Should women do shrugs.

Options
I'm doing a fitness program called Body Beast by Beachbody and it is really geared towards men. I'm asking should I do the shrugs in the program. Is there a benefit for me? I've heard some women bodybuilders so no, it's not a great look for women. I also know that it takes a lot, like probably steroids for a women to get big. I'm just asking will it look weird to develop that muscle? Kinda a weird question.

Replies

• groetzinger659
    groetzinger659 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think its weird. I do them. I have a weak shoulder and do them to build the surrounding muscles. you can start with light weights and see how it feels? I often do exercises geared for men because they are harder and I like a challenge.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've had a problem with my shoulder off and on for about 2 years. It's usually when I train chest though. It shoots from my collar bone across my shoulder. I wonder if that will help with it.
  • groetzinger659
    groetzinger659 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had a problem with my shoulder off and on for about 2 years. It's usually when I train chest though. It shoots from my collar bone across my shoulder. I wonder if that will help with it.

You can try it.

I have problem knees and they ache-then I started doing calve raises=and the pain is gone..i use weights and do these every third day.

So maybe it will help? If you have bone spurs in there it wont help but best to get it looked at via mri to find out exactly whats going on structurally. Sometimes you just have to lay off heavy weights for problem areas.

I cant do heavy weights and lunges yet. That flares my knee like nothing. I am still at 14lbs for these but I couldn't do them at all before without significant pain.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I do them. But I do bent over variations that work the lower traps and rhomboids more than the upper traps. Because after all, that's where I need to be strong while setting up my bench.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @groetzinger659 I love your attitude!!! I feel the same way.

Shrugs will only help you, unless you feel pain Shrug away!!!!

I love my muscle and strength....I will never be a supermodel so why not be strong!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do shrugs on silks(not with weight lifting) and i think it's great. good for shoulders and upper back.
    i do have tendonitis in my shoulders and that pain is similar to what you describe. I rest, go slow, and stretch
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Disregarding a muscle will make it weaker versus it's antagonistic muscle. If one worked on just their quads, but not their hamstrings, then the hamstring usually gets pulled or strained easily due to the strength of the quads overbearing the counter resistance of the hamstrings.
    Not training your traps for strength (not size) can pull your shoulders forward (think of how some older people look hunched over) and get worse over time.
    It doesn't have to be crazy. Just use a couple of moderately resisted dumbells and bang out a couple of sets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    [/quote]

Thanks!

• blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of shrugs as a bro-move, but reading this thread is quite interesting... lately, I've felt strain in my trap for a few days after lifting, and I had decided that it was due to my bench press. I lowered my weight on bench, but maybe what I need to do is counterbalance it with some shrugs! fascinating.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Not training your traps for strength (not size) can pull your shoulders forward (think of how some older people look hunched over)

The opposite of the shrugging motion is shoulder depression, which tends to have a positive effect on posture. Just saying. :+1:
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It's all about muscle balance. Muscle imbalance can lead to injury.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've always enjoyed doing shrugs, and they're a move you can go fairly heavy with.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i've never seen a woman in the gym with awkwardly large traps from doing shrugs.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking us? It's completely a personal thing.
  • kimdawnhayden
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Because I was genuinely curious and wondered if there was a benefit.
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i've never seen a woman in the gym with awkwardly large traps from doing shrugs.

I've honestly never saw a women do them ever at my gym. But I go to a YMCA.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Because I was genuinely curious and wondered if there was a benefit.
    SonyaCele wrote: »

I've honestly never saw a women do them ever at my gym. But I go to a YMCA.

I go to a YMCA. YMCA aren't necessarily non serious gyms. Here's a news article about power lifters (just a few, we also have a world masters champion/world record holder and lots more competitors).

And yup one of them is a woman :)

http://www.capebretonpost.com/Sports/2016-04-19/article-4503324/Local-lifters-bring-home-gold-from-New-Brunswick/1
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    She should if she wants to do them. :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Any workout geared towards men is fine for women, the thing is you don't have the hormones to look like a man so you have nothing to worry about. It's the same with a man doing a workout designed for women, it's not going to make them look female.

Exercises are exercises. If you do an all body balanced routine over time everything balances out.
  • crssftlv
    crssftlv Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I do them, love the look it gives.