Peanut butter

Options
So ive been told im not eating enough protien and some suggested eating peanut butter. Well is it really worth 4 grams of protien for nearly 100 cals???

Also what would i eat it with? As i have no idea as it is something i dont usually buy i dont eat it.

Replies

• arnoldnagy
    arnoldnagy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Greek style yogurt has up to 13 grams of protein for only 130-150 calories.

~Arny
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    While peanut butter is awesome and is a good source of fat and protein. There are better sources of protein with far less fat and carbs. Chicken, tuna, turkey, lean red meat, Greek Yogurt, etc. You really have to balance your fat and carbs well in order to work much peanut butter into your diet. I personally will blend it into protein powder, stir it into Greek Yogurt, or put it on a whole wheat wrap with a few berries. If you get the "natural" brand of peanut butter it has a much more liquid consistency allowing it to blend, mix, stir far more easily.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think lean meat or fish is a better source of protein than peanut butter. For example, four ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breast has 110 calories and 23 grams of protein
  • sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So ive been looking at Tesco online where i get my shopping delivered from and the greek yoghurt is high in fat and sugars. is it best to eat these yoghuts rather than the low fat ones ive been eating already?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter on apples or with a slice of whole grain toast. You can also stick it on celery and its pretty good.
  • lukeleia4
    lukeleia4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's worth the 100 calories because it makes you feel full longer. It's good on whole wheat toast, dip apple slices in it, dip pretzels in it. Americans put it on everything.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter (any nut butter) is a slippery slope. The type you buy is important or you can take something fairly nutritious and make it junk food. It should have one or two ingredients only: nuts, or nuts and salt. There's no need for added sugars or fake fats or additional fats--that's when it becomes junk food!

I'd agree with you that it's a relatively poor way to get protein into your diet, although nuts and their butters are good sources of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals and the fats will help with satiety.

Nut butters are great in moderation (a serving is 2T; a serving of nuts is 1 oz) and work well with fruits, yogurts, in smoothies or as a spread on a high fiber, whole grain bread product (including toast or waffles).

But if you're really in search of more protein, low or non-fat dairy, lean meats, eggs and soy or bean products will give you more protein per serving for fewer calories and less fat.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You can also do the almond butter which has the omega 3 in it so you get more out of it. To me it really tastes the same as peanut butter.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Oats and wholewheat pasta are pretty good for protein. I make seitan sausages from vital wheat gluten and cannellini beans, and those can have up to 20g for under 150cals. Whole proteins, too. You could also try flaxseed; that's quite fatty, but it's all good fats and whole proteins (which peanuts lack).

Homemade baked beans can be fairly proteiny too; add flaxseed and use butterbeans, and you can get 5g for under 100 calories.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    So ive been looking at Tesco online where i get my shopping delivered from and the greek yoghurt is high in fat and sugars. is it best to eat these yoghuts rather than the low fat ones ive been eating already?

0% greek yogurt or 2% greek yogurt isn't high in sugars and the fat is good fats. Don't look at the ones that come with fruit. Add your own fresh berries.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

If you get the plain, non-fat greek yogurt it will not be high in fat and will be considerably lower in sugar than the flavored varieties. If it's plain, all the sugar is coming from the milk and not anything to be overly worried about unless you are trying to stay super-low-carb.

I have at least 3 servings of dairy a day and my carbs are generally around 100g per day.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Also, it may be worth checking the nutrients given for your foods, as you may be getting more protein than you think. There's no way that a chicken and vegetable soup would have no protein, for instance.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    So ive been told im not eating enough protien and some suggested eating peanut butter. Well is it really worth 4 grams of protien for nearly 100 cals???

Also what would i eat it with? As i have no idea as it is something i dont usually buy i dont eat it.

out of the jar works for me
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    You can also do the almond butter which has the omega 3 in it so you get more out of it. To me it really tastes the same as peanut butter.

it does not taste the same to me, but taste damn good in its own, ofcourse my all time favorite nuts are almonds
  • FairyMiss
    Options

thanks for the link been think of getting this for the purpose of mixing in my protien shakes instead of buyint two diffrent flavors
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    try PB2 if you are a peanut butter lover... it comes in chocolate too and is super yummy
  • meinco
    meinco Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I grind my own butters at my local Whole Foods....all that is in the container is ground nuts! I highly recommend the almond butter and pecan butter (pricey but a great treat)!

I find that I usually only work the butter into my diet if it's near the end of the day, I am still under calories and am craving a little something. I will measure out one tablespoon of butter (about 100 calories) and 1/2 cup of 2% milk and enjoy a nice late snack. Not only does it give me some needed protein it REALLY fills me up and hits the spot!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    For a quick breakfast I toast a piece of whole wheat bread, spread a tablespoon of PB on it and slice up a banana and put it on top...yum!
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options

Nickiog- I love your ticker!! :-)