How do you Calculate Milage

Options
Mveler
Mveler Posts: 274 Member
I am walking several different "Park" trails but cannot locate the mileage involved... The car cannot be driven there either.. Should I just be tracking time and not worry about the mileage?

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    try www.mapmyrun.com. that might help. I estimate my mileage based on what I know to be my average timed speed (I get that from doing a 10K every now and then). So since I know that I run an average 10 1/2 minute mile, I estimate that I've run 4 miles in 42 minutes.
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    hmmm.... I'd be interested in finding out about this as well.
    I know there's 5280 feet in a mile. if you figure every step as aprox. 1 foot I'd say once you take 5280 steps its mile? lol Take a step counter with you when you go running. That would be my scientific approach. but I am sure someone has a more accurate way!
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    If you have an Android phone, there is a great free app called Cardio Trainer. I use it for all of my walks in the parks and neighborhood. It tracks the path I'm walking, distance, time, steps, and speed.
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    pedometers are a cheap, low-tech way to track this. But if you have a smart phone, then you can probably find an app that will track it for you using the GPS in your phone.
  • sshap21712
    sshap21712 Posts: 139
    Options
    I use IMapMyRun(app) on my phone.It uses my GPS to calculate mileage and speed. I also wear a Heart Rate Monitor to calculate my calories burned.
  • LoriDinTX
    LoriDinTX Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I believe about 2000 steps is a mile, depending on your stride length. You could get a pedometer that counts steps and mileage. Once you set it for your actual stride length it will keep track of the miles for you. Or if you have an I-Phone that can do it for you, too (I don't, but my daughter does, so I've taken her on walks with me to calculate the mileage of my route).
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I like mapmyrun.com as well. You can also use a lot of pedometers that will allow you to measure your stride distance and put that into the pedometer. Then the pedometer can track your steps, multiply that by your stride length and give you an approximation.
    Realistically though, you can certainly just walk for time and/or wear a heart rater monitor.
    Have fun on your walks!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
  • Mveler
    Options
    I have a smart phone so I will look for apps. I am wanting a HRM but the ones I see are roughly 75.00? (with strap) so I figure that will be a 40lb reward to myself. Until then, I will do things the old fashioned ;) way. (Apps and all ;) )

Thanks!! I really appreciate the information.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You can get a HRM (for calories burned) with a GPS (for mileage and pace). I have a Garmin and I like it. When you upload the data, the software also shows you the course you did. It's an investment, though.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you have an Android phone, there is a great free app called Cardio Trainer. I use it for all of my walks in the parks and neighborhood. It tracks the path I'm walking, distance, time, steps, and speed.

I just started using Cardio Trainer, and I LOVE it!! Have used it twice now. Just have to press "Start" and "End" and it will give you the distance you covered. That said, I still use my HRM to measure calories burned. The calories provided by Cardio Trainer were lower than my HRM.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    If you know about what pace you walk, just time it.
  • LewisBirchenough
    Options
    If there are parts of your route where there isn't a clear view of the sky (e.g. due to foliage etc.) then a GPS method might not be totally accurate since GPS works by picking up signals from satellites to calculate distance.
  • Mveler
    Options
    I downloaded Cardio Trainer. We will see how it goes, Thanks so much