Low carb foods?

Options
tzBIGWORM
tzBIGWORM Posts: 11 Member
Hi all. My dietician has restricted my daily carb intake to no more than 100g a day. Before, I was alloted 100-150g. With this new restriction, I find it hard to stay within it. I mean, I love cereal, but I see that 1 cup of Mini Wheats is a whooping 45g in carbs--that's almost half of my daily restriction. At that rate, I'm going to have to cut out cereal (which I love), just to stay within the daily restriction. Bread is obviously out the door, also--2 pieces of wheat is still ~30g, a third of my restriction. Is there anything I can do about this restriction, or will cereal and bread be ulmtimately out of my diet?

Can anyone provide me with a shopping list they go for to cut out carbs?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    check out the Paleo diet/Primal Blueprint, it will really help with eating clean, and it also tends to be lower carb

first LC choices that come to mind is meat (including eggs), pickles, cheese, berries, veggies, and heavy cream

PS feel free to check out my diary. It's lower carb :)
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Theres 45 calorie bread from Sara Lee that has 9 net carbs.
    Fiber one cereal also has 9 net carbs.
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles... They are made from tofu, but have VERY few carbs. I think maybe 2?!? I used that when I was detoxing off of carbs and thought that I was craving pasta. They were good, I thought. Also low calorie, 20 calories per serving and I thought the serving was large!

If you can eat pork rinds (I just can't, I can't get past the idea of it) there are soooo many recipes on how to use pork rinds to make crackers, cookies, etc. They are also very low carb.

I thought it would be much harder for me than it has been to get off the carbs... I'm not on a no-carb plan but I eat very low amounts. I've found fun ways to substitute things... Pizza has been the toughest! I love pizza. But I make a meat mixture thing and it tastes like pizza without crust. It works to cure my craving anyway! :wink:
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a lifesaver! I hardboil a bunch and then have at least 2 for breakfast, or scramble 2 if I have the time, along with some lean bacon. I also like Fage 2% (Greek) yogurt; it has lots of protein and only 8g of carbs - I'll sometimes add an artificial sweetener to it if I'm having cravings. Chicken breast is another lifesaver, as are low-fat cheeses. Natural peanut butter, too, but it still has about 6-7 carbs per serving, so you might want to watch that.

I think you'll be amazed at how much you can eat if you get rid of bread and cereal from your diet, or if you really miss the bread, just a few slices of low-carb bread every day. And don't forget veggies: cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, spinach, lettuces, peppers, cucumbers... pair them with some tasty dips like hummus or lower-fat ranch and you can stay well-within 100g of carbs, with some to spare.

Good luck!
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Most traditional cereal and bread it out :(

If you love bread and cereal make that your big carb for the day, and limit the others you dont enjoy as much. Also remember that a carb is total carb - fiber, so cereals like fiber plus are only 13 carbs. I like to eat this with some crushed fresh raspberries.

I really believe that you should only eat what you enjoy, noone ever stayed skinny eating vegies they hate, and cutting out everything they love so find a place to have the cereal and bread you love just not every day :) For breakfast Eggs have been great for me, liquid egg white omelts with fresh salsa, and once in a while i add 1 slice of whole wheat toast.

I also highly recommend reading the new atkins diet book, while i dont think its necessarlily the best diet for everyone the new book has alot of really helpful info for anyone reducing their carbs and the website has a lot of amazing recipes (my carb loving bf doesnt even notice they are low carb!

:)
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Have you tried Sara Lee - 45 Calories & Delightful Wheat Bread? It only has 90 calories in 2 slices and 19 carbs. It's the most normal tasting bread I've tried since I love to make a sandwich for lunch.
  • Crossfire77
    Crossfire77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs around 100 a day as well....I am loving the High Fiber, Low Carb Xtreme Wellness Tortilla by Ole for breakfast/wraps. It's working for me!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    bump to read when i have more time
  • shaggy63
    shaggy63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html I keep my carbs under 50. Forget the cereal. Go for bacon and eggs.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend portabello mushroom caps for bread/buns.

Tell me you can't drool over this bad boy:
    Picture%2B553.jpg

I don't miss bread at all, especially after discovering the portabello trick!
  • tzBIGWORM
    tzBIGWORM Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I just realized earlier today that eggs are good and filling at the same time. I had 3 hard boiled eggs for lunch (10AM) and I didn't eat again until 3PM. Definitely gonna get on top of the eggs, now.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I am a Type 1 diabetic and do relatively low carb if only to keep my blood sugars stable and use less insulin. I've found a great product for making wraps as an alternative to sandwiches. Most dieticians will tell a diabetic person to subtract fiber from the carb count if the fiber equals 5 or more grams per serving. The 'La Tortilla Factory' whole wheat wraps have 18g of carbs, but 12g of that is fiber......so only 6 net carbs! They don't taste horrible (though they are a bit different than normal flour tortillas), and it's one way I know I can eat a sandwich/wrap and not feel guilty! I find them in most large grocery stores.

Edit to add: I also eat a lot of veggies - they're all really low carb, with maybe the exception of sweet corn and potatoes. Also, as mentioned above - eggs! I also eat a lot of string cheese. Fiber One makes a low carb yogurt (about 8g net carbs in a serving...though the servings are a bit small). Pickles are something I love, and are low carb if you go with the dill or garlic variety vs. the sweet one. Most berries are low carb (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries). Peanut butter and nuts are pretty low carb, and filling (and have protein!). If you get a craving for something sweeter a little dark chocolate has a lot less carb value than milk chocolate. If you like pork rinds (I don't), those are pretty much carb-free. I know some people (chip addicts, lol) who've substituted those in place of potato/tortilla chips.
  • fitrobb
    fitrobb Posts: 16
    Options
    Tuna is good. Starkist has these packs of seasoned Tuna that are pretty good and inexpensive as well. I like lemon-pepper flavor. It is also rich in protein.