exercise and weight gain/stalling?

Options
I have found that on days that I get a lot of exercise and still eat the way that I normally do, the next day when I weigh myself, the scale will actually be UP or at the same number. On days I don't get a lot of exercise or none, the scale stays the same or even goes down a tiny bit. To be fair, I have only lost 5 lbs, so I am by no means looking at a long range study here! :wink: I just find it curious that this happens and I don't want to be 'put off' of exercise by this effect! Why does this happen?

Replies

• MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When you tax your muscles they sometimes retain water to help with recovery. This would cause your weight to so up or stay the same.
  • kellywaller1
    kellywaller1 Posts: 101
    Options
    same thing happens to me, I always lose on the days I don't excersize. Thats why those rest days are so important!!!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Afterwgt training I'm up 1-2 lbs since your muscles hold on to water. Whereas during card you may lose wgt because of dehydration
  • Viewparadise
    Options
    Does drinking more water then flush it out, or is this an effect you have to live with until your body adjusts?
  • thunderthighs17
    Options
    yes drinking more water does flush it out and stretching also helps a lot too.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    When you tax your muscles they sometimes retain water to help with recovery. This would cause your weight to so up or stay the same.

agree
    Does drinking more water then flush it out, or is this an effect you have to live with until your body adjusts?

Drinking more water will help your body recover but the momentary weight gain is completely normal and will be totally different for everyone. When you work out hard you are damaging your muscles. The muscles are forced to repair themselves and get bigger/stronger each time. They hang on to water depending on how hard they need to work to recover.

Lowering your sodium intake & increasing your water intake as well as protein intake will definitely help reduce recovery time.

Good luck to you :heart:
  • Viewparadise
    Options

agree

Drinking more water will help your body recover but the momentary weight gain is completely normal and will be totally different for everyone. When you work out hard you are damaging your muscles. The muscles are forced to repair themselves and get bigger/stronger each time. They hang on to water depending on how hard they need to work to recover.

Lowering your sodium intake & increasing your water intake as well as protein intake will definitely help reduce recovery time.

Good luck to you :heart:

Thanks for your explanation and encouragment!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Weight gain and loss do not go in 24 hour cycles. It's possible/likely that what you are seeing on the scale has nothing to do with what you did (exercise) that day or even the previous one.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating your exercise calories or you will stall and/or GAIN.

DO NOT listen to people who tell you not to eat your exercise calories. It is fact proven over and over that you must eat them. If you doubt, ask a fit, healthy person or any athlete about their calorie intake.

Here is a great explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Good luck.

blessings.