Toning... Gaining weight?

I'm starting to get discouraged. I've lost 50 pounds since 02/15 but I've starting doing crunches, squats etc to tighten up but I haven't lost weight in like a month. Is this normal? Any tips or advice?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Possibly water retention. Possibly you eat too much. Hard to say with as little info as you provided.
  • lisoletteopal
    lisoletteopal Posts: 5 Member
    I've been sticking to the 1200 calories recommended, I'm 5`6 and 170....I do 20 minutes of cardio 5xs a week.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Change your goal to 1 pound of weight loss per week. If you are close to a normal BMI your weight loss will slow and not be as rapid. If you are that active you need to eat more. I would also recommend taking pictures &/or measurements since the scale can be deceiving.
  • lisoletteopal
    Thanks! I'll try changing my goals. I have been taking pictures every 6 months. I'll start measuring! :)
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    As you've changed your exercise routine, maybe you need to look at changing your diet a bit too :smile:
  • ErryDayImHustlin
    ErryDayImHustlin Posts: 23 Member
    In simple terms, strenuous exercise damages the muscles (dont worry - its a good thing, and its why the body builds them back stronger). In order to repair the damage, the body uses water to transport nutrients to the muscles. This results in increased water retention, and it can be very significant depending on how much you are lifting.

Also, keep in mind that "toning" is sort of a myth. There is only one way to make your muscles more pronounced and that is to increase the size of them. Dont be afraid to (safely) lift heavy weights for lower repetitions. You'll build size and strength more quickly. Trust me, you wont get "bulky" from lifting weights. If it was that easy every guy you see in the gym would be jacked and female bodybuilders wouldnt need to take loads of steroids :smiley:
  • lisoletteopal
    In simple terms, strenuous exercise damages the muscles (dont worry - its a good thing, and its why the body builds them back stronger). In order to repair the damage, the body uses water to transport nutrients to the muscles. This results in increased water retention, and it can be very significant depending on how much you are lifting.

Also, keep in mind that "toning" is sort of a myth. There is only one way to make your muscles more pronounced and that is to increase the size of them. Dont be afraid to (safely) lift heavy weights for lower repetitions. You'll build size and strength more quickly. Trust me, you wont get "bulky" from lifting weights. If it was that easy every guy you see in the gym would be jacked and female bodybuilders wouldnt need to take loads of steroids :smiley:

Thanks! Great information! :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

The bolded isn't necessarily true. You don't need to make your muscles bigger for better definition, you need to lower your BF%.

Do as is said above, eat at a deficit, and lift heavy, but you won't necessarily build strength (outside of some noob gains), what you'll do is maintain muscle. In a deficit we lose water, fat, and muscle. In order to limit the muscle loss, heavy lifting and protein is recommended so we lose mainly water and fat. By losing mainly water and fat while Maintaining muscle, we uncover that maintained muscle by lowering our BF%, giving us better muscle definition or "tone".

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    The 20 minute of cardio 5 timea a week would only be about 500 calories burned additonal during thr wwek unless working out a a pretty intense level.

• MichaelaSenft
    MichaelaSenft Posts: 24 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »

The bolded isn't necessarily true. You don't need to make your muscles bigger for better definition, you need to lower your BF%.

Do as is said above, eat at a deficit, and lift heavy, but you won't necessarily build strength (outside of some noob gains), what you'll do is maintain muscle. In a deficit we lose water, fat, and muscle. In order to limit the muscle loss, heavy lifting and protein is recommended so we lose mainly water and fat. By losing mainly water and fat while Maintaining muscle, we uncover that maintained muscle by lowering our BF%, giving us better muscle definition or "tone".

Ok I’m also having this problem. I do cardio 3/4 times a week and lift 3. I had not exercised in years. I’ve actually gained 2 pounds. I’m eating at a deficit...but how much muscle can a “noob” gain in a month? I can see obvious muscle gains in my thighs and butt (it was a pancake before) so I’m hoping it’s just muscle gain but it still bothers me that there is no scale loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited April 2016

Ok I’m also having this problem. I do cardio 3/4 times a week and lift 3. I had not exercised in years. I’ve actually gained 2 pounds. I’m eating at a deficit...but how much muscle can a “noob” gain in a month? I can see obvious muscle gains in my thighs and butt (it was a pancake before) so I’m hoping it’s just muscle gain but it still bothers me that there is no scale loss.

It's normal for you to retain water when you start a new exercise program. This usually comes off in a few weeks. You certainly did not gain two pounds of muscle in a month.

(Does someone have the link to how much muscle men and women can gain in a month under optimum circumstances?)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It's normal for you to retain water when you start a new exercise program. This usually comes off in a few weeks. You certainly did not gain two pounds of muscle in a month.

(Does someone have the link to how much muscle men and women can gain in a month under optimum circumstances?)

Yep, what she said. Have you taken measurements to indicate you're actually gaining muscle, even then the water retention can make you "swolen" for a short time.
  • MichaelaSenft
    MichaelaSenft Posts: 24 Member
    I have not taken measurements...I don't have a measuring tape lol but I'll get one!