Jumpstarting weight loss after plateaus

eyeshinebright
eyeshinebright Posts: 51 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys. So I know weight loss usually happens in chunks, especially true for me as I usually stay stuck at a certain weight for 3 weeks before I suddenly lose 3 or 4 pounds.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can speed up these plateaus? Or should I just be more patient (which is so hard ugh).

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    No way jumpstart. Just keep plugging away!
  • annie1551
    annie1551 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi there. I think everyone goes through the same thing. I know if I have really stuck to my plan and not cheated and hit a plateau, I have a cheat day. I don't go overboard but allow myself some food that has some fat. I then find I can get back to my plan the following day and I always lose weight that week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    If you're in a true plateau (4-6 weeks with no scale movement), then you need to tighten up your logging. This may mean logging everything you eat, using correct entries and the recipe builder rather than a generic/homemade meal from the database, using a food scale to weigh all foods/measuring cups for all liquids, and being mindful of how many exercise calories you burn and eat back.
  • eyeshinebright
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you're in a true plateau (4-6 weeks with no scale movement), then you need to tighten up your logging. This may mean logging everything you eat, using correct entries and the recipe builder rather than a generic/homemade meal from the database, using a food scale to weigh all foods/measuring cups for all liquids, and being mindful of how many exercise calories you burn and eat back.

I try to only eat back about 50% of my exercise calories, is this too high maybe? And I'm definitely investing in a food scale soon.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    I have broken plateaus by eating at maintenance for a week or two and then back down to a deficit, upping the intensity of exercise, adding intervals to cardio, and also not eating back exercise calories. Keep at it- it will happen! I also agree about tightening up logging. I was at a plateau for two months last year and I had to stop with the BLTs (bites, licks, tastes)- those will get you and add up fast! I had to quit snacking while I was making dinner which meant eating a high protein snack before my workout otherwise I would be famished.
  • eyeshinebright
    annie1551 wrote: »
    Hi there. I think everyone goes through the same thing. I know if I have really stuck to my plan and not cheated and hit a plateau, I have a cheat day. I don't go overboard but allow myself some food that has some fat. I then find I can get back to my plan the following day and I always lose weight that week.

I've noticed similar things happening to me but I never considered using that as a strategy. I think I'll experiment with one cheat day every two weeks and see what happens. Thanks!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Patience and accurate logging as @malibu927 pointed out.

Eating 50% of your exercise calories is fine, as MFP often overestimates calorie burns.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Agree with malibu927. To be at a plateau, it has to be longer than 3 weeks and it looks like you've only been at it just over a month so stick with it. Other things to keep in mind are your monthly cycle (most women tend to "gain" a few lbs during this time only to loose them quickly shortly afterwards) and the time of day you are weighing yourself. I like to do it first thing in the morning, after a trip to the bathroom but before consuming anything. Weight fluctuates so it will rarely ever be the same from one day to the next, let alone during the course of one day.

This is a good thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    I was at a plateau for two months last year and I had to stop with the BLTs (bites, licks, tastes)- those will get you and add up fast!

I try to log those BLTs as accurately as possible. And by that I mean I overestimate what I'd had.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Change it up on the exercise front. Get some HIIT training in, anything to up the metabolism
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    You're fine. It's normal to stall. The stalling may be fluid retention. Sounds like you're a 'whoosh-er'. Just keep at it....If it aint broke....
    annie1551 wrote: »

I've noticed similar things happening to me but I never considered using that as a strategy. I think I'll experiment with one cheat day every two weeks and see what happens. Thanks!
    I don't think eating more would help.....and fat is really good for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

all of this.
  • Ellectra5
    Ellectra5 Posts: 1 Member
    Make sure you are adding intense intervals during your workouts. e.g sprinting hard for 30sec during your regular run or upping the resistance for minute on the cross-trainer. Our bodies are annoyingly good at adapting to our routines, eventually this means if you always do the same steady workout it won't be as effective anymore. Adding intervals to your workouts help boost your metabolism more during and after your workout, helping you burn more fat for the same amount of time invested. Also, be sure you are incorporating resistance training, or adding weights to help build muscle. The more muscle you have the more calories your body needs to sustain them helping you lose weight faster. For your body to maintain your muscle you need to be eating adequate protein, or you may find you are actually losing muscle rather than building it. And one last tip, make sure you are drinking enough water, to burn fat your body needs water. If your dehydrated your body will struggle to use up the fat it needs during your workouts. Good luck, stay positive and keep at it! :smile:
  • eyeshinebright
    Thanks everyone! I have been slowly incorporating strength training into my regime by doing compound lifts with different sets of dumbbells and kettlebells at home. I'm also eating more things like avocado to up those healthy fats. I'm purchasing a food scale this week so I will see how that goes. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Ellectra5 wrote: »
    Make sure you are adding intense intervals during your workouts. e.g sprinting hard for 30sec during your regular run or upping the resistance for minute on the cross-trainer. Our bodies are annoyingly good at adapting to our routines, eventually this means if you always do the same steady workout it won't be as effective anymore. Adding intervals to your workouts help boost your metabolism more during and after your workout, helping you burn more fat for the same amount of time invested. Also, be sure you are incorporating resistance training, or adding weights to help build muscle. The more muscle you have the more calories your body needs to sustain them helping you lose weight faster. For your body to maintain your muscle you need to be eating adequate protein, or you may find you are actually losing muscle rather than building it. And one last tip, make sure you are drinking enough water, to burn fat your body needs water. If your dehydrated your body will struggle to use up the fat it needs during your workouts. Good luck, stay positive and keep at it! :smile:

none of this is valid.

the way to boost metabolism is to add weight either through muscle or just plain fat..the heavier you are the more you burn.

Adding weights does not build muscle...you need at the very least eat at maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program and at most eat at a surplus and lift heavy.

and I've never understood why people believe that changing things up with our exercise helps weight loss????

Exercise is not required for weight loss....just a calorie deficit...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

The only bit that is really good advice here is "keep at it". Sorry but the rest is chock full of diet and fitness industry woo making things far more complex than they have to be.

OP - Three weeks is nothing, especially for a woman. The way to be successful is to keep doing the right things and be patient. Get that food scale sooner rather than later - even if you don't always use it it's hugely educational on portion sizes.
  • eyeshinebright
    sijomial wrote: »

The only bit that is really good advice here is "keep at it". Sorry but the rest is chock full of diet and fitness industry woo making things far more complex than they have to be.

OP - Three weeks is nothing, especially for a woman. The way to be successful is to keep doing the right things and be patient. Get that food scale sooner rather than later - even if you don't always use it it's hugely educational on portion sizes.

Thanks so much! Patience is tough for me in these situations but I will definitely keep at it.