running when your legs feel like they're going to give in

Schwiggity
Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I did my long run this morning, and hit my goal, but that last mile my legs felt like I could just stop and sit down on the sidewalk if I didn't keep pushing myself. I was trying new run nutrition, but I was using it just as consistently as the last time and I was plenty hydrated. Is it just a psychological block that I need to push through or is there any physiological reason this might have been happening? (I know this is a pretty broad/vague question, but any help would be appreciated).

Replies

• Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    It could be either. See how you feel next time.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    You may not be fully recovered from your last run. Or you may have been running a little too hard during your long run that you burned through your immediately available glycogen stores and your body didn't tap into the fat stores for energy.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    I felt the same way yesterday for my long run! I've been doing JM 30 DS in addition everyday so I'm thinking that could contribute to my legs feeling so tired??
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Long runs will cause pain. Pain makes you want to stop. There are often times I just want to lie down and go to sleep. If the pain is in your joints, you should ease up. If it's in the muscles, you can probably keep going for a bit. But make sure you rest at least until there's very little soreness in your muscles before going out again. While recovering, make sure you do some walking, no running though.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Not knowing anything about your training, you may want to consider if you've recently increased mileage or intensity. Are you taking adequate "rest days"? getting enough sleep? not running too big of a calorie deficit (e.g. are you eating back enough of your exercise calories)? Did you do anything unusual the previous couple of days where you spent a lot more time on your feet and/or walking than you usually do? Did you drink alcohol the night before?

Could be lots of factors... and you could have just had an off day. I would recommend taking a rest day and maybe do a little more cross-training activies and see if you come back energized.

good luck.
  • Schwiggity
    Training schedule since it was mentioned:

Monday - Full body weight lifting workout + 20-45 minutes cardio (running or elliptical HIIT)
    Tuesday - Speed intervals running 20-50 minutes
    Wednesday - Full body weight lifting workout + 20-45 cardio (running or elliptical HIIT)
    Thursday - Rest day or 30-45 minutes cardio (depends on how I feel)
    Friday - Full body weight lifting workout + 20-45 minutes cardio (running or elliptical HIIT)
    Saturday - Rest Day
    Sunday - Long run
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    bump
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Was your long run a LONG run? The point of the long run is to run you body down to moderate or severe fatigue, so you're doin it right.
  • Schwiggity
    Was your long run a LONG run? The point of the long run is to run you body down to moderate or severe fatigue, so you're doin it right.

It was 7.5 miles which is half a mile more than I did last week.
This discussion has been closed.