Killing sugar cravings..

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    hmmm sugar is yummy why would you want to not eat it?

so confused.

Too yummy is the problem. I don't think I'm happy with only 1 sugar, syrup glazed donut. Are you?

Lots of people can be satisfied with one donut. Maybe you're not one of them (and that's okay). But not everyone has to eliminate items from their diet in order to meet their goals.

Since people losing weight are often told that they have to resist or beat cravings or eliminate certain items, I think it's worth exploring if OP is trying to eliminate sugar because she has determined it is the best course of action for her or if she's doing it because she thinks that she has to.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I just watched two separate videos on YouTube that made claims on how to kill sugar cravings. One said to eat green beans when having a craving and the other said eat a teaspoon of coconut oil 3 times a day. These kinda made me LOL but has anyone tried either of these? :)

@Septemberfire the green bean is a new one on me but I see you would be trading a carb with no fiber for a carb with fiber since green beans is a whole food.

I do 5 tablespoons for coconut oil daily so I know that one works for me. Coconut oil is Anti- Bacterial, Viral and Fungal so it is known to help kill of the overgrowth of bad microbes in the GI tract that can craving signals to the brain demanding the bad critter to be fed with sugar.

I killed my cravings in two hellish weeks by going off of sugar and most all carbs (eat < 50 grams daily) as of Oct 2014.

Best of success if you have cravings you want to stop. Who knows what will work in your case. We are all different. I know stopping the cravings game me a new lease on life at the age of 63. It is good to see young people thinking about ways of eating to gain/keep good health.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    The longer I eat healthy and nutritious meals, the more sweet sugary treats taste and some are just over the top and not attractive. I still occasionally indulge but I don't keep trigger foods around. Things like the single serve cups of Hagen Dasz ice cream are nice to grab every now and again. I would plan for a treat here and there and try to keep things you overeat out of the house. If you want a sugary treat bad enough, you can walk to the store to buy a single serving, right? You'll burn off some it that way, while still not making it off limits.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I just watched two separate videos on YouTube that made claims on how to kill sugar cravings. One said to eat green beans when having a craving and the other said eat a teaspoon of coconut oil 3 times a day. These kinda made me LOL but has anyone tried either of these? :)

@Septemberfire the green bean is a new one on me but I see you would be trading a carb with no fiber for a carb with fiber since green beans is a whole food.

I do 5 tablespoons for coconut oil daily so I know that one works for me. Coconut oil is Anti- Bacterial, Viral and Fungal so it is known to help kill of the overgrowth of bad microbes in the GI tract that can craving signals to the brain demanding the bad critter to be fed with sugar.

I killed my cravings in two hellish weeks by going off of sugar and most all carbs (eat < 50 grams daily) as of Oct 2014.

Best of success if you have cravings you want to stop. Who knows what will work in your case. We are all different. I know stopping the cravings game me a new lease on life at the age of 63. It is good to see young people thinking about ways of eating to gain/keep good health.

5 tablespoons (68 grams) of coconut oil is 585 calories. This may work for someone with a higher calorie allowance, but anyone attempting this on a lower calorie diet could struggle to meet their other nutritional needs if they're allocating this many calories to coconut oil.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I guess what I'd define a sugar craving as is I think about something sweet I'd like to eat, eat it, and then want more. Last night I had a fiber one brownie, then a fudgecicle, then a werther's original, then a few chocolate covered pretzels. Before long I was over my calories because I also ate fast food last night for the first time in a while and that took up a lot of my calories. It mainly has to do with chocolate. They say if you go off sugar the desire for something sweet subsides, but I've never had that happen even when I went off sugar. It did get a little better, but that's all. I've been that way every since I was a girl but only started gaining some weight in my thirties. I'm thinking I should just stop buying chocolate anything but that sounds really depressing.

Did you eat many carbs in your fast food last night? Look and see if your eating of carbs call for more carbs when your sugar level starts to drop a bit. You are on the right track I expect because you are thinking about your Way Of Eating. Were you figure it out in two weeks, months or years it will not matter as long as you learn a way of eating that stops any unwanted cravings period.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    hmmm sugar is yummy why would you want to not eat it?

so confused.

Too yummy is the problem. I don't think I'm happy with only 1 sugar, syrup glazed donut. Are you?

