So I have this gluten allergy...

Options
merimeaux
merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
...and I just found out yesterday. Really, it makes sense when I think about other health issues I've been having. But here's the hard part: I'm a vegetarian and have been since the age of 5, so my diet is now uber restricted. Does anyone have any advice or tips they could share with me? I'm kind of at a loss.

I will say that we hit Whole Foods and Trader Joe's today and got some fancy gluten-free alternatives to what I'd normally eat that contained gluten (cereal, granola, rice pasta, some dense bagels that resembled dog treats more than "people food"), so I suppose what I need now is a little guidance to help in my everyday life. I've had a couple meltdowns already, so I'm looking for something to help avoid more of those.

Thanks in advance, MFPers :)

Replies

• Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to say that would help, but I suggest checking out Manifest Vegan -- it's a blog full of vegan and gluten-free recipes, and all the ones I've tried have been delicious! (Her super old stuff is not gluten-free, as she found that out within the past couple of years, so keep that in mind.) Otherwise, it's an awesome blog! www.manifestvegan.com
  • merimeaux
    Options
    I don't have much to say that would help, but I suggest checking out Manifest Vegan -- it's a blog full of vegan and gluten-free recipes, and all the ones I've tried have been delicious! (Her super old stuff is not gluten-free, as she found that out within the past couple of years, so keep that in mind.) Otherwise, it's an awesome blog! www.manifestvegan.com

You had me at lemon cookies :) Added to my Cooking bookmarks. Thank you so much!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Oh, and check out blog.fatfreevegan.com -- she has a category for gluten-free stuff, and ALL of her recipes have nutrition information AND most of it is low-fat and low-calorie. Her "Skinny Figgy Bars" are delicious! I've made them with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats, to share with my gluten-intolerant co-workers. Nom nom nom...
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    Gluten-free vegetarians can eat lots of foods: vegetables, fruit, beans, soy, nuts, eggs, most kinds of dairy (although gluten is used as a binder in some cheeses so google the ingredients if possible), and gluten-free grains (like rice & quinoa).

I'm gluten-free but I never bothered looking for gluten-free versions of the processed foods I used to eat (bread, pasta, pizza, etc) ... I stopped eating processed foods.

I cook like a caveman with a simple formula: vegetables + meat + heat. (In your case it could be vegetables + vegetarian protein + heat.) There are so many good variations on that theme, I never get bored.

Besides, grains are mostly just filler and have very little to offer nutritionally ... nothing that can't be obtained in better quantities from other foods. Sometimes I add rice to my meals, but only if I've gotten all of the nutrients I need for the day and I'm just looking for an inexpensive way to add calories.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My cousin is gluten-intolerant as well, and I've gone wheat-free in the past, so I'm familiar with the routine. Quinoa is one of your best alternatives. Quinoa pastas hold up well when cooking and are very tasty. Ancient Harvest is the brand I like best. You'll also find "Bob's Redmill" brand flours in the grocery store to have some decent gluten-free options. He has gluten-free flours, cornmeal, cake & chocolate chip cookie mix, etc.

Also, many restaurants are attuning themselves to the celiac/gluten-free world, and offering many options if only you'll ask. Some restaurants have a gluten-free menu already prepared, and some will modify existing dishes to be gluten-free. You can even get gluten-free pizza.....at a pizza place.

Some places to check out:
    http://glutenfreegirl.com/
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free/
    http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Harvest-Quinoa-Organic-8-Ounce/dp/tags-on-product/B000LKTBDQ

and of course, google "gluten free vegan". There are a number of books & blogs on the subject.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    You will have to be adventurous and start looking into baking your own gluten free recipes with different gluten free flours like coconut flour. There are tons of cook books out there. I would say start with your local book store and go from there. I'm sure you can also find ton of free recipes via google/online blogs like this site: http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Using-Alternative-Flours/Detail.aspx

Don't feel overwhelmed at first. Take it one step at a time and do one change/recipe at a time.

Good Luck.
  • jshmans
    jshmans Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi. Don't panic! I have two aunts and a cousin who have Celiac Disease and deal very well with it. In fact, my cousin is even pregnant right now. I have been tested a few times and come back negative so I've ruled it out as my problem, but when I'm around my family, I have to eat like they do anyway. And guess what? It's almost not different from what I would normally eat anyway. Really, they're just more careful about brands and labels (apparently some tomato sauce can have gluten? I never would think to look there). It sounds like, as a vegetarian, you already know how to deal with restrictions and unless you're a bread junkie, you probably eat a ton of gluten free stuff already. Rice pasta is really yummy. I almost prefer it to real pasta. The trick is that you have to stir it more as it's boiling or it gets sort of stuck to itself. If you're like me and love pizza, there really are good gluten free pizza doughs out there -- I actually had some pizza my aunt made and was confused as to why she was eating real pizza... I was wrong! It was gluten free! I would suggest, since I don't know the right gluten free brands and recipes, that you join some gluten free internet groups. My aunts go online to check out what's yummy and what's dog food-esque (like the bagel you described) and are in Celiac web groups. I don't know which they use specifically but you could easily start at www.celiac.org and go from there. Even if you are just allergic to gluten and do not have Celiac, they will know all about eating gluten free for sure. Try not to freak out, it does suck a little bit to have an extra thing to think of, but there are lots of normal, natural foods that are still in the running for what will go on your plate tonight. I will actually try to remember to ask my aunts next I speak with them for their favorite sites and brands. Good luck and stay positive!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Pizza: Glutino's duo cheese pizza is the best I've found! It's in the frozen section at Whole Foods, and sometimes other stores.

