moved the scale - different weight 3x

Options
I weighed this morning and realized my scale had been displaying around the same number every time I step on. I thought this was a good thing, but knew I had overindulged lately and expected to be up a few pounds.

scale in normal spot read: 111.8
moved scale to a different tile in the bathroom: 112.2
moved scale across room: 113
moved scale to kitchen: 116

Do I average the numbers????? what do I do??? Now I have no clue which one it is. (however, I stepped on multiple times and it read 111.8 and 112.2 repeatedly)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Why would you move the scale....
    But yes a different surface equates to a different reading, I don't know the science behind it, its just true.
    Weigh yourself in same place each day/week is my advice.
  • kas1317
    kas1317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I moved it because I thought it was inaccurate when I knew I should be up in weight a bit, and it wasn't. Now....I don't know what to do!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    well you might find in the next few days you'll see a gain if you've been over indulging - it can take a little time to catch up with the scale is what I find.

Just keep your scale in the same place and weigh in there.... easy :smile:
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Overindulging doesn't always mean that the scale weight will go up the next day. Sometimes it does, sometimes people actually lose a bit the next day, and sometimes nothing changes.

Go with the weight from where your scale is normally placed.

Here's an example of all 3 happening in the same month:
    qqj9ydb4h56n.jpg

red circles - I overate and then the next day saw a jump in scale weight.
    green circles - I overate and the next day my weight was the same as the day before. No change.
    purple circles - I overate and the next day saw a 0.6 lb drop on the scale (with another drop the day after that).
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    From now on, always make sure the scales are in the same place when you weigh in. I always put my scale on a certain tile in the kitchen! Just go with the first reading for now.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    If you move the scale, step on it to activate it and get off immediately and let it set to 0. This allows the scale to tare to 0 and should give you more stable readings.
  • kas1317
    Options
    ok, so I will just take the reading it gave me in the same place as I always do. Just thought it was super weird that the weight wasn't up! then freaked out when it was 5 pounds more on the kitchen floor! AHHHH
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    If you move the scale, step on it to activate it and get off immediately and let it set to 0. This allows the scale to tare to 0 and should give you more stable readings.

This is what I do. I weigh in the same spot of my bathroom but I still tare to 0 so that I know it's relatively accurate.
  • laurenm0304
    laurenm0304 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You need to find a spot, weigh something you KNOW is a certain weight like a 2kg bag of something and just stick to that exact spot. I weigh one of my 2.5kg weights to ensure its accurate before stepping on.
  • kas1317
    Options
    that sounds like a plan!!!!! ill weigh a weight. awesome!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure your batteries aren't going bad. That can cause false readings.