Yep, I have no problem being done with a food, once I've eaten my allotted portion of it. This includes sugary ones.Yesterday I actually stopped at a local bakery so my daughter could get a donut after her state testing. It didn't even cross my mind to get one for myself, because I hadn't factored it into my calories for the day (I pre-log). There was no big dilemma at the donut counter, I didn't have a huge craving to eat 5 donuts, or have little voices in my head telling me to eat allz the donuts. I didn't assault the donut lady and run out of the building with arm fulls of donuts, stuffing them into my mouth as the cops chased me down the road. Instead, my daughter picked out her cream filled bear claw, we walked out of the bakery and my day went on as planned.

At some point you just have to learn that food does not control you, you control food. I'm the boss, not the donut. And if I want one, then I pre-log it and make it fit into my calories. This allows me to continue eating all the foods I enjoy, without having to cut anything out. It's a more realistic and sustainable way of doing things for the long term. How I eat now is something I've been able to do for the last 3 years of maintenance and it's something I can do for the next 40 years of maintenance as well.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Best of success if you have cravings you want to stop. Who knows what will work in your case. We are all different. I know stopping the cravings game me a new lease on life at the age of 63. It is good to see young people thinking about ways of eating to gain/keep good health. [/quote]

@GaleHawkins are you at maintenance ? I'm thinking I may have some of those bad microbes going on but all I could fit in my daily calorie goal of the coconut oil would be a couple teaspoons because it's 38 cal per tsp. I'm on 1410 cal per day.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I don't get sugar cravings. What I get is chocolate doughnut/cinnamon roll/chocolate covered ice cream cravings lol. It can be sugar free and I wouldn't care. Whatever your vice is it really doesn't matter. The result is the same, it's mind over matter. If you've got the calories left, it doesn't matter. ;) Ok maybe macro-wise it does but hey.. I'm not gonna deny myself everything all the time, otherwise what's the point?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

5 tablespoons (68 grams) of coconut oil is 585 calories. This may work for someone with a higher calorie allowance, but anyone attempting this on a lower calorie diet could struggle to meet their other nutritional needs if they're allocating this many calories to coconut oil.

I do not advise people on what to eat because anyone who takes eating advice from social media is already at risk. :)
    SM is a good place to hear about things that you can Google then read the pros and cons on things of interest before acting.

About 2000 of my 2500+ daily calories come for fats so my coconut oil makes up a 25% of them. My macro is 5% Carbs, 15% Protein and 80% Fats. I eat this way for joint and muscle pain control and to reverse my rush to a premature death.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I do not advise people on what to eat because anyone who takes eating advice from social media is already at risk. :)
    SM is a good place to hear about things that you can Google then read the pros and cons on things of interest before acting.

About 2000 of my 2500+ daily calories come for fats so my coconut oil makes up a 25% of them. My macro is 5% Carbs, 15% Protein and 80% Fats. I eat this way for joint and muscle pain control and to reverse my rush to a premature death.

"I do 5 tablespoons for coconut oil daily so I know that one works for me. Coconut oil is Anti- Bacterial, Viral and Fungal so it is known to help kill of the overgrowth of bad microbes in the GI tract that can craving signals to the brain demanding the bad critter to be fed with sugar" certainly looks like advice to me. I don't know about the evidence that coconut oil has anti-microbal properties that somehow survive the digestive process to be able to impact microbes in the GI tract (and that these microbes are responsible for making someone want sugar), I just think it's important for anyone thinking of implementing your plan to understand that consuming hundreds of calories in coconut oil may make it harder to manage one's weight.
  • Parfumista
    Parfumista Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    sugar is a carb and carbs give you energy so don't tell me there is no nutritional value.

Processed sugar or natural sugar how are they different when ingested and digested?

and blood sugar more stable??? what are you talking about?

sugar free chocolate that's funny you realize it has lactose in it right? sugar...

as well sugar free chocolate uses maltitol (a sugar alcohol) which in excess can cause digestive issues among other things...yah I want that over reg chocolate.

Carbs in form of fruit and veggies have a lot of nutritional value. Carbs in oats and rice as well. Those are combined with a lot of vitamins, minerals and fiber.
    Sugar cravings, in my experience however, usually mean a sugary treat like donuts, sweets, milk chocolate. I don't think we have to argue about that being less nutritive?
    Processed sugar (as in "things some people cut out of their diet") gives energy and nothing else. On a board, where the majority of people tries to create an energy deficit, it is logical for it to be the first thing people are eliminating from their diet, especially if they have sugar cravings which occasionally results in overeating of sugary things.

