weighing yourself

Options
How often should you weigh yourself? I just bought my first scale and have been excited to weigh myself but would you recommend weekly? Or - More often or less

Replies

• lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think it's completely a personal preference. I typically look at my weekly trend (say Monday-Monday), but I do weigh daily. If you choose to weigh daily--don't get freaked out by daily fluctuations that can easily occur...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    As often as you want.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I used to weigh myself on Sunday's and sometimes on Wednesday, the last two weeks I've been weighing daily and putting it into WeightGrapher to see a trend.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log into HappyScale app to figure out the trends.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference. I weigh daily. But if the daily fluctuations bother you then weekly or monthly might be better. I would find weekly discouraging because sometimes it looks like I haven't lost or even gained a little if I look at one week ago, but since I weigh daily I see that even though my weight goes up and down it is trending downward on a graph. Plus if I am up a little one day I can see that maybe I had too much sodium the day before and I can make adjustments. Of course as a woman there will be certain times during the month that I will retain water and there is nothing I can do about it. If I were to only weigh on Monday then yesterday I would have seen that I was down .6 pound which I would be happy about. If I were weighing on Tuesday then today I would see that I was see that I was up .6 pound and I would probably be upset. But I can look at my trend and know that my weight is in fact going down.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want to, but do it at the same time of day when you do weigh yourself. Most people do it first thing in the AM, and keep it consistent. So if you want to weigh weekly, cool. I would just recommend that you do it at the same time of day so you can get some consistency in your readings.

Other than that, its totally your choice!
  • hoffmierr
    hoffmierr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone :-)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    As a lifetime member, I only weigh in once a month at weight watchers.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning, because I like to see patterns for things like water retention. I know it can spike up several pounds in one day, and it doesn't bother me. I only log losses, though.
  • Rockchick09
    Rockchick09 Posts: 200 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I had a scale I used it daily.. Turns out I was doing it wrong. It's much better to use the mirror, you're clothes and a measurement tape to track the fat loss.

Don't be to focused on you're weight or when to weight in, you'll gain muscles and loose fat but muscles are heavier :D
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i weigh daily about an hour after i get up, but i also sometimes weigh at other times to see how things like workouts affect my body.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Weekly, first thing in the AM, nude, after going to the can.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and plug numbers into happy scale. It shows your trend weight so even if you occasionally have an increase in weight it still shows your downward trend:)
  • CajunCher2005
    CajunCher2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning, because I like to see patterns for things like water retention. I know it can spike up several pounds in one day, and it doesn't bother me. I only log losses, though.

Exactly what I do.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and plug numbers into happy scale. It shows your trend weight so even if you occasionally have an increase in weight it still shows your downward trend:)

Yup, me too - the dots are actual weight, fluctuating day to day, the line shows the trend which is going in the right direction for me:

qkjia5vmlfr6.png
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Personally it depends on you. Me, i know weight loss is slow and steady but i do it everyday that way if i see ive gone up then i know to try harder.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, except for the week I'm on my period, those days I pretend that I don't own a scale.
  • mtolose1
    mtolose1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sooo i used to weigh myself daily, and sometimes twice a day. Why? I dont know. Thwn i started getting discouraged as the scale wouldnt move. So i do it once a week now, kind of as a reward thing. Seems silly right? But i work hard that whole week, so even if it changes half a pound thats a success for me. Ive noticed my body changing more than the scale, i say dont let it discourage you.
    Good luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its a personal choice - some people like to weigh daily and chart that data on an app to see fluctuations.
    Others prefer to weigh less often.
    I'm a daily weigher, mostly because I know how my body works and how/when fluctuations happen.
    If you can't take seeing the ups and downs of natural fluctuations then daily weighing is not for you.