Pancakes/waffles: Pamela's Pancake and Waffle mix!!!
    Brownies: Also Pamela's. AMAZINGLY GOOD!!

Cookies: Locally (bay area in California) I have recently discovered The Inspired Cookie. Gluten free AND vegan AND amazing. My favourite is the Lemon Lavendar.

You can eat quinoa, rice, buckwheat... Having those grains along with beans is good. Also, I tend to have tons of veggies and fruits. I've been eating gluten free for about eight years, and it is completely amazing to me how many products there are out there now. When I started you pretty much just had to give up everything you used to love :P
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Also, you can find tons of amazing recipes online. You can bake using Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour mix and gluten free oats... cookies, muffins. Just substitute equally with the regular flour or oats!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    ...and I just found out yesterday. Really, it makes sense when I think about other health issues I've been having. But here's the hard part: I'm a vegetarian and have been since the age of 5, so my diet is now uber restricted. Does anyone have any advice or tips they could share with me? I'm kind of at a loss.

I will say that we hit Whole Foods and Trader Joe's today and got some fancy gluten-free alternatives to what I'd normally eat that contained gluten (cereal, granola, rice pasta, some dense bagels that resembled dog treats more than "people food"), so I suppose what I need now is a little guidance to help in my everyday life. I've had a couple meltdowns already, so I'm looking for something to help avoid more of those.

Thanks in advance, MFPers :)

If you have a sunflower market in your area they are much cheaper than Whole foods market. Tradr joes is pretty reasonable, but not as big a choice. We get our bread at Safeway it's 4.79 a loaf compared to the same bread at Whole foods for 5.99. Its called Udi's and it's just like regular bread. Quinoa is a GF super food and there is quite a bit of GF products available these days in mainstream markets. Frys/Krogers is a good place for GF products. Wal-mart has GF heartland pasta that cooks up better and is half the price of the health food stores and they have good GF crackers available. We've been GF since Jan 3rd and it has made a huge difference. lost 11 lbs just goinbg GF. Good luck!
  • healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten-free also.
    I know for sure that there are at least a couple people on here who are also vegetarian! Don't worry, we know all the tricks ;)
  • AriesOx
    AriesOx Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm wheat free, and in general I'm gluten free, but sometimes I do venture into barley and rye if I can't find an alternative (you won't be able to). My recommendation is to learn all the various names that mean gluten/wheat/rye/barley etc - you'll become an avid and expert lable reader. For instance - kamut and spelt are both ancient wheats. And wheat and gluten can be found in SO many things, things you just don't expect. Did you know that soya sauce has wheat in it - I didn't until I started reading all lables :) I found Elizabeth Hasselbeck's book "G-Free diet - A Gluten free survival guide" helpful, even though I really don't like her as a host on the View :) She makes it all relatively easy to understand and points out the most unlikley places you might find gluten.

Good luck with your new adventure. I'm sure you'll find your way - at first it seemed very daunting, but it has gotten easier with time (I'm at about 1.5 years now).
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    I do not eat these, but my kids love them on occasion: Udi's bagels, muffins and breads are awesome. I'm on a paleo style diet (because I have Celiac's and LOVE meat)---so processed foods are just out for me. BUT I will give my kids Udi's if we are going to be around alot of wheat-eaters. They are 11 and 3, and relatively new to the gluten free life. The only time that we have this issue (of wanting the GF alternatives) is mainly around my inlaws. Breads and pastas run rampant at their house. Udi's provides tasty options for my MIL to pick up so she doesn't have to change anything that she doesn't want to on their account.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions, except --- stay strong!!! You're doing so great! This won't be the end of you. In a few weeks, you'll be moving along beautifully in your gluten free lifestyle.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have celiac so I am GF. I am not vegan or vegetarian though.
    I love Tosca Reno and Mark Bittman. They are not either one 100% but they have recipes for both.
    I am contemplating taking a 30 day challenge with a friend. glutenfreegoddess has a great blog.
    Also. Your taste buds need time to change over. What I like people will spit out. But its all what you become use to. Give it time.
    I also read Elaine Gottschall book Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Love it! Check it out. ITs an easy read. Great recipes. I would love to follow it 100% but I get lazy!
  • Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also eat gluten free vegan so it is very restictive but I manage !! Gluten free oats or gluten free toast with almond butter, veggie burgers, brown rice, veggies, nuts, Costco has gluten free multigrain tortilla chips I use wth refried blackbeans and soy cheese for nachos. I use almond milk. I have IBD/Chrones and had numberous health issues going on and my hair was falling out etc. Drs dont ever treat with diet so I read alot on my own and I feel so much better. There is alot of gluten free junk food on the market now.
  • merimeaux
    Options
    Wow! I went to bed last night and you all took this and ran with it! Awesome! I just love the support here. :) Now to attempt to respond to a few things...