As I said, "natural" sugar (for me the sugar in fruits, dairy, veggies etc.) comes with vitamins / minerals / protein, which is a plus. Then there's fiber which is good for your digestion.
    Since you seem baffled by me mentioning more stable blood sugar levels, here's a good article on the topic: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/list-slowrelease-carbohydrate-foods-1677.html

And lastly... yeah, sugar-free chocolate has lactose in it. For the brand I'm using right now, 2.2 g of sugar / 100 g chocolate. Four pieces (the max I eat daily) have 0.4 g. Four pieces of regular milk chocolate = 10.4 g. Please tell me you notice those numbers are vastly different, especially for someone like me on a low carb diet. :D

TeaBea wrote: »
    Sorry, but I don't buy the "at least not at this point in their journey" part. For me, the lifestyle change needs to happen while I am losing weight, because the being able to handle sugar in moderation has never appeared when I got to goal. I've been at goal a couple of times.

For me, moderation is something that takes practice. I don't want to start practice when I get to goal. Too many people think they are "done" that they can relax when they get to goal (I'm guilty). Relaxing and not knowing portion sizes for foods you've been excluding for awhile, is not a good combination.

People with medical issues ......of course, but OP did not mention anything like that.

Fair enough. I admire people who display that amount of willpower to eat just a bit of something, I'm not good at it however. My version of moderation is having something I don't include in my daily diet when I'm eating out with friends, which is usually once a month.
    This - for me - results in way less sugar cravings than trying to have a little bit every other day.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not big on the idea of substitute-this-for-that.

I adore sugar. What's helpful to me is to eat a serving size. I can kill a whole sleeve of Chips Ahoy or have the recommended serving size and get up and go do something. It's a choice. And (for me) it takes practice, but I know that I have the ability, because I've done it.

Edited to add: the Chips Ahoy must be cold.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    The longer I eat healthy and nutritious meals, the more sweet sugary treats taste and some are just over the top and not attractive. I still occasionally indulge but I don't keep trigger foods around. Things like the single serve cups of Hagen Dasz ice cream are nice to grab every now and again. I would plan for a treat here and there and try to keep things you overeat out of the house. If you want a sugary treat bad enough, you can walk to the store to buy a single serving, right? You'll burn off some it that way, while still not making it off limits.

I think that's probably what I should do, is stop buying the trigger food. I always think I can eat just a little, and some times I do, then other times I don't. Can't walk to the store though, it's about 15 miles away through narrow country roads ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2016
    Options

@GaleHawkins are you at maintenance ? I'm thinking I may have some of those bad microbes going on but all I could fit in my daily calorie goal of the coconut oil would be a couple teaspoons because it's 38 cal per tsp. I'm on 1410 cal per day. [/quote]

@SeptemberFeyre More or less at maintenance for the last year I guess but I did not plan it that way. Eating this way I drifted down from my 250 pound high (several times in the past) to 200 and stopped losing. While I would like to lose another 25 pounds at the age of 65 rebuilding my damage from 40 years of carb cravings leading to carb abuse is my only goal. Weight will manage itself when my hormones all get back in balance.

If one is going to start on coconut oil one teaspoon would be a good starting point.

No one can successfully lose weight and keep if off if blood glucose levels are approaching 100 as I understand the medical research. While carbs jack up my BG levels fats do not so over time my weight should slide down a bit.

If I had not started a Way Of Eating that totally killed all my carb cravings I knew I was going to die fat and soon.

What WOE will work for you I do not know but I am 99.9% certain you will find a WOE that works for you within the next two years. Pick a WOE that sounds of interest to you and do it for 90 days see what you think. Do nothing if you are OK with it, modify it or ditch it if you think best. Google will be your friend. SM can give both good and deadly advice so beware. What maybe good advice for one person could be deadly to another.

Hang in there.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    +1 for Parf.

As an anecdote, last night my bingeing included a big bowl of ice cream + strawberry jam for extra sweetness + dried cranberry + walnut. Today, 11:40 am, I'm feeling a noticeably more intense hunger.

I'm very good at managing my hunger through out the day which is the key to my weight loss. But *right at this moment* I can definitely feel how it's tough and often result in failing for people eating loads of sugar, sweet to fend off hunger.

Cheers
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm such a sweet tooth person so i have 2 options depending how i feel. Either a banana (slice it thin in a bowl makes it feel like more) with half a teaspoon of sweetner and half a teaspoon of cinnamon. Or i also have a stock of kitkats in different flavours and single finger twixs etx which all come in under 120calories so arent too awful for when you have to have chocolate