Mindset for slow bulk

Options
Hi all. After dieting for 10 months and losing about 60lbs, I decided I wanted to try a slow bulk, despite still being around 18% bodyfat. However, psychologically I found it really difficult to control my calories at a small (250 cal) surplus and on a semi frequent basis would go way over. Consequently, I re-gained about 10lbs over the course of 4 weeks. I then became paranoid I'd put all the weight back on I'd worked so hard to lose, so have been cutting again for last couple of weeks. Anyone else have difficulty maintaining a small surplus? Mentally, I actually find it easier to cut than to slow bulk. Any tips?

Replies

• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Maybe stay off the scale and trust what you're trying to do. You'll have to gain a bit of weight to gain some muscle. Make a goal to not weigh for say a month and then reevaluate.
  • larsminnaar
    larsminnaar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your tdee is correct, train alot and set a goal weight for yourself. Lets say you want to gain 5kgs. Just stick to gaining that and if you feel its going to fast lower your surplus and reevaluate. And I disagree with Kim. D weigh yourself but dont let it scare you. Your body may just be holding more water it can vary daily :)
  • Traveezy
    Traveezy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Did you go straight from a calorie deficit to a 250 calorie surplus? If so that will put on fat quickly. You need to slowly raise your calories about 100 calories a week until your up to your surplus. At the deficit im at im planning on it taking about 10 weeks to go from my cut to bulk.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you are still 18%, I would keep cutting weight - you can still make strength and hypertrophy (size) gains while on a deficit unless you are an advanced lifter, especially with over 15% body fat. I would cut to about 12~15% bodyfat THEN bulk or slowbulk after. This way, you have a longer time to bulk and get more gains out of it.

That being said, if you are trying to transition from a cut to a slow bulk, you could start by adding 100 calories to your daily amount ever week until you eventually reach your desired numbers. This way you won't feel like you are stuffing your face daily. Its a slower process but diet&fitness is a marathon and not a sprint. Consistency is king.
  • daz2270
    daz2270 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Going to keep cutting for a while and try to get down to 12-13% bf, then reverse diet gradually in to 250 cal surplus. At least last few week have been a break from dieting and I feel motivated to try and cut the last 10 lbs.