Green tea or black tea?

Options
Which one is better for you? Has more antioxidants?

Replies

• martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I prefer green you drink it without milk. I have a feeling green is better for you but both are very good antitoxidents.

martyxxx
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Both are excellent for us, but green tea makes the difference in antioxidants :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chartel
    chartel Posts: 16
    Options
    Green, white and black tea are actually all the same thing. White tea is picked very young and barely processed, green tea is picked a little later and lightly processed (usually steamed and rolled) and black tea is picked later still and slightly fermented.

Green and white have greater antioxidants because they are processed less, but all are way better for you than coffee.

Water temp matters with tea - green and white should be steeped at no more than 180 degrees F. or they get bitter and astringent. Black can be steeped in boiling water.
  • JamesGregory
    JamesGregory Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I did a recent search, I found Green Tea to be touted as somewhat better than Black. I also read where they say it is best to let the green tea leaves steep for at least ten minutes before drinking. This gives the tea leaf the chance to release the antioxidants it holds.
  • chartel
    Options
    Also if you want really good tea, buy it loose. Tea bags are basically floor sweepings in a bag.
  • chartel
    Options
    Egad-10 minutes? Yikes! That would be one bitter and cold cup of tea! For a first steeping of green, 2 minutes. For a secong steeping, 4 minutes, and a 3rd steeping of the same leaves, 6-8 minutes. I can't imagine the person who said 10 minutes has ever actually drunk a cup of tea!
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I prefer green tea simply because it makes me feel better. I seem to get this great natural energy from it. I have also noticed that when drinking green tea I don't get sick near as much as the people around me. =)
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Do you lose any of the antioxidants if you add Truvia or unsweetened almond milk?
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Green tea also has less caffeine than black tea.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I drink both. But don't add sugar to your green tea. PLEASE!
  • hardenedheartx
    hardenedheartx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love Green Tea! I don't add any milk or sugar to mine, though.
  • RebeccaIngham
    RebeccaIngham Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh man, really chartel? Just when I think I know everything.... :laugh:
    Guess I'll have to be finishing up my tea collection & start over. I do like to make it with loose tea, but still gravitate towards the bags for some reason.
    Also if you want really good tea, buy it loose. Tea bags are basically floor sweepings in a bag.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    One more question. What about decaffeinated? Is there still antioxidants in that?
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh man, really chartel? Just when I think I know everything.... :laugh:
    Guess I'll have to be finishing up my tea collection & start over. I do like to make it with loose tea, but still gravitate towards the bags for some reason.

Specialty tea stores and/or Asian stores (at least Japanese ones) sell empty tea bags. You fill up the bag with your loose leaf tea. They are a great way to make tea.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Egad-10 minutes? Yikes! That would be one bitter and cold cup of tea! For a first steeping of green, 2 minutes. For a secong steeping, 4 minutes, and a 3rd steeping of the same leaves, 6-8 minutes. I can't imagine the person who said 10 minutes has ever actually drunk a cup of tea!

Ah... a true tea connoisseur :drinker:

I drink black tea in the a.m. and then green or rooibus tea the rest of the day/evening.

[Buy loose leaves and store in airtight containers. Green tea leaves can be steeped a couple of times, but black tea leaves generally are only used once]
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    One more question. What about decaffeinated? Is there still antioxidants in that?

Absolutely
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    yorkshire tea
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good to know! I never knew any of those things about tea. I drink green tea, and steep for 3 minutes. I may have to experiment more now, though. :)
  • chartel
    Options
    Green and white teas have very little caffeine in them, so unless you are going to drink a gallon a day, getting them decaffeinated is a waste. Black tea has somewhat more, because it was allowed to mature on the stem for longer, but still only about 1/4 the caffeine of a cup of coffee.

Green and white teas are wonderfully subtle, and there are dozens of different varieties; each gives a different taste and mouthfeel. Though most come from China, India, and Japan, don't neglect Kenya - Amazing teas with a great earthiness that is not found in the others.

Enjoy!!!!!