@Trishkit: Thanks for the other blog link! Bob's Red Mill stuff is awesome. I just made some stuff with their TVP last week and the whole family (mom, sis, boyfriend--not vegetarians!) loved it.

@janiepumphrey: I know that I'm not *SUPER* limited as far as nature's bounty goes, but this is just generally a little daunting to me right now. I'm bummed because I love tempeh and have recently discovered seitan (these would be the "meats" that I'd add to your veggies+heat equation), and I can't have them now. Even some kinds of tofu (like Trader Joe's Teriyaki Tofu) contain gluten. And I've had to toss most of my protein bars, too. So...I don't know. "Adopt, adapt, improve," I suppose.

@Blackthorne99: Luckily, I'm a fan of quinoa! Yes! I was pumped when I learned that this was gluten-free :D I'll definitely look for that quinoa pasta. As far as gluten-free pizza, I did a little research and saw that Monical's Pizza had a gluten-free option, so we tried it. Pretty good! Thanks also for the links. Added 'em to my recipe folder :)

@Ariyasnow1: Coconut flour! I've never heard of that. Pretty much a whole new world for me. I love allrecipes.com...I foresee my recipe box changing (for the better, maybe)!

@jshmans: I've been reading about foods that can have gluten--and ingredients that actually *mean* they contain gluten--and it seems overwhelming. I'm just going to have to buckle down and learn this stuff! I'm looking forward to trying the Trader Joe's brown rice pasta that I bought. And thanks in advance for asking your family about what they think :)

@erinkeely4: I need to look for this Pamela's brand! It sounds amazing. To be honest I didn't eat a lot of baked goods too often, but I'm going to have to throw a housewarming party here pretty soon and it would be nice if I could eat the food I make!

@StevLL: I've never heard of Sunflower Market (I live in the midwest, land of corn and comfort food) but I wish we had one. Whole Foods is SO expensive. I passed up on a few things (including the Udi's brand) there for that reason. :/ I'm definitely cheap so I hit up Kroger for closeouts and manager's specials, but I love Trader Joe's prices. Too bad we moved away from TJ's, but it's worth the drive!

@healthykae: I figured that the elusive gluten-free vegetarian just HAD to exist...hehe :)

@kelseyk14: Wow! Thank you so much for the recommended list of blogs! That'll keep me busy...I recently quit my horrible job, so I don't have too much else to do. haha. I love to read. :)

@AriesOx: Yeah, I found out that I'm "more" allergic to rye than gluten specifically--however that works. And yeah...soy sauce?! Breaks my heart! My aunt (who's tuned into many things nutrition, though she isn't gluten-free herself) told me about Elizabeth Hasselbeck's book...and even though we don't like her on "The View" either, I might have to put that on my Amazon wish list. heh :) I'm sure this gets easier with time--I hope!--so I'll just take it a day at a time.

@FabCheeky: Okay, I might have to break down and spend a little more to try the Udi's brand. I'm just so incredibly cheap. lol. It was SO HARD for me to pay $6 for granola just because it was gluten free. I'll have to learn to make my own!

@andreahanlon: Aww, thank you for the encouragement! I feel like I could kill for some bread right now but I know it's in my head, especially since I only eat it when we go out. Oy. But you're right...I'll get in the groove eventually. :)

@coronalime: Bittman! I first discovered him when on bedrest for my back surgery, and I watched his show "Bittman Takes on America's Chefs" every day. I have his book "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" and have found it to be an awesome resource. Funny you should mention Tosca Reno, because I just got one of her books from the library. Can't wait to crack that open. As far as taste buds go...they like what I tell them to like! Seriously...if I know it's vegetarian, gluten-free, and good for me...I'll eat it and will like it, dammit! lol! I'll look up that book, too.

@Iammelting: Your post made me hungry! Gluten free vegan--that would be really tough. But it sounds like you're managing...and if a vegan can, I can! :)
  • merimeaux
    Options
    Oh, and I found out in the same breath that I have an allergy to pinto and red kidney beans. This makes for a sad bean-loving vegetarian :( I'm going to call the doctor for clarification to see if black beans are involved in that group, because if they are, I'm supposed to avoid those--as well as pinto and red kidney beans--for three months. I'm worried that I'll have a rough time getting as much protein as I used to (roughly 75g/day) without these beans...
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow! I went to bed last night and you all took this and ran with it! Awesome! I just love the support here. :) Now to attempt to respond to a few things...

See? This is why MFP needs a like button :)