Jogging

Options
At 18 and half stone would that be to much weight for my kneed to start jogging?

Replies

• lynette4
    lynette4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started running again at 245 lbs. I went super slow and took a lot of walk breaks but I gradually got faster and farther. As long as you don't push to hard and to far right off the bat then you should be alright :)
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I started Couch to 5k last year at almost 240 lbs. I would recommend getting fitted for proper shoes as well. Once I was able to jog a 5k, I started getting shin splints. Once I got proper running shoes those went away.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I weighed about 235 when I started running and had no problems......my recommendation would be to walk first and make sure everything feels ok and then very gradually start introducing short, slow running intervals and let your body be your guide.
  • notright78
    notright78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input
  • jeremydillon80
    jeremydillon80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    And dont overdo it. Give your body a day or two to rest in between runs when beginning.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the others: start walking, add in jogging intervals and make sure you have good shoes.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i tried walking with jogging intervals, and used terrain to guess at the intervals, with some success. Then i got a c25k app, and started relying on it to guide me.

I am looking forward to Week 5 Day 3 tomorrow. From barely running 100 feet without wanting to throw up, tomorrow i'm pushing myself to meet the program's prescription: 20 minutes jogging with no break.

I'd highly recommend an app to guide you. Sometimes it felt too fast; sometimes too slow. But once i learned to breath properly and to keep my running pace reasonably slow, i've been feeling real progress in my distance and time capacity.

I used to hate running. but now i'm looking forward to it, and get itchy feet on recovery days!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm 227 pounds at 5'6" (Google tells me that's just over 16 stone) and I am doing c25k. I start week 4 tomorrow. I sometimes feel like my weight is a hindrance to my running. Like, I really want to go faster but I feel I can't because I just feel too heavy, you know? I am hoping as I continue to lose weight that my running will improve.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was 250 lbs when I started running this past January - I followed a Couch-to-5k plan (google it) and 3+ months later I am up to 2.5 miles without walking and down to 217 - follow the plan, listen to your body and don't be afraid to duplicate weeks if you need to ...

Good luck!!!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit below 18 stone (~245), and this morning i completed Week 5 Day 3 of my c25k program. This included a 20 minute jog with no rest.

when i started the program, week 1 day 1 required me to jog for 60 seconds at a time, and by the end of the first day (8 reps @ 60 seconds with 90 second recovery walking between) i could barely make it the full minute.

Today, i finished the twenty minutes solid; while i could definitely feel it, i could have pushed on further if there were... i dunno.. angry bees or something. :)