A question for the ladies!!!

Options
Seriously. Men need not read.

How do you stay motivated to eat healthy and exercise during your cycle? It seems that it is always the time that I fall off the health wagon. Any advice is welcome.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have found that I may feel extra hungry 1-2 days and eat at maintenance level.
    I can at minimum walk most days for exercise.
    Other than that I proceed pretty normally.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I always plan my days in advance, and I think that really helps at TOTM because I'm used to sticking to my plans like that. I also add more sweets into my plan because I know me lol. As for exercise, I find it actually helps with my lower back being sore. It's hard to start, but once I get going, I realize that I feel better exercising than sitting still. Knowing that motivates me to go since I know I'll feel better
  • mndimichele
    mndimichele Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is have a plan. If you have already planned out what you are going to eat each day, then you wont tend to wonder what else you could fit into your diet. There is nothing wrong with giving yourself a treat once in a while. Just remember to stick to the plan and things will workout. If you crave chocolate like I do during this time, I try to make sure I am not eating a king size candy bar, instead I buy the skinny cow candy bars. It all ends up being about moderation.
  • kenziberry
    kenziberry Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I found that used to be a struggle for me as well. What I have found works for me, as I am getting better with meal prepping on Sunday night for the week, I ABSOLUTELY make sure that I meal prep before the grand entrance made by Aunt Flow.
    Even if I don't prep for the week I make sure those lovely 4 days are always prepped so I can stay on track. That is the time I most obviously crave dark chocolate and salt and vinegar chips ( I do not deny myself). I make sure that I have those 2 very specific things in the house (obviously keep your favorites in the house if you feel necessary) and I allow myself to eat 1 portion (absolutely no more than 1 portion) on 2 of my 4 cycle days.

That way I am not completely deprived when my cravings hit, but I can still manage to keep my eating in check.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a bit more during shark week, but I try to make sure I dont go above maintanence at least. Starving myself during my period is just gonna make me succumb to something bad like binging, so I try to eat filling things and not stress if I go over my allowance a little. As far as exercise, sometimes the exercise actually makes me a feel a lot better, lessens my symptoms, so I keep reminding myself of that to motivate myself.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am more hungry during my cycle and I do eat more (usually 300-400 cals more) but I stay within a deficit because I exercise. But I notice I cramp less and bloat less now since starting my journey :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I don't notice a difference.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I give myself a bit of a break. And I don't work out my first day of my period (that day is for pampering! So a bath, a glass of wine etc. Not for pushing my body). As for food, I'll maybe have some dark chocolate, but I usually find that's ok anyways.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    hstoblish wrote: »
    I give myself a bit of a break. And I don't work out my first day of my period (that day is for pampering! So a bath, a glass of wine etc. Not for pushing my body). As for food, I'll maybe have some dark chocolate, but I usually find that's ok anyways.

About this also, eat whatever I feel i want for first day as I generally feel poo! Also I give myself a break on not exercising if I'm not feeling it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I live with Advil and Tylenol for a few days. Once they kick in, it's not difference for me. There are a couple days when I'm really bloated and it can be uncomfortable to do much though, but otherwise, same exercise regimen as usual.

My appetite goes way down after the second day though so it's not really an issue for me (the week before sucks though).
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Back when I had a cycle, lol, I found that exercise during the first couple of days helped a TON. It made things much less painful and I think made things last shorter.

But I would eat my own arm if I could.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I exercise with no problem but I have to have my chocolate (may just be a mind thing) and my appetite increases for the first two days. I haven't had any problems with my weight loss.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Someone awhile back posted an AWESOME post about why your body needs more calories when your menstruating, and why you're hungrier. I figure, two days out of the month to help my body through a rough time (I have hell periods) isn't going to knock me off my goals, and I try to get in extra exercise before and after to make up for a couple slices of pizza and some ice cream.
  • bluebkoda
    bluebkoda Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The week of arts and crafts at panty camp :D is the worst for me because i feel ugly and bloated and think "whats the point of it all" while watching Princess Bride and eating Nutella with a spoon. I honestly try not to be too hard on myself on the exercise front. I walk instead of run, I keep the weights lighter and if my lower back hurts I rest it. I try and cook healthier chocolate treats keeping calories and sugar in mind.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I am on the pill which I think levels out a lot of the hormones that might lead to being extra hungry. I may be emotionally more vulnerable and susceptible to going and buying a pint of Ben and Jerry's, but I grocery shop with my husband and that helps prevent emotional grocery purchases.

I will continue exercise while on my period because it helps me reduce cramping and I do feel better once I'm done. Maybe I will need an extra snack every day but I will make sure it's a decent granola bar or something similar to keep my overall calories in check.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I usually had more success with control when I increased carbs. I'd still stay within my calories but my carb intake was usually the bulk of my food. It helped control my mood mostly, as I had borderline PMDD, but it also controlled my cravings.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I quit using my cycle as an excuse.

I also eat at maintenance sometimes.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Eat a bit more if you need to. No big deal.

P.s., men know that women have periods.

Seriously just laughed out loud at this-my husband is working from home today and he knew with minutes of being around me today that tom started-I turn into a bit of a dragon the first day :p

And I agree, I always have a lot of hunger /sugar cravings the day before tom starts and I allow myself to eat more calorie that one day. The few hundred I go over doesn't really matter in the scheme of things and it makes things more bearable. I do still track my intake though and I still make mindful choices (2 servings of cookies vs a whole pkg lol).
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Before I started my weight loss journey the time of the month was another excuse to eat lots of crap food and not care so I thought I would struggle but I didn't at all.i didn't even fancy it and I found that apart from swimming I could still do my normal exercise routine