Heel pain?

Options
JMCade
JMCade Posts: 389 Member
I started running a couple of months ago. I've completed three 5k races now. I bought good running shoes-asics nimbus- and I love them. HOWEVER, a week ago my left heel started hurting. Feels like I landed on my heel real hard and feels bruised. I can't see anything wrongthough. I've been taking Aleve and ibuprofen to no avail though. It won't stop hurting. My friends told me it could be bone spurs. How in the world do you get that? What are they? What do you do to take care of it? What causes them?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It could be bone spurs, although it's more likely the start of plantar fasciitis-especially if you wear shoes with little support or padding in your non-running time. If you google plantar fasciitis, you'll find all sorts of home remedies.
  • pamt17
    pamt17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep I agree that it sounds like PF. I too got the same thing last year after working out too many lunges and wearing flat summer sandals. You really need to get it checked as soon as possible as mine lasted 8 months.
  • dandi1
    dandi1 Posts: 10
    Options
    After about a month of very brisk walking I started doing some running with my walks. Wow....left heel pain, big time. It did not hurt so much when I was exercising but extremely painful at the end of the day. I was fitted with new walking/running shoes and new inserts, pain still with me. I have been diagnosed with plantars factiious (sp) and given some exercise and stretches for my left heel but so far no help. Rolling my foot back and forth over a frozen bottle of water seems to provide the most instant relief but as I understand it is time and rest that will be the healer. Good luck, let me know if you find out some majic cure.
  • KyleGA
    KyleGA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I had a similiar experience and turned out to be my non-running shoes. Early this Spring I had the same problem and after looking back figured out what had changed. I started wearing flip flops all the time, no support at all. I did a switch to wearing more supportive shoes and within a week or so the pain went away. I wear flip flops from time to time now, but not too often...as affraid to get this pain back.

I hope it's something as easy as that...would hate for it to be something more serious.

ttfn
    Kyle
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I agree - PF. I have the same problem. Try more substantial arch supports. Did you buy the running shoes from a running store? (They'll watch you walk and choose a level of support for the sneaker's footbed). As far as replacing my default footbeds, I like the green superfeet (none of the other one's I've tried seem to have enough of an arch for me)..unfortunately they're fairly hard so I wouldn't recommend them for running (or in workboots on concrete w/out an extra padding layer).

In the morning, try rolling your foot around on a tennis ball. I also love this: http://www.footsmart.com/P-Step-Stretch-10094.aspx to stretch my achilles/PF and legs in the morning.
  • RebeccaIngham
    RebeccaIngham Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good advice all around! I'd also consider, how many miles do you think you've put on those shoes? You should replace them after around 500 miles (this includes if you are even wearing them for just every day use). I realized this last summer when I ran a 20K for the first time and had a terrible time with my right foot especially. Kind of scared me off of running for awhile too. Once I got some good, new shoes, I could run with no problem. Thinking it's time to replace them again, because my right foot is hurting again and pain is going up my leg too.

Also, my chiropractor has been a big help in this area. She does a couple of things to my feet and especially last summer when it was really bad and I'd be limping into the office, she'd do the adjustments and I could walk out normally! Happy to say that I have an appointment with her tomorrow and hope she can put me back together again :)

And as much as I love flip flops, that seems to aggravate it most of the time, which I'm sure is part of my deal right now too.

Hope some of this helps! <3
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Check out a website called heelthatpain.com. I know at least 2 people with PF, one has tried physician + physical therapy, the other has tried surgery. Neither one has gotten more relief than I have by using the methods on the website and wearing their inexpensive hee insert.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I had similar pain last Fall - tried lot's of home remedies - Finally went to a sports medicine clinic in January for a cortizone shot and bought new shoes. The problem resolved within three weeks. Wish I hadn't waited to see the podiatrist because it is no fun. Lot's of good advice here.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Dealing with the same as everyone right now. Left heel, but I'm extremely flat footed. Have used a heel cup for cushioning, have done the ibuprofen, ice, etc. Still limited relief.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I checked out all the suggested sites and started trying the stretches. The running shoes I have, I got at the end of May, so they are only a month old. I added up my miles on my runkeeper and I have only ran 92 miles.