Anyone followed the MFP calorie requirements exactly and lost the weight desired? With diet alone?

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all solid food on a kitchen scale? That's first number one. If you are not weighing your food and not losing weight, then you are eating more than you think you are period. The large initial loss is water weight, you might not have been retaining much water which means no big initial drop. If you have 25 pounds or less to lose half a pound a week is realistic. It is going to take time, but once again if you are not using a kitchen scale you are not accurately tracking. Do you own and use a food scale?

This.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Open up that diary, and let us see!
  • SFBMCBuck
    SFBMCBuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am 54 years old, when I started (28 FEB) I was at 259 lbs. and I am currently at 241 lbs. I have experimented with MFP and diet alone and also with exercise (cardio + strength) and MFP diet. I spoke with a nutritionist and he adjusted my macros to 180/160/60 (and calories to 1900 from 2070). On the 1900 cal diet I still only maintain my weight, to lose weight I require MFP, cardio and strength training to actually lose weight.
  • ErryDayImHustlin
    ErryDayImHustlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah,right now they recommend 1600 calories for me but I'm doing 1400 on most days(eat lots of veggies which keep me full).Is it like an exact science,you eat at a deficit you lose weight accordingly?

Pretty much. Your BMR and TDEE will vary somewhat from the calculators, but thats easy to adjust for. Its likely that any variance will be smaller than inaccuracies in counting (even if you weigh everything, which you should).
  • AryaG08
    AryaG08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't own a food scale. I try to be as accurate as I can but after reading this thread I am getting one right away! I went through all the stages of grief once you guys told me that I could be logging all wrong! I had not even considered that possibility.... Thank you so much for the advice you guys. Thirty pounds to lose but am drinking a lot less and feeling a lot better already! Just gonna keep at it.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you can't log accurately without weighing your food. almost everyone here has tried eyeballing servings, only to discover that our eyes see 250 grams as 100 :D
  • AryaG08
    AryaG08 Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hahahah or half a bottle of wine as one serving
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's really just a numbers game.

Now, calories in are estimates (even if you weigh your food - they are just much better estimates than if you didn't). Calories burned are also estimates, since no calculator knows your precise body composition or activity level. And the scale is error-prone because your body has a lot besides fat that can vary in weight, notably water which can change by several pounds in a day.

However, if you're in a deficit, you will see a long-term trend towards weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    AryaG08 wrote: »
    Hahahah or half a bottle of wine as one serving

When I used to have a "glass" or two of wine when gardening after work, this was the glass:

61IdPr8G4qL._SY355_.jpg
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are so many benefits to exercising other than weight loss I don't understand why anyone who can exercise wouldn't.

I see you are 19 - are you in university?

your-brain-on-exercise_53d851447a683_w540.jpg
    Great graphic, thanks for posting that.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I lost 155 pounds in 8.5 months by diet alone. I went from 340 to 185 from January to mid September of 2015. I did no exercise, I set a custom 1300 calorie goal, I lost a lot faster than I should have. I averaged around 18 pounds per month, obviously not towards the end. In the beginning I had lost 90 pounds in 3 months. I did not have weight loss surgery. I did not take any diet pills or drink any sort of detox. I ate real food.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yep, I lost the extra weight by diet alone (by eating at a calorie deficit).
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set to lose 1lb/week and I have lost 1lb/week for 16 weeks straight. Yes, it works.
  • formerfatman
    formerfatman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 180+ pounds in a year and a half following exactly what MFP told me.