How to build stamina and fitness?

So I am going to be going cherry packing for the summer (not as intense as picking but still) and I am looking to build up my stamina a bit before I go. I want to be able to work the full day without feeling like im dying lol. Im not expecting myself to be able to run a marathon or anything like that but I want to be in a bit better shape before I go. I am leaving in about 2 months-ish. I am in very bad shape right now lets just put it that way. What exercises can I do to build stamina and get myself in better shape?

Replies

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Walking. Start slow and if its too easy, go faster. Then go for longer walks. Then walk uphill or upstairs. But if you really are in bad shape to begin with, you should have a doctor or professional trainer recommend a fitness program. Good luck!
  • Mudakon
    Mudakon Posts: 19 Member
    Don't just try to increase your stamina in once exercise, if you for example walk everyday for 1-2 years your body will get used to it, try other things as well. That what i got told when i asked my trainer.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    I am not sure what you mean by Cherry Packing, but will take it literally that you are taking on a job that involves harvesting and packing cherries. Starting out with walking is going to do a lot for your endurance and stamina, but you are also going to need core strength and the ability to lift and move (I assume) crates of produce. So, start walking and like @0okoo says above, vary the distance, speed and terrain. If you are sedentary, do that exclusively for 2-3 weeks, then start incorporating a core strength program (google this) and also learn about lifting with your legs. If you are severely out of shape, you should talk with your doctor and go slow and steady. You don't want to add too much all at once if you are really heavy/out of shape. Please realize though, if you are adding in workouts and exercising more, you're going to be hungrier. Be sure to eat adequate protein and whole foods. Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Doing more things- for longer.

walking is probably a good start.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Squat a lot.
  • bjade18
    bjade18 Posts: 21 Member
    Well im not like immobile or like super super out of shape. I just mean i am sedentary and more out of shape from before because i am healing from being down and out for a few years from illness. I don't think i need a doctor, its not THAT bad and i wouldnt be considered very heavy, just overweight. But thanks for the suggestions. I'll start with walking.