yoga video for a much, much, much shorter one. lol
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I did insanity for a month, and it was really difficult But I modified a ton a day just did the best I could! They range 45 mins or so. Some times I just cut it short and did a cool down sooner. I progressed and was able to do more and more. For example I couldn't do high knees, so I marched. By the end of the month I was able to not only do the high knees but keep up and keep going.

So don't be afraid, try it and push yourself. :)
  • dvmap790
    dvmap790 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did P90X, and have to say it kicked my sweet tush! But I truly loved the feeling of accomplishment I felt after i finished each workout. I did feel that it was more for building up than for losing weight though, and i did not lose any weight during the many weeks i did the program. I am now doing P90, and loving it. It makes you work for it too, but it's not as rough on you as P90X, so it's better for someone who is starting out; additionally, the segments are shorter and I am losing weight! I highly recommend the P90 as a starting point.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've done P90x and liked it. I wasn't afraid of lifting heavy and was doing it to get in better shape after having a baby. My days consisted of a desk job and coming home to take care of baby. So not super active.

It does take about an hour or so. I was never ever able to do a single pull-up and by the time I'd finished P90x, I was able to pump out 3-4 unassisted. I ended up doing it again after I'd finished it. About a year or year and a half, at one point I was able to do 10 chin-ups from a dead hang unassisted. =) So it does get you stronger!

I wasn't tracking my calories at all nor was I tracking inches lost but I was able to get to just about my pre-pregnancy weight due to the program. I loved that I didn't have to do any running or some crazy cardio.

I did alot of the modified versions and followed Tony's advice about picking the right weight (not light but not hernia-inducing heavy for me), even if it was 5 lbs so I could keep good form but challenging nonetheless. I also gave myself extra rest between the sets if I needed it. Oh and while I loved the yoga disc, it's like 1 hr 45 min. I did the whole disc a couple of times and then dropped the last 45 min as I got comfortable with the program.

I think you should try it!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have those old p90x dvds as well. Yes they're long but so what, you can always just do half the workout and the other half next time. You also don't have to do it exactly as they do it, modify the intensity or slow down the movements to suit your capabilities and get through the workout that way.

Yes it's hard on someone who's been sedentary but I think it's a great workout to get in shape. I've already lost all the weight I needed to by doing other things like cycling and hiking, but I plan on going back to p90x for maintenance and when it's raining like today and I can't work out outdoors.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'll throw on a P90X vid here and there. But 70 minutes for a workout vid is pretty long. The Kenpo X is excellent though.