Stuck for weeks at this weight

Options

Replies

• mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    If I type *kitten* why does it switch to kitten? In the preview it says B I t c h not kitten WTF
  • HealthSculptures
    HealthSculptures Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you tried High Intensity Interval Training ? It helps breaking the plateau
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Well if the nutritional info is on the container and I have half of the item why do I need to weigh it? I usually do the walk 3 minutes at 4mph then run 1-2min at 5.2 mph so I am doin g some of that ...Same with spinning sometimes it's a slow hill with resistance sometimes it's a fast sprint making up intervals of my. 40-55 minute workout.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    I can't wrap my head around that...I lost weight before and never weighed a thing.if the cereal box days bran flakes 3/4 cup I measure 3/4 cup....why weigh something that has nutritional values given to me as cups, tablespoons, 3 cookies, one slice,of bread?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    mom23nuts wrote: »
    I can't wrap my head around that...I lost weight before and never weighed a thing.if the cereal box days bran flakes 3/4 cup I measure 3/4 cup....why weigh something that has nutritional values given to me as cups, tablespoons, 3 cookies, one slice,of bread?

Because labeled nutrition info isn't 100% exact. Companies are allowed a certain percentage in difference. Weighed 3 cookies (chips ahoy) and they were all different weights. A generic medium banana is 100 calories I think. Most of mine, I consider to be medium and they've routinely been 120 cals and up once weighed and logged. Those little differences add up over the course of a day
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This video is very interesting and shows how easy it is to underestimate caloric intake by eyeballing/not weighing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying weight watchers because you shouldn't have to weigh every morsel or never go out to eat because you can't accurately estimate the weight, calories, ingredients or fat, carbs, sugars, proteins etc.

You shouldn't have to become the girl in a bubble making this a science experiment to get results and become a anal retentive bonkers nutcase over this.

She it starts getting ti that level with no results, it's almost natural to throw in the towel and just live without all of these restrictions with no payback or payoff or rewards....ugh

If you did Weight Watchers you would still have to weigh your food to know how much you are eating and how many Points equal how much you are eating. If you go to any Weight Watchers location they have products they sell and one of them is a food scale. And honestly, going out to eat while doing Weight Watchers is a lot more difficult. A lot of restaurants will give the calorie count for their menu items but not the rest of the information you would need to calculate the Points value.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Because most people don't use a food scale and the manufacturers are providing the closest volume measurement to what the weight is (you'll notice they also provide the weight 99% of the time). It's the same as baking in the US, we use volume for dry ingredients rather than the much more precise weight.

Try an experiment with a few of your foods: take oatmeal. Measure out whatever the serving is on the container - let's say quaker Oats. On the package you see 1/2 cup dry (40 g) is one serving. Measure out your 1/2 cup, then weight that serving to see if they match. Most of the time, you will find they differ. Using a volume measurement for a solid is greatly inaccurate. You could possibly be adding hundreds of calories per day just by this.

It's wonderfully demonstrated here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TGcdyfDM3oQ

EDIT: I see a number of other people posted this same info at the same time :)
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Because I've weighed things that I've measured out and the measurements are almost ALWAYS off in the wrong way.

For example: Cereal. My box of cereal says that 56g should be about 2/3 a cup. I have weighed things out and 56g ends up being 1/3 or 1/2 a cup. So by using 2/3 of a cup, you are actually getting 90g instead of 56g. Since my cereal is 210 calories per serving (56g), the measuring cup being off means that you end up having 337.5 calories instead of 210. That's more than a hundred off.

I also notice that you come in pretty close at the end of the day when you total up your calories. If you're eating back your exercise calories, that could definitely cause problems. I try to have at least 100-200 left over, if not more, to account for any discrepancies in underestimating food or overestimating calories burned.

It's a very fine balance that takes some tuning.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    I was always told to eat back most of those calories you earned since mfp sets a deficit when you set things up if how active you are and how much you would like to lose a week

See this is just contradictions and confusion
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    Ugh...this is just frustrating. I think I am just going to give up just to not have this headache anymore. This is worse than having another full time job
  • AmandaOmega
    Options
    I was always told to eat back most of those calories you earned since mfp sets a deficit when you set things up if how active you are and how much you would like to lose a week

Eating back calories would be fine assuming that you are 100% accurate on how many calories you burned and how much you eat. Since you do not weigh your food, I am certain you are not 100% accurate in how much you are consuming. Also, it is impossible to be 100% accurate with your exercise. By assuming that you are going to be inaccurate, and giving yourself some wiggle room instead of trying to eat most all of your daily allowance of calories, you are going to see better results.

