Cancer Survivor.

Options
48801 Posts: 41 Member
Hello, I am back In 2015 I was bound and determined to make changes in my life. I was doing fine until March, then it was found that I had stage 3 breast cancer. Went through surgeries. I now feel strong enough to regain my health. Exercise will be a tad bit risky, (double mastectomy, lymph node removal) but where there is a will there is a way. Treadmill will be my friend, lower body toning until I find what I can and can't do for upper body strength/toning.
I've read that exercise can be beneficial in keeping recurrence at bay. I'm

Are there any other cancer survivors on board? I would love to hear from you.

Replies

• seasonsdreams
    seasonsdreams Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My mother recently beat her stage two breast cancer. My grandmother beat hers years ago aswell. Exercising will be a great way for you to stay healthy, physically and mentally. The only thing my mom has to watch for is lymphoedema which she has developed in her finger. Which hers is not too bad. They sell compression gloves and sleeves that are to help prevent that while exercising. Best wishes to you!
  • Jburlen2007
    Jburlen2007 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congrats and best of luck working out!

Just found out on Tuesday my grandfather has pancreatic cancer...not a great survival rate.
  • AudreysMommy2014
    AudreysMommy2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with TNBC late last year. I've had chemotherapy, surgery and am starting radiation later today. Feel free to send me a friend request so that we can support each other.
  • 44survivor
    44survivor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm a breast cancer survivor too. I was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 43. I've been through the surgeries and am now trying to re-gain my health. I'm trying to loose the 15 pounds I gained in the process of treatment. I've been working at it for almost a year but the scale hasn't moved. The good news though is my energy and endurance have increased tremendously, I can sleep well again and I am off all medication.
    Looking for support, encouragement, and tips from others.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congrats on beating cancers *kitten*!! My son was diagnosed with Leukemia last year and is 7mo out from a bone marrow transplant. I spent months sitting in a hospital room with him, and put on an extra 20+ pounds on top of my already overweight frame. Now I have over 100lbs to lose! I know being a caregiver is not the same as a survivor, but I still see things from a similar perspective. I need to take control of at least one aspect of my life, as we try to climb our way out of the cancer world....
  • texmex39
    texmex39 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For 44survivor : Hi there, just read your posting. I too was diagnosed last year June with breast cancer and went thru the chemo, surgery and radiation and have been put on an estrogen blocker which is plays havoc with the body. I have already put on 30 pounds and nothing I was doing is moving it, so here I am. Started Sunday and have already lost 4 pounds so that's encouraging. Just stick to your allotted calories and eat healthy
  • redsunrisemountain
    redsunrisemountain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To 48801 - I am a breast cancer survivor also, diagnosed in 2013. First surgery was in 2013 and 5 surgeries since. Over a year of chemo and gained 15 pounds during treatment and now I am working to lose it. I feel strong and ready to succeed!

Good luck with your goals!
  • 1shark1bite
    1shark1bite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    All cancer survivors are Heros to me!
  • pcnwsubs
    pcnwsubs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 45years old and I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, I had a lympectomy and I'm waiting for my octotype score to determine if I need chemo. I started the alkaline diet and I decided I needed to gain strength now before I start treatment and tamoxifen. I have heard about the side effects of tamoxifen and I'm nervous.
    48801 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was was given taxol too. You're wise to get in shape prior to any chemo. If I can be of assistance in any fashion, add me.
  • missyelliott69
    missyelliott69 Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I was diagnosed with stage 2 grade 2 BC in Sept 2011. Had lumpectomy, Chemo, right mastectomy then radiotherapy. Had tamoxifen for 3 years now started Anastrozole with zoladex implant about 6 months ago. I started to gain weight from the get go and it's just continued in an upwards direction. Since the start to this day I've gained a whopping 6.5 stone. I look like a hippo. I previously lost 6 stone years ago with calorie intake counting and running. I can't run now due to a disc issue in my back but I have to do something as I dislike what I see when I look in the mirror. Only I can change it....so here goes eh. Great to know I'm not alone.