So where do I even begin? I want to get in shape..

Options
So i'm male, 277 pounds, and REALLY want to get into shape. but im not sure where to begin. I also need to getting my eating under control, where it stands now i have a voracious appetite and feel like I'm almost always hungry, so some tips with dealing with that would be very appreciated.

Can anyone recommend some exercises to really burn down extra fat as well as some exercises to help build upper body strength? I was thinking about starting out trying to do squats and push ups and see where that takes me, but that just seems so simple to start out with and I'd rather try and start some sort of exercise regime to try and start following. any tips on doing that?

I know its a good idea to try and focus on something every day of the week, ive seen examples such as: core on Monday, upper body on Tuesday, legs on Wednesday, etc...

the problem with this is I'm really not sure what all to focus on certain days and exercises to go with those areas of exercise. Like I understand that maybe I would do push-ups on a day where I want to focus on upper body building exercises, but what else would I do that day? and what would I do on days when I want to focus on exercising my legs and core?
if anyone could write out a real exercise regime complete with a couple exercises to do each day as well as how many reps to start out with, that would be LOADS of help and really give me a good place to start. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Check out http://darebee.com/ Scroll to the bottom and check out the "getting started" portion of the page. I'll bet you will find something that looks good to you. There are also lots of great articles for research on there too. Don't forget plain old walking as an exercise too. Congratulations on starting a new lifestyle! You can do it! As for eating, have you set up a plan on here and are you tracking (honestly) each meal and snack?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    ActionB461 wrote: »
    So where do I even begin?

Begin by reading the top sticky post in this forum, called "Most helpful posts".

And since your goal is fat loss, read the sticky post in the Diet forum.. thoroughly. :+1:
  • Neen79
    Neen79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In addition to watching what I eat and logging everything on MFP I joined Daily Burn. I do the Daily Burn 365 workout at least 5 times a week. It's challenging at times but I'm still motivated to push through. The group is really supportive as well. I just joined last week and I'm down 2.2 pounds. The workouts vary every day so I enjoy it more than watching a dvd or trying to find my way around the gym. You also don't need any equipment to get a great workout. (I'm sore almost every single day.)

Check it out, you might get addicted! :smile: http://dailyburn.com/invite/LBxKY
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    One person you should definitely check out is "feeding fitness" on you YouTube or check out "vismal" here on MFP. The guy has excellent pointers for weightloss and had been obese himself
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started at 300lbs, and most of your effort is going to be in the kitchen, ensuring that you maintain a calorie deficit as you get to whatever your goal weight is. That being said, I would definitely start doing some sort of progressive strength training program (like stronglifts 5x5) to maintain as much lean body mass as possible. I didn't start out lifting, and it's a lot harder to build more muscle mass after it's gone than it is to maintain it as you lose. Most of all, be patient and don't try to lose more that a pound a week or you'll burn out.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    At this point, you should be focusing on one thing: consistency. Read the stickies. Choose a workout program that you can do, choose an eating program that you can live with, and do them - no cheating (unless you want to build in a cheat day, which should be properly logged).

Lots of people new to working out move from program to program, or from diet to diet, so much that fitness never becomes a part of their lifestyle. And then they complain that "nothing works." These are the people you'll see (including on this forum) who tell you that counting calories doesn't work, or who try to find ridiculous quick fixes like raspberry ketones.

The truth is, if you haven't done something with *extreme consistency* for 3 months, you haven't even made an attempt. And if you haven't done it for 6 months, you haven't done it enough to make any judgment at all as to its effectiveness.

This takes discipline for the first few weeks, and then it just becomes your lifestyle. After 6 months, you can reevaluate whether you want to try something new.

Good luck.