Besides the ususal..

Options
Anyone have any ideas on different types of veggies beside the usual broccoli & carrots. Green beans and corn... I'm looking to expand. And could really use some opinions ! I'm going to adventure out to squashes this weekend. I pin a lot on Pinterest and hoping to find some good stuff. Really looking forward to kicking it up a bit. Thank you for any ideas and thoughts ! Tips welcomed also for seasoning or how you like to cooked them up!

Replies

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I recommend looking up what is in season for you and going after that
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Grill, roast, or bake some veggies with a little bit of oil. Sliced squash works well for that.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-roast-any-vegetable-101221

Butternut squash is one of my hubby's favorite foods. We wash it and then put it in the oven whole to bake.
    It is easy to cut AFTER it is cooked like that.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Grill, roast, or bake some veggies with a little bit of oil. Sliced squash works well for that.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-roast-any-vegetable-101221

Butternut squash is one of my hubby's favorite foods. We wash it and then put it in the oven whole to bake.
    It is easy to cut AFTER it is cooked like that.

If you have a crock pot you can cook squashes in that too - just line your crockpot with foil (I just drape a square inside so that some hangs out the top - to lift the squash out when it's done) wash the squash and then plop it in there. Cover & cook on low 6-8 hours. Perfect squash every time without heating up your big oven (it matters here in So California haha!). I've done it with spaghetti squash, butternut, acorn, all met with perfect success!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts! There are so many yummy ways to cook them...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you ventured into leafy greens yet? I have been craving sorrel soup badly lately. Too bad I can't find sorrel anywhere :(
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It turns out I like Brussels Sprouts as well - there are a number of great recipes out there. My first introduction to them was a Skinnytaste recipe, Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta (although I just used bacon). There's another that is absolutely phenomenal; high in fat though, but I now eat LCHF so it works for me, from Peace Love & Low Carb - Skillet Roasted Bacon Brussels Sprouts with Garlic-Parmesan Cream Sauce

Cauliflower is incredibly versatile... were like it just with cheese sauce honestly. But it is also great roasted with Parmesan too. Or if you have any desire to do any kind of experimenting with it there are about 3 million recipes for other ways to use it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jalapeno Cheddar Cauliflower Muffins from I Breathe, I'm Hungry. In fact I think I'll make some of those today. Yesterday I made Grain Free Nacho Pot Pies for dinner and my kids actually ate it without griping! (ground cauliflower makes up the bulk of the "crust"). granted, I didn't tell them it was Cauli but about halfway through dinner (and after about 15 tries) they guessed it and kept eating anyway - total WIN.

We do green beans in a couple different ways: Oven Fried Garlic Parmesan Green Beans and Mexican Roasted Green Beans are both good.

Roasted cabbage (sliced into thick "steaks" then drizzled with oil, seasonings, and baked at 425 for about 35 minutes) is yummy.

I recently ran across a recipe for steamed artichokes and bought one - haven't managed to make it yet, but it is in my fridge!

Oh! Some more:
    Roasted Radishes are good, as are Rutabaga Home Fries; also really surprisingly tasty is Celery Root Hash
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Breaded zucchini, zucchini noodles, stuff zucchini, zucchini breads or muffins
    Mashed sweet potato, sweet potato noodles, sweet potato fritters
    Peppers and onions sauteed, stuffed peppers, carmelized onions
    Roasted white potato slices, potatoes and green beans, potatoes and peas
    Vegetable stir fry
    Buffalo cauliflower, mashed caulilower
    Minstrone soup
    Tomato and bean salad, caprese salad, stuffed tomatoes, tomatoes in soup, on sandwiches, on pizza, on tacos, in pasta sauce
    Sauteed cabbage, cabbage pancakes, cabbage with potatoes and sausage, cabbage slaw on Korean tacos
    Spinach salad, spinach on pizza, spinach stuffed bread, spinach in soup, on sandwiches, on tacos, spinach stuffed pasta, spinach stuffed chicken
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Asparagus - one of our favorites, when in season and doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Prepare by cutting the ends off, lay on baking sheet, drizzle with a good olive oil, sprinkle salt and roast for about 10 minutes in a 425 oven.

Cauliflower - so many different ways, our favorite is boiled then mashed like potatoes with seasonings - yum!
    "Riced" and use in so many different variations.

