58 and want my life back

Options
I am 58 year old woman who has been trying to loose weight for the last 7 years. I used to be very active up until I moved my office home. At that point I stopped taking care of myself. But now my health is suffering and I want to go back to a healthy life style. My knees are shot and I am always tired. Is it possible to loose weight at 58?

Replies

• spankmonkeycfc
    spankmonkeycfc Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Always possible - knees shot, try cycling or swimming? It's low impacted so should get you back on track
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You betcha you can! 56 here and down 55lbs with more to go. My knees and ankles for that matter aren't the best anymore either although I can say MUCH better than they were 50 lbs ago. You got this, 1 step at a time, stick to your calorie goal, work in some exercise to strengthen those muscles.
  • maggiesue0215
    maggiesue0215 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I think that is what I miss the most. I did get in a workout this morning and now I feel pretty darn good.
  • Almostgaveup
    Almostgaveup Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm there ... all kinds of stuff are fallin apart lately ... weight loss is the key. I sure hope it can be done at our age. Others have done it so we should be able to too. No reason really why we can't right? I've pm'd you.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm here everyday for "mutual" support! Send a friend request is you would like daily support!
  • callemiramar
    callemiramar Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 60 this year, and I'm determined to get rid of 70-75 lbs of fat! I know it's doable, I've seen others in our age bracket do it with great results. The key is really logging everything you eat (my calories are set around 1700 for moderately active), and finding a type of exercise you like that won't strain your joints. Pilates and yoga would be great for strength and flexibility! Make a plan A, B, C. Life can get in the way, so find alternatives in your diet and exercise plans (5-10 min a day can be productive!). Anyone in this thread can send me a FR~ Good luck to us all!
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I think that is what I miss the most. I did get in a workout this morning and now I feel pretty darn good.

Good start. Just remember though, it's not just exercise. Accurately record your calorie intake each day. Consistently eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to loose weight at 58?

Absolutely yes!!!

I am 55 and I lost 75 pounds a few years ago - tuning up a bit now.
    My wife is down 39 pounds since January 10 and she is 56.
    BTW - she is now off of her blood pressure medicine. Big score there!!!
    We both have knee issues.

So - I cycle - no knee pain there. In fact, it actually improved the pain dramatically. I still can't do lunges but I can now do "half-way-down" squats. Walking and running do not hurt anymore either...but I hate running ;-)

We have a ton of recipes that are great tasting that the whole family loves and does not realize they are low cal.

Add me if you want.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It is possible..It isn't going to be easy. I am 57 and also work from home..I decided I needed to make a healthy change. I started on March 1st and am down 32.4# so far..it starts with your mind..make up your mind and then one step..one day at a time. You can do it!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    well..adding an image didn't work :)
  • Natasha8890
    Natasha8890 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've had some health issues and fatigue is a challenge for me as well. I'd be happy to travel this journey with you. You can add me if you like. (I'm 52)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Start with a physical at the doctor's office to see whether you are anemic, low on vitamin D, hypothyroid, etc. get the knees looked at as well so the doctor can tell you what kinds of exercises are safe for you at this point. Personally, I like gentle yoga on days when my arthritis is being horrible and going to the gym isn't gonna work. My knees are horrible and my back is not real fabulous either. Doing yoga regularly can help a lot.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    60 is the new 40! Please take a look at my profile; it's more than I can write here now. I am determined to be in better shape at 60 than I was at 30 (and I was in pretty amazing shape at 30!) I am always looking for active, positive, supportive people to share this road with. I get as much out of helping as I do from being encouraged, so add me if you like.
    Eat well, breathe deep, get strong, feel good...
  • mhampton52
    mhampton52 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am 58 year old woman who has been trying to loose weight for the last 7 years. I used to be very active up until I moved my office home. At that point I stopped taking care of myself. But now my health is suffering and I want to go back to a healthy life style. My knees are shot and I am always tired. Is it possible to loose weight at 58?

I am a 63 year old Christian Woman who has health problems but was wanting my life back also. Same situation as I stopped working and became less active because of illness and now I want to get weight off and get healthier. Add me if you would like for us to help encourage each other.
    Marilyn

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I don't know if it's possible at 58 (I failed at 58), but at 62, yes it is possible. Down 29 pounds so far since January, 5 pounds from my first and maybe final goal. Follow MFP and listen to those on here that can give good sound advice based on experience and knowledge. Most important is getting your mind in the right place.
  • easyabz
    easyabz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Absolutly, there are many body builders over 50