Eating back calories

Options
I've recently upped my workouts and now I'm strength training as well as cardio about 5x a week. I've been eating back at least half of my workout calories and I've actually gained a couple lbs. I don't have much weight to lose... But I would like to be about 10 lbs lighter and toned. So I decided to stop eating back exercise calories and eat 1450 cals/day since that's what worked for me before. Problem is I'm hungry all the time especially after an intense workout. What should I do?

Replies

• Jcimon
    Jcimon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    gfoxeus wrote: »
    I've recently upped my workouts and now I'm strength training as well as cardio about 5x a week. I've been eating back at least half of my workout calories and I've actually gained a couple lbs. I don't have much weight to lose... But I would like to be about 10 lbs lighter and toned. So I decided to stop eating back exercise calories and eat 1450 cals/day since that's what worked for me before. Problem is I'm hungry all the time especially after an intense workout. What should I do?

I started having a lean protein shake after my workout. I use skim milk. Super filling, but I also work out later in the day. It is just enough to satisfy thst hungry post workout feeling.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Restricting calories so that you're hungry all of the time is a recipe for failure(no pun intended) If you don't want to eat back calories (that way doesn't work well for me) use a TDEE calculator, get an accurate accounting of calories then eat a set amount of calories/day. This might work better and keep you from being too hungry. Here are some TDEE calculators:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    https://tdeecalculator.net/
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

You will notice that the above calculators will give you different amounts and all of them are a lot higher than MFP. That's because the deficit is already factored into MFP.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    First, don't flip out over a couple of pounds. That's a quart of water in weight and you could retain that much pretty easily day to day. I'd suggest eating veggies and foods higher in fiber if you are hungry all the time, they will help keep you full longer and the calories in veggies are very low.
  • gfoxeus
    gfoxeus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First, don't flip out over a couple of pounds. That's a quart of water in weight and you could retain that much pretty easily day to day. I'd suggest eating veggies and foods higher in fiber if you are hungry all the time, they will help keep you full longer and the calories in veggies are very low.

I wondered if it was water weight but the scale kept going up and finally settled at the same number for the last month or so. Could I possibly be gaining muscle since I'm doing more strength training now?

• gfoxeus
    gfoxeus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I literally woke up in the middle of the night last night and was so hungry I couldn't sleep. I don't want to be hangry!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    have a non-fat greek yogurt or non-fat protein shake right before bed and another one when you get hungry throughout the day. building muscle takes fuel and building blocks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Starting from this week I'm going to stop eating back exercise calories (fitbit), as my weight loss has pretty much stopped! I only have a few lbs left to go, and this is my last option..