Sprints and quadricep issues

Options
I'm having trouble with my quads when doing sprints at the end of my workouts. They begin to tense up after one to two 50meter sprints and can be sore for days here is an example of my M,W,F workout schedule
Ran 1mi 7:28min
Spartan 2 rotations, 45sec sets(10)
Lonnies abs 1 rotation, 45sec sets(5)
Sprints 1 FAIL quad tensing up
Static stretches
And Tu,Thur
I ran 5 to 7 miles at approximately 8min. Pace

I would be grateful to receive some suggestions.
Thanks,
Dan

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Are you properly utilising your posterior chain? Are your quads compensating for under activated glutes/hamstrings?

Could be that your form is off and you're failing to bring in the right musculature. Or it could be that you need to do activation drills for your glutes/hamstrings as part of your warm up in order to bring them into play more fully.

I'd start with some glute/ham work prior to your sprints and see if that clears things up. If it doesn't you may want to get someone to cast an eye over your form.
  • danielrfisher86
    danielrfisher86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will most definitely try that, I definitely transition into sprints approximately 2min after my workout without doing any drills
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Do you do any targeted glute/ham strength work outside of your sprinting sessions? e.g Goodmornings, RDL's, Deadlifts, GHR's, Heavier KB swings, Hip thrusts, etc? Because I'd look at not merely activating your posterior chain prior to your sprint sessions, but actively working on building the strength in it through targeted work...

Activation drills prior could be anything like light kb swings, single leg RDL's, lighter hip thrust/glute bridge variations, fire hydrants, bird dogs, clam shells. Anything that hits the lot, gets it firing, gets blood into the tissues and doesn't accumulate too much fatigue and therefore take away from your session.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    ^^ All that. Hip thrusts are best for my sprints.
  • danielrfisher86
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Do you do any targeted glute/ham strength work outside of your sprinting sessions? e.g Goodmornings, RDL's, Deadlifts, GHR's, Heavier KB swings, Hip thrusts, etc? Because I'd look at not merely activating your posterior chain prior to your sprint sessions, but actively working on building the strength in it through targeted work...

Activation drills prior could be anything like light kb swings, single leg RDL's, lighter hip thrust/glute bridge variations, fire hydrants, bird dogs, clam shells. Anything that hits the lot, gets it firing, gets blood into the tissues and doesn't accumulate too much fatigue and therefore take away from your session.

http://workouts.menshealth.com/workout/spartacus-workout

This is the workout I'm doing. Though I'm not using weights and have replaced three of the exercises with planks, pull-ups, and squats for the exercises that would be silly without them
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What happens when you do your sprints first?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You could also try ramping up the effort--go at 85-90% effort instead of all out and build up some conditioning before you progress.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try stretching your quads for 30+ seconds every hour throughout the day (set alarms). Post an update after 2 days. :+1:
  • danielrfisher86
    Options
    What happens when you do your sprints first?

I get a sharp pain typically on my left quadricep and the pain is deep, it doesn't hurt as much on the surface
  • danielrfisher86
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    You could also try ramping up the effort--go at 85-90% effort instead of all out and build up some conditioning before you progress.

I was going 100% at first and that's when the problem in my hip/quad started
    Yesterday I tried at 80% and the pain came back after one sprint. Also I incorporated sprints three weeks ago
  • danielrfisher86
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Try stretching your quads for 30+ seconds every hour throughout the day (set alarms). Post an update after 2 days. :+1:

Absolutely and will report back