i am new to this and have some questions

Options
so i have noticed in alot of peoples diaries that they have a post workout snack/meal. is it better to eat after a workout? and what should i be eating? i noticed alot are doing protein shakes. and what is the purpose of eating right after? i am sorry if these are stupid questions but i am trying to learn as much as i can so i can lose the weight and get into shape :)

Replies

• jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Yes. Feed muscle tissue after a workout to speed recovery. When you workout, you are actually stressing and straining muscle tissue. Your body enjoys a healthy mix of proteins, carbs and amino acids to help rebuild any damaged tissue.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When you exercise you deplete your body of both calories and protein. The purpose of post workout nutrition is to replace those nutrients. Studies have shown that proper post-workout nutrition will improve gains from exercise, including increased fat loss.
  • jerome_ng88
    Options
    hey. im no expert but i think these are things i can think of.

when u have a protein shake after a workout, comprising of resistance training, the muscles that have been 'torn' are able to get sufficient protein to repair.

also, the protein shakes normally include some form of carbohydrate in them that help to replenish the energy supply that your muscles need earlier, hence reduce the post-exercise fatigue.

some people would have a pre workout snack of carbohydrates maybe an hour or so before a long cardio workout, but i guess this would be for people training up for an exercise goal rather than a weight goal.

hope im not wrong!

:)
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    are protein shakes good after a work out then?
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info guys!! this was very helpful :)
  • jerome_ng88
    Options
    well if u did a casual workout, a normal diet would be sufficient. if you tend to do high intensity workouts, protein shakes do help out lots.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    are protein shakes good after a work out then?

Depending on the workout... Yes! If you only do a 20-30 minute light workout, you likely wouldn't need a protein shake. If you hit the gym hard, or go for say a 10 mile run... then probably yes.