Butternut squash - cut in half length-wise, scoop out seeds, lay face down in a pan with couple inches of water and bake at 375 for an hour. Scoop it out and use it many different ways - or just eat it!

Zucchini in so many different ways - I use them in eggs, zoodles (they are our pasta), roasted, grilled and yellow crook neck squash also.

We usually roast a huge baking sheet of zucchini, yellow squash, onion, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and colorful bell peppers and just eat or use in omelettes or anything else.

Julienne orange, yellow, red bell peppers, sweet onion and place in a baking dish with chicken breast - sprinkle with taco seasoning or fajita season (I make my own) bake at 375 for 45 minutes and you have baked fajitas. We don't put cheese on them as the recipe says - I let everyone add their own amount of desired cheese if any. Heat up - no oil- corn tortillas and eat veggies as fajitas -- Nice and tasty low calorie meal!

And of course roasted brussel sprouts....

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Grilled asparagus is so good. I could sit and eat a kilo myself. I would hate myself every time I took a piss, but enjoy it while it is going in my mouth. :p
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Grilled asparagus is so good. I could sit and eat a kilo myself. I would hate myself every time I took a piss, but enjoy it while it is going in my mouth. :p

Me too. I always forget how good it is when roasted/grilled and eat a ton of it and then gross myself out afterwards.

I also eat a ton of roasted/blistered tomatoes, bell peppers (I love them sauteed with onions), broccoli and cauliflower (roasted or steamed with lemon, salt and pepper, garlic, and a little drizzle of white truffle oil to finish), cucumbers with vinegar and dill, spiralized raw zucchini with Greek dressing, Brussels sprouts, raw carrots, and leafy greens of any kind. I love vegetables and I think they're super versatile and delicious. Lots of roasting or light steaming in my house and we love to add stuff like flavoured oils and vinegars, fresh herbs, lemon, light gratings of flavourful cheeses like romano or parmesan reggiano, roasted garlic, and hot sauce to our vegetables. I also throw pretty well any of them in pasta, on pizza, into green salads, in a bowl with a can of tuna, mixed with rice or noodles or quinoa, etc etc etc.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1. get bowl
    2. add in 1 cup "mixed" veggies, .5 cup spinach, .5 cup broccoli (and kale if you can get it), all frozen
    3. season with whatever (Mrs. Dash? MSG? Chili powder?) + (lots of NuSalt and Lite Salt too), Sriracha sauce, brown sauce, and olive oil
    4. microwave for ~3 minutes

Take it out, chop up the big stuff, stir it all up so you've got even coverage with all your sauces and seasonings, and then nuke it another ~20 seconds. It'll be fantastic.

Add in a cup of V8 juice, and you've got five servings of veggies in about five minutes of prep time. Three of that in which you can be prepping something else too.

If you make your food too fussy and complicated, people are unlikely to do it consistently which is what counts.
  • mallory7813
    mallory7813 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Holy ! There is a lot out there I see ! Thank you all so much makes me feel Kore comfortable getting g out there more. :)
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    1. get bowl
    2. add in 1 cup "mixed" veggies, .5 cup spinach, .5 cup broccoli (and kale if you can get it), all frozen
    3. season with whatever (Mrs. Dash? MSG? Chili powder?) + (lots of NuSalt and Lite Salt too), Sriracha sauce, brown sauce, and olive oil
    4. microwave for ~3 minutes

Take it out, chop up the big stuff, stir it all up so you've got even coverage with all your sauces and seasonings, and then nuke it another ~20 seconds. It'll be fantastic.

Add in a cup of V8 juice, and you've got five servings of veggies in about five minutes of prep time. Three of that in which you can be prepping something else too.

If you make your food too fussy and complicated, people are unlikely to do it consistently which is what counts.

Sounds yummy but what is brown sauce?

• 3nails1love
    3nails1love Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My budget doesn't allow for me to shop for veggies fresh each day. I usually go once a month to a market that I can get cheap veggies, I buy whatever I see. Radish, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, celery (the ball kind)... After I get home I clean and chop/slice it all up and put them into bags and freeze them. I make curries, soups, and casseroles with them. Cheap and easy meals and of course the soups are very low calorie and filling for my lunches.