run or walk?!

sheils8
sheils8 Posts: 57
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
hello!

so i have a question.....what is better for fat loss, running or walking?

i (like most people i assume) thought running was better, after all it is harder! i have been running for a few months now.....between 3 and 6 miles at a time.

just last week i got a HRM and was so surprised to see i was not in the zone due to my heart rate being too high. even when i slowed down the run, it stayed up. is this bad? can you still lose weight and be out of the zone?

also yesterday i went for a walk (brisk walk), stayed in the zone the entire time and burned alot of calories.

so i am seriously wondering, which is better? or should i go back and forth between the two? i personally love running but i really want to lose weight and have been stuck at the same weight for a few weeks!

Replies

• mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    I wonder the same thing...my HRM always says I burn more walking than running, but running feels like I work harder.
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    You burn the same calories whether you run a mile or walk a mile; running you get it over with quicker, but since you're carrying the same weight the same distance, the burn is the same.

If you're going by time, say you have 30 minutes, you'll be able to (theoretically..I would person collapse and die, mostly from embarrassment) go further by running and thusly burn more calories, but going by distance... it's the same.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    I burn more calories running a mile than walking one. It has to do with your heart rate, and the bottom line is calories in - calories out.
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    I am a "power walker" and I lose weight quickly by walking 3 miles a day. When I run I hurt and always have to quit too soon to get in my distance.
  • I started at 430 on Feb 1, 2011 and I am now 360 and I don't run, I walk . ...

Increase the incline on the treadmill and you will burn lots more extra calories !
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Depends a lot on your fitness level. I personally prefer high intensity workouts for fat-loss but slower cardio has it's place as well especially if you aren't used to strenuous activity. If you are looking for something to do everyday you can always start by walking and then add short sprints building to longer sprints or do a run/jog. Running sprints every day will make you tired over time so you can mix it up a bit: maybe do one day of walk or slow jog, one day of sprints or near sprints followed by walking or slow jog and one day of brisk jog. The more you mix it up and keep it fresh the better you'll feel and the less your body will be able to adapt to the excercise.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    I would love to run, but my asthma and this 100+ degree weather in Louisiana is not my best friend. The gym on campus has an indoor track and I want to start jogging/running when school starts back up. It would seem like you burn more calories by running, but I was also wondering too if you lose weight by going over the "zone"?
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    but I was also wondering too if you lose weight by going over the "zone"?

Are you talking about that thing that they used to put in aerobics classes with the "fat-burning zone" charts? I'm pretty sure that's generally accepted as an oversimplification of reality these days. There is no "magic zone" for fat-loss AFAIK and everyone's metabolism is different. I do know that HITT cardio is very effective for some people (like myself) and it pretty much flies in the face of traditional "fat-burning zone" workouts.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

What Polar doesn't tell you in their little promotional blurb is that: A) the actual amount of fat burned during an exercise session is a tiny amount; B) when comparing a "fat burning workout" to a higher intensity workout, the difference is even tinier; C) research has shown conclusively that for the average person, the percentage of fat burned during a workout has NO effect on long-term stored body fat--if you burn more fat during a workout, you burn less the rest of the day and vice versa.

Any type of workout can burn calories and be effective--people should choose whatever they think is best for them. But that choice should be made using accurate information, and in the examples you cited, Polar is playing fast and loose with the facts and presenting a misleading picture.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    if you love running, then keep running. A runner is general fitter and builds more muscle than a walker, which in turn burns more calories even when not in use.

With running, often people find they dont lose as much weight as theyd like but they lose inches and tone up . It works soo many parts of the body.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    The advise I always give is to not focus on your calorie burn, but instead, focus on a fitness goal. So focus on running faster/longer, walking faster/longer, getting stronger, etc... And do the exercises that will support that goal, your calorie deficit will take care of your fat loss. 
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    I was a runner for a long time and was able to keep my weight down and look great! However, I started having knee and hip pains that eventually caused me to stop running altogether. I gained 10 lbs after stopping and got the go ahead from my PT to start running again after a year. I started slowly and only ran 3 days a week (compared to my 6 days a week) and never more than 3 miles. After weeks, I never lost 1 lb and re-injured my knee. So I decided to start walking instead and after 3 weeks, I have lost 4 lbs! I have come to like walking now and my 2 teenage daughters go with me sometimes! So, I don't know the real answer, but running toned my legs quicker and walking lost the weight quicker.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    I've never been a runner, for some reason it kills my lungs. I've always stayed at a good weight by walking. Uphill spurts help, and you can also jog some of that too, just to increase your heart rate sometimes. I'm starting the July challenge, you should too!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    The advise I always give is to not focus on your calorie burn, but instead, focus on a fitness goal. So focus on running faster/longer, walking faster/longer, getting stronger, etc... And do the exercises that will support that goal, your calorie deficit will take care of your fat loss. 

1000 times this. Aiming for a higher calorie burn isn't a bad thing, but the best exercise is one you can enjoy doing consistently.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Apparently HRM's are not accurate. It's a myth that it is good to rely on them. The best indicator of effort is your own body. How do you feel when you run? Do you feel your heart pumping hard? Are you pushing yourself to a new level? Same with walking. Trust your body. Generally, you should be getting more out of running than walking, but it depends on how you are doing it. You can also try interval walking/running which is supposed to be really good for you. Walk for 2 minutes, then run really hard for 1 minute, then walk for 2, etc. Change up the intervals as you improve.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member

spot on
This discussion has been closed.