Sitting at a desk for 8 hours...what kind of exercises can one do?

Options
I sit at a desk for work and try to do leg lifts but stop after 20 or when my chair makes loud noises. Does anyone have recommendations on exercises that I can do while I sit? Thanks!

Replies

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of water so I get up and walk to the bathroom a lot. I also hide in there to do squats several times/day.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i sit at a desk all day, i make sure my two ten minute breaks are spent power walking. i make lots of unnecessary trips to the printer and fax. I get up and do full body stretches at least once an hour. I ALWAYS practice perfect posture sitting, i never slouch or hunch over. I figure thats about the only benefits i'll be able to squeeze out of a boring desk job. I used to go to the gym and workout at lunch every day, that was fun. but now i go to the gym after work so i spend my lunch time walking with friends, and then come back and eat at my desk.
  • littlebrittfit
    littlebrittfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    I drink a ton of water so I get up and walk to the bathroom a lot. I also hide in there to do squats several times/day.

i like that idea!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I just get up and walk around whenever I can so I don't stay sitting for too long. I will stand while taking calls sometimes if I can't walk away. And I take a brisk walk during lunch. And I do my actual workouts before or after work.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can you take a brisk walk during lunch? Under desk cycles work for some.

Bathroom squats, or (stall) wall push ups.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options

My trick is that every time I go to the bathroom I chug a large glass of water. It means you are getting up every hour or so.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options

haha this is me for sure. I drink a gallon and a half a day so I'm up and going every hour. Then, I secretly do angled wall pushups in the bathroom or squats.
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a desk that converts to a stand up position. Still at a desk, but at least I'm not just sitting.
  • AshleeProulx
    AshleeProulx Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Great idea!!!
  • AshleeProulx
    AshleeProulx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a desk that converts to a stand up position. Still at a desk, but at least I'm not just sitting.

I raised my desk at work but a co-worker took the only "taller" chair...So I just put books under my computer screens so I can stand up more versus sitting!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I make time for dedicated training outside of work.

At work, I don't do anything special other than make sure I get up and walk around a bit every hour or so. If I need to talk to a colleague or something, I'm more inclined to get up and go to their office or cube rather than paging them or emailing them. I work on the 3rd floor and take the stairs, etc.