If you don't believe me, then just try it for a week or two. Buy a food scale, weigh out your food. Also, don't use MFP to count calories. If it doesn't have a label, don't eat it (fruit and veggies excluded since raw items are pretty standard in calories). Make sure you are logging accurately. Then if you think we're all full of it, and you are actually eating what you think you are eating (and what you're logging), no harm no foul.

Also try to come in with 200 spare calories at the end of the day.

If that doesn't help, then either we're all wrong or you may want to go to your doctor.
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    So lets say I make my family a salad I have to weigh out every tomato every pepper ever portion of lettuce every cucumber slice then effing pick it all to bits and reweigh it when I put my portion in my individual bowl?

See...this is ludicrous! Plus by the time I figured all the math I would too pissed to eat that damn salad.
    Omg am I the only one who sees that things should not be this anal and scientific? Salad is healthy....but after all that prep and math and science, that salad is a NIGHTMARE!
  • mom23nuts
    Options
    I have gone to the Dr. I have PCOS. Making weight loss extremely difficult.

Eating back calories would be fine assuming that you are 100% accurate on how many calories you burned and how much you eat. Since you do not weigh your food, I am certain you are not 100% accurate in how much you are consuming. Also, it is impossible to be 100% accurate with your exercise. By assuming that you are going to be inaccurate, and giving yourself some wiggle room instead of trying to eat most all of your daily allowance of calories, you are going to see better results.

If you don't believe me, then just try it for a week or two. Buy a food scale, weigh out your food. Also, don't use MFP to count calories. If it doesn't have a label, don't eat it (fruit and veggies excluded since raw items are pretty standard in calories). Make sure you are logging accurately. Then if you think we're all full of it, and you are actually eating what you think you are eating (and what you're logging), no harm no foul.

Also try to come in with 200 spare calories at the end of the day.

If that doesn't help, then either we're all wrong or you may want to go to your doctor.

• AmandaOmega
    Options
    So lets say I make my family a salad I have to weigh out every tomato every pepper ever portion of lettuce every cucumber slice then effing pick it all to bits and reweigh it when I put my portion in my individual bowl?

See...this is ludicrous! Plus by the time I figured all the math I would too pissed to eat that damn salad.
    Omg am I the only one who sees that things should not be this anal and scientific? Salad is healthy....but after all that prep and math and science, that salad is a NIGHTMARE!

For things like this, I enjoy using MFP's recipe designer. You can put in how much lettuce you use, how many tomatoes, etc, and what your portion size is meant to be (Is it for just one person? Four people?). And also, Salad is not what I'm worried about (aside from dressings). As pointed out in some of the video's higher calorie foods, like oatmeal, cereal, etc, can really add up if you're off even by 10-20 grams. The one video that showed identical looking meals had a difference of 1700 calories and 2900. Just in regards to how much butter is used, how much peanut butter, the amount of chips, etc.

Just some thoughts. I'm not trying to discourage, just offer some advice and insight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    OP, you can use the recipe tool if you are cooking a big dish for the family.

Using the food scale is a pain in the kitten for a couple of weeks, but just like anything else you do in life, it gets easier and easier until it becomes second nature. I don't even have to think about it anymore.

Honestly, you have to decide if losing the weight is worth some aggravation to learn how to use this tool effectively. There are thousands of people here who have done just that, and most of us are busy people with families who are not math geniuses. Best of luck.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, somebody's gotta say it, so I will...

Looking at the last several days of your diary, it doesn't look like you are weighing your portions. 1/2 a turnover, one large banana, half a cup of rice. If you aren't weighing your portions most of the time, you could be eating several hundred calories more than you think.

You don't have to never eat out, but you at least should try weighing everything you have at home so you limit how much you might be off. Many folks only have to use the food scale for a period of time until they get the weight loss ball rolling and get a better eye for what a serving looks like, then they can do without until they start not losing again. I was doing great for awhile, then the weight loss stopped, so I got back into the habit of using the scale and got back on track. Just something to think about.

If you eat all your exercise calories back, it's possible that your HRM is overestimating a bit, so you could try only eating back half. Not sure if you are or not though.

There are words you aren't allowed to use here, the system replaces them with "kitten" when you hit "post".

^^^^This. Also, I have been dying to know why everyone says kitten. Thank you for explaining it. :)