Always low on Potassium!!

Options
iammelli
iammelli Posts: 42 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I'm always way way under on my Potassium , I don't eat bananas, what can I eat that I can boost it with?!

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened light soy milk for potassium. Coconut water is good, too.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, and sweet potatoes, dark leafy greens and avocados. Also tomatoes are good sources of potassium if you're not a banana fan.
  • ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Beets and potatoes are very high in potassium.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Food labels don't always list potassium. You're probably getting enough. I learned that fish can be a good source.
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic everyone thankyou! I drink coconut water and unsweetened soy,have lots of tomatoes, sweet potatoes and leafy greens, these damn macros they make you mad haha!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    iammelli wrote: »
    I'm always way way under on my Potassium , I don't eat bananas, what can I eat that I can boost it with?!

Keep in mind that potassium is not a requirement on food labels and since that's what is used to enter most foods into the database, there are a whole host of foods that actually have potassium, but it doesn't show up as such.

If you're eating a lot of whole foods and eating your fruits and veg, you're likely fine.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I agree with cwolfman13. Potassium is not required on food labels, so the potassium estimates you see on MFP are most certainly low/inaccurate. Having said that, if you're having trouble with sodium (I certainly do eat to much) extra potassium can't hurt. Problem is you can't get it safely from vitamins (they are only 99mg each). So best way to get it is with:

Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes (watch the carbs!)
    Spinach or other leafy greens (this is probably one of the best methods)
    Bananas, other fruits, or coconut water.

Keep in mind, most meats have potassium because the animal you're eating has potassium in their system. Many microwave meals, even the "fit" ones on the market list 0 potassium which means they simply didn't measure it. I take a multivitamin each day and 1 potassium vitamin (again.. only 99mg) with it, but I try to eat a potato, sweet potato, or leafy greens frequently with meals to compensate. Coconut water, in my opinion, is expensive and most of it is full of sugar and other crap, so it's hard to find a good quality "pure" coconut water, but I've heard it's really good for potassium.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lite Salt is half salt half potassium. My go to choice.
  • starrcoward
    starrcoward Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, raisins and orange juice are good sources of potassium
  • KimBedard11
    KimBedard11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach is loaded with it !
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits...and veggies like Swiss chard
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with the skin is my favorite delicious way!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yep I agree with the comments about potassium on food labels.. especially with myfitnesspal food logger. Most people reach a their potassium level if they are eating a wide range of foods.. If not, you can get supplements, but they don't go above 100mg due to government restrictions.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had a potassium deficiency and the doctor tried to tell me to drink Gatorade to boost my levels. Most sports drinks have 35-50 mg. of potassium per serving, Gatorade included. Low-sodium V-8 has 480 mg per serving because not only are the vegetables in it fairly rich in potassium, but also it is flavored with potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride.