Strength training at home with only 1 dumbbell? Help!

Options
At our apartment we have a 35lb dumbbell, and I was wondering if it'd be a waste of time doing exercises with it. I say this because, what happens when 35lbs isn't challenging anymore, will I make noticeable gains? Buying anything is out of the question right now, I used to lift religiously at a gym but unfortunately got in a bad financial situation.

Also, what kind of exercises could I do with 1 weight? I'm just looking to train the basic areas; legs, chest, back, arms. My goal is to lose with a calorie deficit and I run 20-30 minutes(2-3miles) about 5 times a week. Would training my legs make running easier in any way?

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Look into body weight exercises. They are much more challenging than they look!

With your 35 lb dumb bell you could do sumo squats, split lunges (hold the weight in one hand, do a set, then switch) and probably several others although I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Hopefully the others here will have some better suggestions!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Use it like a kettlebell? Not sure, where's the second lol?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Don't see why you couldn't do ALL dumb bell exercises, just one arm at a time. You could, also hold the dumb bell with both hands, at each end, and do those exercises (effectively cuts the 35#s in half for each arm). Hold the dumb bell in on hand and do a farmers walk. Turn around and hold the weight in the other hand., Goblet squats, lunges (weight in one or both hands). Yep, don't see any limitations. Once you "out grow" the 35, you'll have to make a decision on purchasing. I like the Power Block adjustable dumb bells. I've been advised that "leg day" is important for runners, and I agree.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I too wondered what happened to the other dumb bell. I thought of another one though: hold it at chest level and do squats.

As far as progressing I'm not sure what to suggest other than see if anyone has weights they are willing to give away or need to get rid of.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This is what I use a single 35 lb weight for: Goblet squats. Single arm push presses. Single leg Romanian deadlifts. Single arm rows or bent over rows. Glute bridges. There are a lot more but these are my favorites. It might not be the best thing for say lateral raises.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would look into body weight stuff personally. I do a lot of dumbbell work and I require various weights for various lifts...for example, a 35 dumbbell used for a goblet squat would do next to nothing for me because it would just be easy...it's a decent weight though if I'm doing, say, high volume OH press or something. Also, you're going to outgrow it very quickly.
  • ceilingfansandfryingpans
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would look into body weight stuff personally. I do a lot of dumbbell work and I require various weights for various lifts...for example, a 35 dumbbell used for a goblet squat would do next to nothing for me because it would just be easy...it's a decent weight though if I'm doing, say, high volume OH press or something. Also, you're going to outgrow it very quickly.

You're a guy whose been lifting for a long time. She's a 19 year old woman so I am assuming that it would still be a decent weight for the lifts I listed. BW squats are great, but BW+35 lbs are even better. I do both to change it up, and am probably at a point where I could do 40 or 50 lbs but haven't stolen the heavier weights from my BIL yet. :) And 35 lbs is waaaay too easy for glute bridges, but it's better than a kick in the pants.

If she's so ripped that 35 lb squats (to horizontal or better!) aren't a challenge, she can do one armed DB snatches and clean-and-press--more dynamic lifts, however, I personally had to work to using a 35 lb weight for those moves and build up a strong core. Then there are things like triceps extensions where it is still much too heavy for me. So she needs to use good sense as to what is appropriate and be rigorous about form, but there are quite a few lifts where 35 lbs can keep her busy for a month or longer, till she is at a point where she wants to pay $1 a lb for the weights she needs (based on a recent shopping excursion to Dick's).
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Tricep extensions
    Single arm shoulder presses

Push-ups
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One arm kettlebell swing